Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

no neutral light, oil light and no temperature read

fressko

no neutral light, oil light and no temperature read

Post by fressko on Fri 14 Apr 2017, 8:52 pm

side stand switch works as intended. But no light. 
Oil light used to work. Not anymore. Same for the temp read. Normaly used to come up slightly on contact on.

all other lights work, including the high beam and turn signal indicators on the instrument panel.
I suspect something in the wiring, perhaps under the duct tape they used to cover the wires coming out of the instrument cluster, wiggled it no luck.
 I would be very grateful if someone could pinpoint it with more accuracy. Maybe im missing something silly like they all sharing the same fuse... Im a noob with electrics.
Im looking at the wiring diagram and they seem to be sharing the same brown yellow striped cable, which possibly splits into 4? 

http://www.cb500.net/dl.php?id=106

bike is a 94 model, sentimental value.
Thanks!

later edit: after checking a few other older posts looks like the problem might be in the dodgy splicing honda did in the loom between the headlight bowl and the instrument panel. All that duct tape is coming off  asap. Wish me luck.
fressko

Re: no neutral light, oil light and no temperature read

Post by fressko on Sat 15 Apr 2017, 7:41 am

Thanks to some people that posted here years ago I might have found the issue. 
Removed lamp and disconnected the red and white connections on the loom that goes to the dash so that i can extract it from the headlight casing for better access.
Cut the rubber mantle starting from the headlight side. Not even half way up towards the instrument cluster I noticed a brown wire splitting into 3 others. There was green corrosion chalky dust all over the place. I  gently pulled on these wires and the main one came out immediately. The end looked like it had been clean cut by guillotine but covered in green dust. There was no contact anymore obviously.
So far so good would need advice on mainly how to repair the rubber mantle as to have it waterproof again since it is split halfway to the top cheers.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 25 Apr 2017, 10:45 pm

That's just like a problem I had - it was also that 4-into-1 wire that failed!

Once you've fixed the problem (best to solder the wires back together, if you can) then you should wrap it all tightly in electrical insulation tape and it should be fine. If you want to do even better you could use heat-shrink sleeving, but this is probably not necessary...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 20 Sep 2017, 3:40 pm