Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Anyone in Southampton area able to come and help me drain/dispose of some old petrol?

pendleton_j
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Anyone in Southampton area able to come and help me drain/dispose of some old petrol?

Post by pendleton_j on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 6:14 pm

Hi guys,

Essentially I've had some old petrol sat in the tank for a while now, and I don't really want to be running it through the engine at this point, also I need to get under the tank to replace throttle cables. However, the only places to get rid of it properly are ages away from me and the bike is my only proper transport.

Looking for someone to come help drain it out and then dispose of it safely for me. Will compensate for time/petrol with appropriate amounts of beer and/or cake.

Thanks
Joe
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Re: Anyone in Southampton area able to come and help me drain/dispose of some old petrol?

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 03 Apr 2017, 9:39 am

I would help but I'm rather far away (in Cambridge!).

As an alternative idea, assuming you can get to a Screwfix, I'd get one of these:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/steel-jerry-can-olive-green-20ltr/37696

and then (with a funnel) you can pour out the old fuel into the can and once you've got the bike going you can strap the jerry can on the back with some bungees and take it wherever you want.

On a different note - how long has the bike been standing with this petrol in it? I've left mine for a month (at least) and not had any problems. I suspect if you'd left it 3 months it would probably be fine (or at least worth a go). Make sure you charge the battery first! (I think it might last less long than the the fuel!)

Another idea - if the tank isn't too full can you walk/get a lift to a petrol station with the jerry can and then just add some new fuel to the existing fuel, thus diluting any possible bad effects.
pendleton_j
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Re: Anyone in Southampton area able to come and help me drain/dispose of some old petrol?

Post by pendleton_j on Mon 03 Apr 2017, 11:55 am

It's been there since about early to mid December I think, so going on for 4 months. Like you say it's probably okay, but if possible I'd like to avoid using it, as I'm trying to tidy up the bike and look after it a bit better. I think this would be the easiest solution to the problem, so I thought I'd put out a call, but if noone is able to help me then I'll just buy a can and do it myself.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 03 Apr 2017, 1:16 pm

just drain it into a grass cutter or just ride the bike, if anything you're best off running it and getting a good load of it moving through the system. 

I've never had a problem with "old petrol" even in my vfr that stood for 11 months before I got it, or my cb500 that stood for 7 months before I got my licence.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 27 Jun 2017, 4:56 am