Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

dreaded rectifier issue??

jonny10
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Re: dreaded rectifier issue??

Post by jonny10 on Sun 14 May 2017, 8:00 pm

Drago76 wrote:

they sells for about 8 - 10 USD. i buy two of that for such money, and it works ok ( yet i been driving for about only 300 miles).

Must have missed them on ebay!

but, if you have about 14.2 volts at all rpm diapasone, i not see, why you bother. all looks in spec, and as russians say "do not hinder technic work"...not need repair thinks, until it is broken.

Thats the point - it wasn't 14.2v  See post 19 above
Drago76
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Drago76 on Sun 14 May 2017, 8:12 pm

jonny10 wrote:

Drago76 wrote:

they sells for about 8 - 10 USD. i buy two of that for such money, and it works ok ( yet i been driving for about only 300 miles).

Must have missed them on ebay!

but, if you have about 14.2 volts at all rpm diapasone, i not see, why you bother. all looks in spec, and as russians say "do not hinder technic work"...not need repair thinks, until it is broken.

Thats the point - it wasn't 14.2v  See post 19 above

- Idling with headlight off 14.78v (idle is about 1300rpm)
- Idling with headlight on 14.76v
- at 5000rpm headlight off 14.53v
- at 5000rpm headlight on 14.42v

looks like in a good range. on cars, as i remember, range was about 13.7 - 14.2, on motorcycles it can vary. on my cub-like moped i have 14.7 on working on driving RPM, and all was good.  you can swap your voltage regulator to another, sure, but as for me, these also was in good working order.  especially taking in account, your multimeter not  calibrated, as so, there really may be also 14.1 volts....Razz
jonny10
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by jonny10 on Sun 14 May 2017, 9:17 pm

Drago76 wrote:

looks like in a good range. on cars, as i remember, range was about 13.7 - 14.2, on motorcycles it can vary. on my cub-like moped i have 14.7 on working on driving RPM, and all was good.  you can swap your voltage regulator to another, sure, but as for me, these also was in good working order.  especially taking in account, your multimeter not  calibrated, as so, there really may be also 14.1 volts....Razz

I'd rather take the chance at that price than risk the new battery/another breakdown.
Multimeter is new, I assume calibrated in factory, & also checked with another meter - same readings.
Drago76
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Drago76 on Mon 15 May 2017, 7:48 am

jonny10 wrote:

Drago76 wrote:

I'd rather take the chance at that price than risk the new battery/another breakdown.
Multimeter is new, I assume calibrated in factory, & also checked with another meter - same readings.

till voltage is under 15 volts, all be ok. if you want to be sure, buy voltmeter, like a koso mini 3, who instantly show voltage on your power network.

cheap multimeters not calibrated at all. looks like you not understand difference between mass production, and calibrated, precise instruments, whose reading may be taken as truth.
as cheap, i mean, cost less than about 400 - 500 pounds.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 17 May 2017, 10:53 pm

I think it is fine :) (assuming your multimeter is as good/bad as most out there)

I have also noticed that the voltage doesn't always do what you would 'expect' - this is to do with the regulator characteristic, however at this rpm, if the regulator rectifier was broken you'd be getting nearer 12 or 13 volts if it had gone open circuit and waaaaay more (like 16 17.. or 25!) if it was not regulating at all.
jonny10
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by jonny10 on Fri 26 May 2017, 12:35 am

eternally_troubled wrote:

I think it is fine Smile (assuming your multimeter is as good/bad as most out there)

I have also noticed that the voltage doesn't always do what you would 'expect' - this is to do with the regulator characteristic, however at this rpm, if the regulator rectifier was broken you'd be getting nearer 12 or 13 volts if it had gone open circuit and waaaaay more (like 16 17.. or 25!) if it was not regulating at all.

Grand, that'll do me.
Had a good spin out this evening and all seems good - despite the apparent voltage anomaly.
I've got a new reg/rectifier in the spare parts bin if/when it does go kaput. Very Happy
Thanks all.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 20 Sep 2017, 3:40 pm