Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

restrictor kits?

Chrisc54
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

restrictor kits?

Post by Chrisc54 on Wed 05 Apr 2017, 5:59 pm

evening all after some info on how cb500's are restricted for the a2 licence 
i have a full licence but my bike sort of feels a little restricted so need to have a closer look to see if its got a kit on there as the lad i bought it off had an a2 licence but didnt mention actually fitting a restrictor kit

i know the usual way is just the washers in the carb inlets which ill check for at the weekend

after having a search via google some forum posts mention the jets being changed or some restrictor on the throttle?

any advice will be very helpful
cheers
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Re: restrictor kits?

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 05 Apr 2017, 10:52 pm

Hello!

There are often the washers in the carb inlet. But before you take the bike apart to get to them have a look at the RH switchgear that holds the twistgrip - people sometimes stick a metal pin at an appropriate point through the twistgrip cover which quite effectively restricts the throttle travel. You want to check you don't have one of them first...

The other place to limit the throttle cable travel is by using an extra bit of metal at the 'other' end - near the carbs - to limit the travel of the linkage between the carbs - you will be able to see this if you take the tank off.

Best of luck in finding the restriction...
Melitos
Godly
Godly

Post by Melitos on Thu 06 Apr 2017, 4:33 pm

Hi

Take a good look at the rubbers between carb and cylinder head. If you can see markings like 25KW or 37KW it means you've got restrictor plates inside the rubber.

Here very explanatory picture on German CB500 wiki
http://cb500-wiki.de/lib/exe/detail.php?id=motor_und_getriebe%3Avergaser%3Adrossel&media=motor_und_getriebe:vergaser:ansaugstutzen_34_50_58ps.jpg

Here is more info, run the page through google translator if you have trouble reading Very Happy
http://cb500-wiki.de/doku.php?id=motor_und_getriebe:vergaser:drossel

Main jets are also different on full power and restricted versions. Restricted actually have larger jets and I would not bother changing them to smaller ones (122 vs 125).

BR,
Antti
pendleton_j
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by pendleton_j on Fri 07 Apr 2017, 10:07 am

If it helps, mine is restricted and tops out at 100mph (on a closed road of course
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 07 Apr 2017, 10:19 am

If you've got a dead spot in the rev range about 5-6k rpm (6th gear 70mph) and you can't maintain a constant speed then it's most likely got restrictor washers in it.

Chrisc54
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Chrisc54 on Sat 08 Apr 2017, 5:10 am

thanks all for the information

had the carbs off and no ristrictors in the inlets
while off i bench synced the carbs and checked the mixture screws they were 3 turns out, ive now set them to 2 1/2 turns as per the manual and the bike is now running much better/smoother

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 27 Jun 2017, 4:58 am