Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

how much shit do you get for riding a cb500??

trevor machine
the 900
the 900

how much shit do you get for riding a cb500??

Post by trevor machine on Mon 08 May 2017, 8:27 am

It's apparently been decided by all and sundry - friends, acquaintances (inc. other IAM members) and also total strangers, etc. etc. - that I need a better, bigger, dearer, flashier, newer bike. Younger riders tell me this. Older riders tell me this. Faster riders tell me this. Hell, even slower riders tell me this!!

To friends, I say something along the following lines - do you feel I hold you back? Not one of them will say yes (because they know it would be glaringly untrue). I regularly push pace - on the technical stuff, the straighter shit, when filtering, in rural, in urban. Etc. etc. I'm not "fast" - but I'm definitely not slow. I say - when not leading (which is the minority of the time) - if you guys want to push on, go for it. Just slow down a bit at junctions so I can see where you go. And that's what happens - and nobody complains, because I keep them in sight, unless stuff gets very twisty and bushy.

I think partly it's that my bike "lets us down" a bit. Okay, I don't spit and polish it. But it's clean, has absolutely no corrosion, runs well and stops pretty much as it should. It just doesn't gleam and sparkle. I ride almost every day, though. It gets a *lot* of use. It doesn't NEED polishing. It just wants its pivot points cleaning and oiling at very regular intervals, oil changes, and chain cleaned and lubricated after each ride. All of which it gets. No need for any fucking pampering and waxing and all this other bullshit that far too many other bike owners seem to be into, it transpires. A world that I was blissfully unaware of until very recently.

In a nutshell - I don't get why an increasing number of people seem dissatisfied with *my* bike. It rarely holds *them* back - and I don't often feel like it holds *me* back either. Maybe they're just being nice and think wow if he enjoys THAT bike, just imagine how much he'd enjoy THIS bike (a bike that's bigger, faster and newer, i.e.). And yet I don't quite buy that. I think something else is at work in the psychology of all this. But I'll be fucked if I can suss out what, exactly.

I've never understood "pride of ownership" stuff. I want only to ride a bike. Also, and this is important, I don't feel that the limiting factor in my riding is the bike - the CB500. The limiting factor is me, the rider. Yes there are times when a bigger bike could pile me out of corners faster, with its bigger, more accessible torque, etc. etc. And likewise there are times when straight line speed could fall more readily to hand. But meh - there's not a LOT in it. So yes - once again I don't get why there's so much explicit disparagement. Don't get me wrong, ultimately it's water off the proverbial duck's back. I keep riding my 500 (because it seems to do more or less everything I want it to do, when I want it to do it - and if it doesn't, that's because of me and not the bike). I just don't understand the motivations of others in all this.
Jameshambleton

Re: how much shit do you get for riding a cb500??

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 08 May 2017, 8:43 am

I think you go to the wrong places and/or speak to the wrong people. 

I've never had a bad word about mine even with the dented (pummeled) end can, scrated rad panels, peeling paint on the front mud guard, the paint peeling off my mirror stems, or even the top box and luggage rack. 

I've never really held anyone up with mine apart from two mates but they're complete nutters, that and my riding isn't at the standard that it was last year yet. Somethings holding me back but I'm not sure what.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Mon 08 May 2017, 9:39 am

Jameshambleton wrote:Somethings holding me back but I'm not sure what.

Possibly James, you have decided that the primary aim of any ride is to survive it ? Smile
Fair Weather Rider
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Fair Weather Rider on Mon 08 May 2017, 9:41 am

Well said, Trevor Machine.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Mon 08 May 2017, 10:01 am

Beresford wrote:

Possibly James, you have decided that the primary aim of any ride is to survive it ? Smile

Genuine chuckle at that. And a slightly guilty one too. ; - )
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Mon 08 May 2017, 10:15 am

Jameshambleton wrote:I think you go to the wrong places and/or speak to the wrong people.

I agree - my only caveat is that I kind of go everywhere and speak to everyone.

Less glibly, I did have a "senior" amble over at squires the other week and he looked at my bike and said "Are they as good as everyone says they are?" I briefly arched a Roger Moore eyebrow to test for bantering sarcasm - but the guy showed no sign of extracting the micturation so I took him at his word and said not really no.

