Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Front caliper slider

skyerae
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Front caliper slider

Post by skyerae on Wed 05 Apr 2017, 8:57 pm

Rebuilt front caliper and fitted a new dust boot. Fitted to slider and it is very stiff - like in use a LOT of force to slide the caliper on the slide pins. I assume this is incorrect? The caliper should be free to move on the pins as it is in effect a floating caliper - am I on the correct path? I used copper grease on the sliders and put some into the dust boots, maybe a tad too much, could this be causing an issue. Should I put any grease into the dust boots - I assume the pins need some lubrication to keep them moving freely. Any pointers and useful advice readily accepted..............Thank you.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Re: Front caliper slider

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 05 Apr 2017, 11:08 pm

Am I right in thinking you are overhauling a Nissin caliper? I've only done the Brembo one, so I can't really help with anything specific, but yes, I'm pretty sure it's supposed to slide easily.
paul1098
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by paul1098 on Wed 05 Apr 2017, 11:18 pm

I used silicone grease when I fitted my new dust boots to the sliders.
If you can push the pins in by hand then that should be OK as the force exerted by the brake pistons is far greater than that.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 05 Apr 2017, 11:19 pm

In an ideal world you want to use silicone grease, but you are correct in saying it should move freely.
skyerae
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by skyerae on Thu 06 Apr 2017, 6:07 am

Right you are then, I have two types of silicone grease so will use the less runny stuff and see if that sorts the issue. Thanks for the replies so far.
paul1098
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by paul1098 on Thu 06 Apr 2017, 10:51 am

I got red silicone caliper grease with my piston seals. There was enough to use on the sliders.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Thu 06 Apr 2017, 2:09 pm

@paul1098 wrote:I got red silicone caliper grease with my piston seals. There was enough to use on the sliders.

This is the stuff, 500g pot for £7.94 not bad at all!
skyerae
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by skyerae on Thu 06 Apr 2017, 5:14 pm

I got a small tub off ebay (reputedly rubber grease) but it is very, very thick so would make it even more difficult for the slider to move - will just use the clear silicone grease I have.
rob75
Rossi
Rossi

Post by rob75 on Fri 07 Apr 2017, 11:11 am

Just my 2 cents:

The silicone grease is used to install seals and piston in the caliper.

The slider is steel and slides in the aluminium caliper. The modern way to lubricate this is ceramic grease. Just a smear of it is enough. Don't fill the hole in the caliper fully as it will be forced out.
This grease can also be applied on the backside and contact points of the pads to prevent squealling.

Succes,
Rob

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 18 Nov 2017, 8:37 am