Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, ride safe! The CB500Club team

cb headlamp

ar1
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

cb headlamp

Post by ar1 on Fri 05 May 2017, 2:23 pm

Hi guys I bought a headlamp which came off a bike from Germany, will the beam shine on the wrong side i.e. to the right ? or are the all the  cb headlamps the same and adjusted with the screws on the headlamp regards J
Jameshambleton

Re: cb headlamp

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 05 May 2017, 2:48 pm

The beam pattern will be on the wrong side as you've said. CB headlight lenses are different depending on the side of the road that is typically driven on.
ceejay
the 900
the 900

Post by ceejay on Fri 05 May 2017, 10:55 pm

I guess you could stick some tape over the relevant part as you would on a UK one if were were going abroad. From memory I think the majority of the glass is designed to point to beam ahead (obviously) but then there is a part that is designed to shine to the left/right (depending on side of road the headlamp is designed for) to illuminate road signs. This is why it's fine to block that section out when riding abroad and it doesn't really effect illuminating the road in front of you, it just stops you blinding oncoming traffic. Mine in Spain a couple of years ago:

plus tape seems to suit the CB500!
ceejay
the 900
the 900

Post by ceejay on Fri 05 May 2017, 11:02 pm

not sure if it's an MOT thing?
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Fri 05 May 2017, 11:37 pm

@ceejay wrote:not sure if it's an MOT thing?

Yes it is. Although nowadays most bikes just dip straight down.
Crash- Elmit
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by Crash- Elmit on Sat 06 May 2017, 12:21 am

You will need to cover the part of the lens that diffracts the light beam upwards when on high beam when presenting the bike for MOT,  but you still may end up with a daylight only certificate.

I bought a brand new headlight set up from a reputable dealer that has a ebay site, to replace the  cracked lens unit on the bike (diffractor was plastic not glass) It was complete with CE markings but the beam was directed into the path of oncoming traffic instead of towards the verge on my left as it should be. My local MOT centre that usually tested my bike told me It would not be legal to use, so I had to scource  a used unit for the 500 from a breakers yard. I tried to get my money refunded from the seller, but they basically shrugged their shoulders and refused because it had the CE mark.I  ended up putting it in the hands of trading standards, as it was sold not fit for purpose.
ar1
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by ar1 on Sat 06 May 2017, 4:17 pm

thank you for the replies guys
Fair Weather Rider
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Post by Fair Weather Rider on Sun 07 May 2017, 8:48 am

If you have a kind MOT man, he will stick the tape on for you. Very Happy