I know, I know - I let the side down. However I did go on to elaborate in a somewhat more flattering manner. Particularly as the guy looked a little deflated by my negative rejoinder. I said the bike's strongest point is arguably its longevity - and that its modest power at least has the advantage that a license is more likely to survive without too many points accruing. I also said that overtakes need more careful planning and that, similarly, it becomes less easy to acquire a point-and-squirt type mentality because the "squirt" isn't very squirty. CB500 riders have to embrace corners - whether they want to or not. Otherwise the bike's BHP limitations will soon be felt, and seen by others. I think the guy was a bit of a Honda man because he listened quite attentively to all this and proceeded to talk about other Hondas he'd owned from that '90s era - his fave being the vfr750, of which he still owned and ran a brace of. But from what I could tell those two bikes were merely the tip of a large motorcycular iceberg - because between him and his son, a large number of other makes and models were also mentioned. Anyway - I digress. "Are they as good as everyone says they are?" - An unrepresentative but no less positive comment, from a random person on a bike cafe carpark!
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 08 May 2017, 10:16 am

Once again great  write up trevor.... yep i get stick over my cb as i rarely wash it..... but its usually from newbies that know no better.... that flashes biggest horse power bike is the best.....so they say but they then wonder why they end up in a hedge when they get big bike....
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 08 May 2017, 11:08 am

trevor machine wrote:
Beresford wrote:
Genuine chuckle at that. And a slightly guilty one too. ; - )

More than likely the current thought of if I come off it's then engine covers that will get it.... though I have had the front shaking its head while coming out a few corners recently. Not to mention having the bike with both wheels off the ground while been mid corner https://goo.gl/maps/mR8kCfkD8vG2

@Beresford a what sorry, thought the aim was to have fun?
ratatooie
Running out of unique names

Post by ratatooie on Mon 08 May 2017, 11:29 am

Interesting post! 

Conversations about bikes with strangers (a very common thing in the IoM!) tend to revolve around the supersports more than anything else this time of year for obvious reasons, but whenever I mention I have a CB500 project on the go, most folk seem interested and make some sort of remark along the lines of "they were good wee bikes" or "I had one when I worked as a courier and it served me well" or "that was back when Honda made them well"...etc.

The only somewhat negative comments come from either the tasselled Harley crowd or the carbon fibered race replica 1000cc guys, but even then most of the latter are aware of the CB500's racing pedigree anyway. No one dismisses the CB out of hand or outright calls it crap or whatever.

Maybe you are just letting the few negative comments/banter or experiences dominate your memory over any positive or neutral chats? When I got the odd similar comment while riding my 400cc DRZ, I just interpreted it as the other person having such a good time on their bike that they wanted to share the experience and that they probably didn't mean their comment to come off as negatively as it did. 

Other peoples' opinions only matter if you want them to!
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Mon 08 May 2017, 1:47 pm

I think it's a case of ignore the tossers. As long as the mechanicals are sound it really doesn't matter how shiny it is or how many cc.
My CB is looking its age now but I have never had grief from another biker, I still nod at every bike even though the power rangers and HOG members are oblivious, no skin off my nose Smile
Crash- Elmit

Post by Crash- Elmit on Mon 08 May 2017, 4:28 pm

I had a chap come over to look at mine today, and his comment was " I've come to have a look at a real bike"

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Mon 08 May 2017, 6:06 pm

More people admire mine, than criticise it. To be honest, I don't really care what anyone thinks about it. I like it, I know why I like it, and that's all that matters.  

If they think their £15k Beemer is better, so be it.  I know it's not - I have one as well.  If my garage was burning down, the CB would be one of the first I'd rescue.  The Beemer could be left to burn!
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 08 May 2017, 6:40 pm

sullivj wrote:More people admire mine, than criticise it. To be honest, I don't really care what anyone thinks about it. I like it, I know why I like it, and that's all that matters.  

If they think their £15k Beemer is better, so be it.  I know it's not - I have one as well.  If my garage was burning down, the CB would be one of the first I'd rescue.  The Beemer could be left to burn!

What about Pam?
Fair Weather Rider
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Fair Weather Rider on Mon 08 May 2017, 7:02 pm

sullivj wrote:More people admire mine, than criticise it. To be honest, I don't really care what anyone thinks about it. I like it, I know why I like it, and that's all that matters.  

PMSL Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Mon 08 May 2017, 8:12 pm

Jameshambleton wrote:
What about Pam?

'PAM' would be first (she's irreplaceable) followed by the CB.

trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Mon 08 May 2017, 9:07 pm

The CB500's work-rate is pretty phenomenal. It definitely punches above its weight, and pisses other riders off by its resolute refusal to disappear once and for all from their mirrors. Keep the faith, brethren.
Vardypeeps
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by Vardypeeps on Wed 10 May 2017, 1:07 pm

I receive zero and have even shocked people due to removing my 500 decal on the rear fairing.
My friends know I can ride well and keep up to them on their 600-1000s and I can pop a semi decent wheelie so I get to give them the shit for having whoefully inadequate newer bikes Razz
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Wed 10 May 2017, 6:56 pm

Yeah, I get the occasional 'nice girlie-bike you got there...'-comment.

