Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Bike theft

Jameshambleton

Bike theft

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 15 May 2017, 8:19 pm

So with the upcoming and alarming rise of bike thefts of late in the general London area (including my friends bike whose was stolen from a dealers workshop via ram raiding). 

There has been an attempted bikejacking in Blackburn and I know this is rather close to a few members on here.

David Low wrote:Bike jackings going on in Blackburn now so be careful people. Today I passed 2 bike's on my way to fill up and while at the garage I seen they had turned round and were now across the street waiting, I filled up and set off, then they set off, I skipped traffic at Ewood to the front and the next thing one of them had drove along the payment and was next to me on the left hand side and said nice bike while the other pulling up on the right.. I already had a bad feeling so as he went to grab my bar's I set off like a fukin rocket through the red light.. Then i was chased by these 2 foreign people on cbr 125's wanting my bike for about 20min before just leaving them for dust. So be aware of the people who's pulling up next to you at the lights and stay safe

One all black or a dark blue no stickers and in very rough shape and the other red, white and blue with all the cbr stickers 

I figure this is a conversation for discussion so would be interested in seeing other view points on this.
Vardypeeps
Two Tone
Two Tone

Re: Bike theft

Post by Vardypeeps on Mon 15 May 2017, 8:28 pm

Been worrying about this coming up North. Glad I've re-fitted the standard mirrors.
Eyes open fellas! Glad he got away but he had to jump a red Sad

Are there rules on carrying a breaker bar on the bike "just in case I break down" kinds way? ;P
ceejay
the 800
the 800

Post by ceejay on Mon 15 May 2017, 9:26 pm

Honestly Can't say I worry about this, ride around London regularly. The events are pretty shocking and blood boiling when they do happen so are picked up by media but still think we are talking low probability when riding your average new-ish bike... and almost zero when you're riding a CB500 - another advantage!

Despite saying that would it sometimes play on my mind if I was riding around on a high end Ducati? Probably! Obviously the sooner this 'trend' dealt with the better...
Fair Weather Rider
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Fair Weather Rider on Tue 16 May 2017, 9:59 am

What about some sort of cut out device fitted to a lanyard, that is connected to yourself, so that if you are yanked off the bike, it cuts out and is immobilised.

cheers
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Tue 16 May 2017, 10:14 am

I see kids' trials bikes have those sorts of lanyard cut-outs. Not sure how or if they could be adapted for normal road bikes. Nor how viable they'd be.

As for my own anxieties around getting my bike nicked whilst on it, I'm very complacent about these kinds of things. This is because I live in a rural place where there's not a lot of aggro or crime - that said, my CRM was stolen and the bastard came into the house to get the keys while my two kids were asleep upstairs. Stealing my bike's one thing - put putting my kids in potential danger escalates it massively. Supposing one of them had come downstairs for a drink or something - and disturbed them.

So I shouldn't be complacent. Bad shit happens even out in the sticks.
ratatooie
Running out of unique names

Post by ratatooie on Tue 16 May 2017, 12:07 pm

There does seem to have been a spike judging by social media and similar posts on the various forums and websites that I visit. The stats seem to back up the spike too in London. I wonder why now?  

It is very uncommon in the IoM because, well, it is an island and every bike and van etc that comes in or out is checked so they would not be able to move it. Needless to say the IoM is very bike friendly and also has a very active grapevine so if someone was robbing bikes, they would not be doing so for very long without the police or "concerned citizens" doing something about it. 

I remember a recent case where a car was stolen from someones driveway because the would-be-thief needed to catch the boat. He was stopped and picked up before he even got on the boat so word travels fast! 

A nifty security device that one of my Dad's friends showed me is one that locks on to the front brake lever and compresses it so the bike is immobile. I think it is called a Croc Lock.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Tue 16 May 2017, 7:10 pm

ratatooie wrote:A nifty security device that one of my Dad's friends showed me is one that locks on to the front brake lever and compresses it so the bike is immobile. I think it is called a Croc Lock.

Nope, they'll just cut the brake line, bastards.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 16 May 2017, 8:25 pm

teamster1975 wrote:
ratatooie wrote:A nifty security device that one of my Dad's friends showed me is one that locks on to the front brake lever and compresses it so the bike is immobile. I think it is called a Croc Lock.

or they'll just use a 10mm spanner and a screwdrivers and unbolt the lever, either that of belt the lever with a hammer so it snaps, they don't care
ratatooie

Post by ratatooie on Wed 17 May 2017, 11:22 am

Jameshambleton wrote:

teamster1975 wrote:

or they'll just use a 10mm spanner and a screwdrivers and unbolt the lever, either that of belt the lever with a hammer so it snaps, they don't care

We can't win can we! I thought it looked quite nifty, but cutting the line would definitely do the job, albeit they lose their best stopping power. 

I guess the Croc Lock is positive in that it provides a meaty visual deterrent for the opportunist thief and is fairly unusual so may serve to put them off if they can't immediately work it out.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 17 May 2017, 10:15 pm

I reckon that bike jacking is pretty rare, however it always pays to keep an eye out on what is around you.

From looking at videos on youtube a lot of this bike crime (thefts and bike jacking) is performed by youths on various kinds of scooter/maxi-scooter, often without number plates, so if you see something odd then don't hang around, get out of there, if you can.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 24 Oct 2017, 1:16 am