Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Carburetor air intakes

MrFluffy

Carburetor air intakes

Post by MrFluffy on Tue 02 May 2017, 11:58 pm

Hi everyone. Newbie here, also a seasoned VFR rider if anyone is ever over at the Bikers Oracle pages.

I've recently purchased a CB500 to make a cafe racer / street scrambler project out of... I'm trying to find a way to remove the air box and for some pod air filters although there isn't much room under the tank on my 2002 CB5002 for pod filters to fit straight on the carbs.

Does anyone have any tips please on a filter that does fit, or a pipe that I can buy to adapt the intake 90 degrees? I thought the pods I'd bought would work but they don't!

Thanks in advance.
More details on my bike on my instagram page, the username is ac.custom if anyone is interested.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: Carburetor air intakes

Post by sullivj on Wed 03 May 2017, 6:59 am

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I'be read before that people have struggled to get the CB to run well without the air box in place.  Hopefully you'll have a different experience.

I think the air box is put in before the engine, so you may need to butcher it to get it out (or remove the engine!)
MrFluffy

Post by MrFluffy on Wed 03 May 2017, 7:23 am

Hi and thanks for the welcome!

Don't worry, I've already got the air box out in one piece... the carbs have to come off at the same time!

I am aware a certain amount of tuning will be required, but I'm going to have a play with that at a later stage. I'm also fitting a much shorter exhaust which will also have an effect!

I need to get these blooming pods to fit first!
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Wed 03 May 2017, 7:24 am

Carbs need to come out before the airbox will come out... took carbs off and airbox out doing camchain tensioner on cb500's as it was rattling
ratatooie
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Post by ratatooie on Wed 03 May 2017, 11:59 am

You can definitely get angled pod filters. See for example these or these although check the size of the filters that you need (don't recall offhand).

I'm sure you can find something a bit more pretty and I even have a memory somewhere that K&N do them.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Wed 03 May 2017, 4:04 pm

Unless you're prepared to reprofile the underside of your tank there is insufficient room for individual filters. 
I have searched for a long time for a solution to no avail.
MrFluffy

Post by MrFluffy on Fri 05 May 2017, 2:59 pm

Hello everyone.

Update for you all - there is a cafe racer that has been designed by two guys calling themselves "Bold Motorcycles" in Portugal who have pointed me to the filters they used, round (not conical) filters that were available on eBay.

I now have the correct dimensions for a filter that will fit and tried a cardboard mock up of it this morning which, although not very accurate, seemed to squeeze in.

Unfortunately, the vendor on eBay has run out of stock and I have no idea where to source any more from.  If anyone has any ideas, they would be much appreciated!!

Filter Height: 49 mm
Filter height + Flange: 67 mm
Filter diameter at Top: 73 mm
Filter diameter at Base: 73 mm
Inner diameter of flange: 54 mm

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 21 Aug 2017, 8:38 pm