Sometimes I amuse myself by biting back! I simply take the war to their own courtyard.

OK, so this power ranger wants to let me - and any who happen to be nearby - know his opinion on the girlie bike. And - contextually - realize how cool he himself is, compared to little old me.

Okay. So I ask him for his IBA member number. None so far have come up with one - most look puzzled and ask me what I mean. A few sense something awry.

I then reply, that with the very capable bike they ride and all the fine leather they wear, they must surely be members of the "real men's club". Why else would they own such a fine piece of machinery and have gone to all that trouble of colour-matching their kneesliders to that of the exquisite mechanics?

More puzzled looks. What club?

Ah, it's easy. Even I have done it on my girlie bike. You just go somewhere far away - a thousand miles or more - in one day and collect petrol receipts + witness statements. Then passing the test is a breeze. I went to somewhere near the spanish border. Where'd you go for your IronButt membership ride?

I particularly enjoy the stumped silence as they look at my girlie bike and discover the sticker:

After that, what happens varies.
Some try to fight back, offering little old me the opportunity to expose them at will to any who happen to be nearby. Afterall, how many posh power rangers have made it from London to eg. Zagreb, Croatia in one go?
Some develop a sudden urge to go somewhere else.

Bottom line; any and all mention of girlie bike is abandoned. Right here. Right now.

Girlie bike. Hrmpft...
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 10 May 2017, 10:07 pm

teamster1975 wrote:I think it's a case of ignore the tossers. ...

Yep, my thoughts entirely.

I'm detecting a parallel between this and a recent experience of mine:

I've recently been looking for a job (thankfully I've got one now) and I had to take a good long hard look at myself while trying to get one after having an interview or two and not getting anywhere. I work in the electronics/software/technology sector and generally (as far as looks and dress code) anything goes, so for good few years I've had long hair and a straggly unkempt beard and not really thought anything of it.

After a few interviews (and not getting anywhere) I chopped off the beard, smartened up my hair (it's still long, but tidy-ish) and wore a proper suit to the next interview - BANG! I got the job.

I really didn't care what I looked like and didn't really think that anyone who was trying to employ me would care either - they would surely just care about how clever I am and how well I would do the job? Sadly I don't think this is the case - people seem to have problems leaving their pre-conceptions behind.

Anyway, my point was this: I tidied *myself* up because other peoples pre-conceived notions of what an employee should look like was scuppering my chances of getting job - so I had everything to gain from doing something that I really didn't believe in and didn't think should be necessary.

*My bike* being a cosmetically challenged 1990s commuter model doesn't do me any harm, so on that front, people who care about that can go and take long walk off a short plank...

ratatooie

Post by ratatooie on Thu 11 May 2017, 11:18 am

eternally_troubled wrote:

teamster1975 wrote:I think it's a case of ignore the tossers. ...

a recent experience of mine:

I've thought about this recently as well actually. Like it or not, we make a load of assumptions and judgements about someone within something like the first 20 seconds of meeting them. Maybe your shaggy beard etc played into some latent prejudice of the interviewer(s) which immediately put you to the bottom of the list. 

Then again, maybe your "new look" helped your mindset and you gave a better account of yourself in the last interview.  

I also think that the interview process is about playing their game to a certain extent because the interviewer is not necessarily going to be the person who will be your boss - they could be HR who will have their own expectations. My Dad used to say dress for the job that you want, not the job you have, which in your case I guess also extends to grooming.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Thu 11 May 2017, 12:37 pm

Congrats on getting the job ET, you can grow your beard back now! Wink
ceejay
the 800
the 800

Post by ceejay on Thu 11 May 2017, 1:45 pm

Anyway, my point was this: I tidied *myself* up because other peoples pre-conceived notions of what an employee should look like was scuppering my chances of getting job - so I had everything to gain from doing something that I really didn't believe in and didn't think should be necessary.

Congrats on getting the job ET, you can grow your beard back now! 

I was about to say I hope you've since 'un-tidied' yourself!
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Thu 11 May 2017, 2:31 pm

Yeah nice one ET. ; - )
hh_12345
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by hh_12345 on Thu 11 May 2017, 8:41 pm

I hardly get any comments, but I rarely meet and talk to other motorcyclists.

What I have been told so far is that I'll need a bigger bike in an year or two, and I guess that's a hint of what I am to hear next.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 11 May 2017, 8:52 pm

hh_12345 wrote:I hardly get any comments, but I rarely meet and talk to other motorcyclists.

What I have been told so far is that I'll need a bigger bike in an year or two, and I guess that's a hint of what I am to hear next.

Unless you've got the bike at full throttle coming out of corners or dropping the pegs, you don't need anything bigger Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 24 Oct 2017, 3:17 am