Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Front fork seal problem

TheBlackPearl
Squiddy
Squiddy

Front fork seal problem

Post by TheBlackPearl on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 10:55 am

What do I do now! After struggling to remove a tight oil seal on my 500 in the recommended way with now luck. I decided to fill with water and use the pressure to push out it out, which it did but on a slight angle. So with the seal half out I went back to the recommended way of pulling out the fork tube. After ages bang out it comes, 'At last I thought' but the fork tube had come out leaving the seal and top bush firmly in place. Whats the best way of getting this out without damaging the fork slider?
Attached photos. 

Fair Weather Rider
Two Tone
Two Tone

Re: Front fork seal problem

Post by Fair Weather Rider on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

Cut it out very carefully with a Dremmel.

"Go Steady"
TheBlackPearl
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by TheBlackPearl on Mon 03 Apr 2017, 9:02 am

Thanks for the reply Fair Weather Rider , thats what I thought but I don't have a Dremmel (yet). So carefully cut the seal out with a small hacksaw, then found that the top bush was well stuck in, so had to cut that out to. Well that was yesterday gone. Just hoping that the otherside will be staight forward.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 03 Apr 2017, 9:04 am

Blow torch, a new stanley knife blade and a flat head screw driver will sort you out. You'll more than likely also need a new lower fork bush though. 

Becareful when the seal as the oil boils as it does pop a bit.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 21 Sep 2017, 6:37 pm