Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

CB500 front wiring connectors - photos wanted!

Drago76
Squiddy
Squiddy

CB500 front wiring connectors - photos wanted!

Post by Drago76 on Sun 14 May 2017, 3:55 pm

Hello!
i have cb500s 1998.
long story short, i buy a main wiring loom from cb500 2000, and found, a connectors in tail matches perfectly, but in head differs seriously.
as so, anyone can give me a photos of cb500 around 2000 year models ( i think, 2001,1999, 1998 also pass)  front side connectors - a instrument cluster, a headlight and sidelight, a both front turn signals, and from both steering switch clusters - right and left.

i have principal electrical scheme from haynes manuals, but anyway, there is not so easy to understand, what to do. if i get understand, where each of connector from my new loom goes, that do things much easier for me.
thanks in advance!
Jameshambleton

Re: CB500 front wiring connectors - photos wanted!

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 14 May 2017, 5:00 pm

cb500 and the cb500s use different connectors for the clocks. 
You would need to get a cb500s loom and not a cb500 one.
Drago76
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Drago76 on Sun 14 May 2017, 5:03 pm

too late. 
now i must rewire the things, and for that i need pics of connectors, as i write in my first message....
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 14 May 2017, 5:29 pm

I am sure that the s model has more wires going into the connection blocks than there is on the naked. @wornsprockets might be able to help as he has both models
Drago76
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Drago76 on Sun 14 May 2017, 5:49 pm

as i can see from haynes manual, cb500s have one wire more to instrument cluster - he have different indicators for left and right blinkers, while cb500 have only one indicator for both blinkers.

but, sure, addiional opinions and info is welcome, as so as connectors photos and advices.
Drago76
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Drago76 on Tue 16 May 2017, 7:44 am

looks like, here no one have a cb500 ? Very Happy
very interesting "club"...Very Happy
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 17 May 2017, 11:10 pm

Hello!

The difference between the CB500S and the CB500 isn't very much, here is the relevant part of the diagram:

So the only difference is the green wire, which *is* needed on the CB500S and *isn't* needed on the CB500 - you either need to not connect it, or add it in, depending on which way round your situation is.
Drago76
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Drago76 on Thu 18 May 2017, 6:39 am

@eternally_troubled wrote:Hello!

The difference between the CB500S and the CB500 isn't very much, here is the relevant part of the diagram:

So the only difference is the green wire, which *is* needed on the CB500S and *isn't* needed on the CB500 - you either need to not connect it, or add it in, depending on which way round your situation is.

you are a truly genius!
yes, i too study that diagramm, and based on diagramm, yes, difference is very minor.
in real life it was much different - both 6-pin connectors to instrument cluster differ by positions ( wire colors by the same position). that's mean i must cut that wires, and reconnect in another order.
with left handlebar switch cluster is the same story, and also the connectors itself is different.
in cb500 there is no headlight connector coming out from main wiring loom, also blinker connectors and sidelight connector is absent in cb500 wiring loom.

i do not absolutely idiot, and if i beg for help with pictures, then, there is real reason for them...Razz
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 20 May 2017, 5:45 pm

I had a few moments today so I took some photos of my CB500 (V mode-year, naked - 1997) that might help you.

The connectors, that connect between the loom on the bike and the bit that runs up the headstock to the clocks, are inside the headlight:

I took some close up ones of the connectors:

This picture is the connector on the right of the Haynes diagram which has the turn signal, oil pressure, neutral and one of the high-beam connections.

This one has the other high-beam connection, the sidestand connections and a few other things.

I think your modification will need to be in the area of the red connector.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 21 May 2017, 11:20 am

Sorry i just saw this post now.... i have cb 500s and cb 500v ... ive had s apart at front wiring wise but i havent had  cb500v apart as its never giving electrical trouble yet and its my daily runner...sorry...so i wouldnt be much help with wiring
also the cb 500's is back together so i should be able to ride it in next few days....
Drago76
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Drago76 on Sun 21 May 2017, 4:29 pm

At first: thank you very much for your photos and time.

at second: but i want a bit more Very Happy

say, that two single connectors - with brown and green wire - coming from main ( general) loom ( cable) - where they go? to sidelight lamp in headlight?

here is my situation in short:

http://sten.lv/Transf/CB500s/IMG_3689.jpg

instrument cluster connectors from instrument cluster side:

http://sten.lv/Transf/CB500s/IMG_3692.jpg

left switch handlebar connectors:

http://sten.lv/Transf/CB500s/IMG_3694.jpg

old wiring loom with melted wires:

http://sten.lv/Transf/CB500s/IMG_3701.jpg
http://sten.lv/Transf/CB500s/IMG_3703.jpg

current situation:

http://sten.lv/Transf/CB500s/IMG_3743.jpg

now i plan to re-connect new loom to old instrument cluster connectors, and also to left handlebar switch assembly.
need to see, from where i can get signal for both front blinkers, for sidestand lamp, and for headlight.

looks like, i have fake economy by buing cb500 wiring loom for 20 euro instead of cb500s for 50 eur, but now it is too late anyway - there is no way to back, we need go ahead! Very Happy
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 21 May 2017, 8:11 pm

@Drago76 wrote:At first: thank you very much for your photos and time.

at second: but i want a bit more :D

say, that two single connectors - with brown and green wire - coming from main ( general) loom ( cable) - where they go? to sidelight lamp in headlight?

Yes, they are the sidelight - I have no idea how they connect on the CB500S, other than what you can get from Haynes!
Drago76
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Drago76 on Sun 21 May 2017, 8:30 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:

@Drago76 wrote:At first: thank you very much for your photos and time.

at second: but i want a bit more Very Happy

Yes, they are the sidelight - I have no idea how they connect on the CB500S, other than what you can get from Haynes!

on cb500s there was small 2-pin connector.

ok, and a green 6pin and black 4 pin goes to left handlebar switch assy?

on cb500s there is a white 9 pin connector and white 2 pin connector

and last two connectors in the loom, at the end of it, 6 pin white, and 6pin red, goes to instrument cluster?

from where comes headlight connector wires, and from where - front blinker wires?
Drago76
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Drago76 on Mon 22 May 2017, 6:49 pm

today i cut off  last two ( instrument cluster?) connectors from cb500 wiring harness.
also sort a bit wires, clean ends of instrument cluster wires for can be soldering, and connect battery for a some moments.
measured, those single green and brown wires really is sidelight ones, and even start motorcycle for some moments, to see, it was working, and my newly bought voltage regulator from ebay, for 14 USD is working.
on a week try to start connect and soldering instrument cluster connections, and then - left handlebars switch assembly. hope,all goes well.

very dirty job - all those glue on wires from isolation tape, silicone, and so on. work mostly in working gloves...
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 24 May 2017, 11:14 pm

@Drago76 wrote:
very dirty job - all those glue on wires from isolation tape, silicone, and so on. work mostly in working gloves...

Yes, the 20-odd years tends to make the glue stick better to the wires than the tape and the whole lot turns into a sticky mess....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 7:42 am