Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

how's your chain slider doing these days??

trevor machine
the 900
the 900

how's your chain slider doing these days??

Post by trevor machine on Sun 30 Apr 2017, 8:37 pm

Another one of those bike parts that doesn't get much of a mention but which maybe should - at least from time to time. Back before my CRM250 got nicked me and my mate Phil actually did have to fit a new chain slider on that bike - after it collapsed and parts of it got caught up in the front sprocket, locking up the back wheel (halfway across Phil's housing estate). Luckily I was only doing about 30 - but I had no idea what had happened. At first I thought - it being a 2t - that it'd siezed up.

Anyway yeah - point being that one of my 500's chain slider's is definitely on the way out. After twenty years and god knows how much oil and solvent (for chain cleaning), that plastic is going to suffer. Check it - don't have it getting chewed up by the front sprocket. Nightmare.

So I just ordered one - not cheap though. £50! Eek. Tis OEM though.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: how's your chain slider doing these days??

Post by sullivj on Sun 30 Apr 2017, 9:40 pm

£50!!! I'll wait for it to break up I think.

Am I right that you have to take the swinging arm out to change it?
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 30 Apr 2017, 9:52 pm

@sullivj wrote:Am I right that you have to take the swinging arm out to change it?

Yup you sure are, though you can cheat a little! Put the bike on the mainstand and then remove the axle bolt then the swingarm will drop out at the front and it'll be easier to change - just as long as you drop the chain off the rear sprocket for some extra movement while changing it. 

There is a bolt that goes into the swingarm to hold it on - this is made from chineseium or cheeseium will round out.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Mon 01 May 2017, 3:10 am

This is pretty much how we did it on the CRM. I was hoping it would be similar on the 500. : - |

Fair Weather Rider
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by Fair Weather Rider on Mon 01 May 2017, 9:57 am

I didn't have to take the swinging arm out on my last CB5, the chain slider opens up and you just slip it over, you have to take front sprocket cover off though.
James is right about the Cheeseium bolt.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Mon 01 May 2017, 12:39 pm

Yes - open the plastic slider up a bit and just slip it over. Even I could do it!

Disclaimer - cheese screw on underside of CRM swing arm would not turn beyond a couple of revolutions, was bent from when it collapsed and the slider fed itself to the front sprocket. This created force, which tried to drag the slider into the sprocket thus bending the screw slightly. Nightmare. Phil's BAE background did however prevail, and new sprockets, chain slider and chain were all fitted successfully. Three days later there was a CRM250 shaped space in my garage and it was never seen again. *insert entire row of sad faced, weeping smilies here*
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Tue 02 May 2017, 8:27 am

Come on guys - why do you remove the swing arm? Is it because there's a fixing screw that's difficult to get at beneath the swing arm?
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 03 May 2017, 6:57 pm

I'm pretty sure you don't need to take the swingarm off - though I can't confirm that, as I did mine while replacing my (whole) swingarm, so it was off already...
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Wed 03 May 2017, 8:09 pm

I think I'll do it by taking the bike off the swing arm, rather than the swing arm off the bike. Might sound like a long way round - but I like to be thorough.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 22 Aug 2017, 9:20 pm