Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Swingarm grease nipple

paul1098
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Swingarm grease nipple

Post by paul1098 on Fri 07 Apr 2017, 8:35 pm

Noticed a grease nipple on the swingarm that I'm having to replace as it's twisted slightly.
Is there a benefit to the mod of adding a grease nipple to the swing arm. How often do the bearings need greasing?
Vardypeeps
Two Tone
Two Tone

Re: Swingarm grease nipple

Post by Vardypeeps on Tue 11 Apr 2017, 12:40 pm

If you can't see grease at the pivot point pop a squeaze in intil you can see it oozing out, that should be enough although not sure if it would pack too much in? That's what I used to do with my 1980 CB250 and it felt nice for such an old bike.

The benefit is you will nearly never have to change the swing arm bearings which is a big job.
paul1098
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by paul1098 on Tue 11 Apr 2017, 11:45 pm

Need to replace the swingarm bearings & the needle roller is not easy to get out so will add the grease nipple as a safe guard.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 12 Apr 2017, 8:09 am

grease nipple scratch
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 13 Apr 2017, 7:28 pm

Jameshambleton wrote:grease nipple :scratch:

Looks a bit like a brake bleed nipple but with a sprung ball bearing in the end. Actually a pressure-valve that allows pressurised grease (from a grease gun) to enter into a cavity near/around an object that needs greasing.

They do a good job of stopping grot getting inside assemblies but still allowing additional lubrication - the swingarm bearings on a motorcycle are a good example, mind you, the grease-seals seem to work quite well, so it could be overkill.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 20 Sep 2017, 3:40 pm