Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Is this the beginning of the end....?

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Is this the beginning of the end....?

Post by sullivj on Thu 27 Apr 2017, 8:34 am

Looking on eBay, I was amazed to see 31 second hand speedos for sale. Presumably, mostly from bikes being broken for parts.

THIRTY ONE CBs snatched away from us...never to be ridden again...

At the moment, parts (and used bikes) are in plentiful supply, but we're in it for the long game, aren't we?  Should I stockpile parts now, or buy a donor bike perhaps? 10 years from now, I don't imagine there will be 31 speedos to choose from. 

Could this be the beginning of the end of plentiful parts?
stormbringer

Re: Is this the beginning of the end....?

Post by stormbringer on Thu 27 Apr 2017, 8:56 am

sullivj wrote:Looking on eBay, I was amazed to see 31 second hand speedos for sale. Presumably, mostly from bikes being broken for parts.

THIRTY ONE CBs snatched away from us...never to be ridden again...

At the moment, parts (and used bikes) are in plentiful supply, but we're in it for the long game, aren't we?  Should I stockpile parts now, or buy a donor bike perhaps? 10 years from now, I don't imagine there will be 31 speedos to choose from. 

Could this be the beginning of the end of plentiful parts?

Looking at the lifespan of other bikes, I do not think so. The CB isn't exactly a new kid on the block, but I see many other older bikes roaming the land, and reading along on local - and more 'generic' - forums, I find a wide array of bikes being discussed.

Furthermore, dealers have a full array of parts available and I even see the bike up for sale at said dealers on a regular basis.

I don't think it's the beginning of the end. It may, however, be the end of the beginning!
Fair Weather Rider
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Fair Weather Rider on Thu 27 Apr 2017, 9:01 am

I think i will be able to ride for another few years yet and I bought a donor bike, a really good move, so I think i will have enough parts to last me.
I would suggest that if anyone has the cash to spare a Donor bike is the way to go, mine has saved me a fortune already.

Happy days.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 27 Apr 2017, 9:03 am

Speedo drives are removed from the thundersport bikes and replaced with a spacer so this would help to explain why there is a lot on ebay
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Thu 27 Apr 2017, 9:32 am

Huh - good point, James. That has to account for some of them - possibly the lion's share.

I needed a replacement speedo two years ago - there was a few to choose from (so much so that I managed to find one with only five thousand more miles on its clock than the one I smashed up in a crash). But was there as many as 31? Pretty sure there wasn't. 15, maybe. Perhaps only 10.

As for the more general question of whether we need to start stock-piling yet, I think not. Some of the  most unlikely bikes seem to have half decent parts availability - take e.g. the CB250RS. Whenever I look, there seems to be a fair bit of stuff for this - though probably not clocks, granted.

I also tend to think that the original utility character of the bike, introduced as it was when people were still just about using motorcycles as transport (and as commercial vehicles for currying etc.), means that supply will be superior to many others from that era.

So am I worried? A bit. But although I love the CB500 - I run two of the bastards, after all - if there comes a day when for whatever reason they have to be scrapped (e.g. for want of parts), I'll hopefully be able to just buy some other half-decent bike and enjoy that instead.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 24 Oct 2017, 1:06 am