Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Bike will not start!

pompeybiker
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Bike will not start!

Post by pompeybiker on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 12:05 am

I went to start my CBF500 this morning but nothing!
No ignition lights at all. I only used it yesterday and it was fine.

I checked the main fuse and it was ok. so I put the battery on charge and still nothing!

The only thing that i think it could be is the ignition switch as some one tried to steal my bike last week with a screw driver and now it is very difficult to get the key in and I wondered if there is more damage to it than I first thought
Any suggestions would be great Surprised
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Re: Bike will not start!

Post by trevor machine on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 12:40 am

Kill switch?

I know, I know - but if you never use it (I don't), and it gets knocked to "off", it sometimes gets forgotten about in the heat of it all.
pompeybiker
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by pompeybiker on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 8:31 am

Thanks for the reply I tried that.
It's not the kill switch as none of the ignition lights come on
pompeybiker
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by pompeybiker on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 8:35 am

I'm thinking more and more that it's the ignition switch
Since it was damaged by the scumbag that tried to steal my bike it tends to turn too far when you switch it on so maybe the barrel is damaged inside?
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 03 Apr 2017, 9:22 am

pompeybiker wrote:I'm thinking more and more that it's the ignition switch
Since it was  damaged by the scumbag that tried to steal my bike it tends to turn too far when you switch it on so maybe the barrel is damaged inside?

This is entirely possible. I'm not really an expert at stealing bikes, but I can see how jamming a screwdriver into the ignition lock and breaking it might cause problems :)

You can get 'new' (not Honda) ignition locks on ebay and from wemoto (and many other places) - you will then have two different keys, one for the ignition and one for the petrol cap/seat lock. Sadly there isn't much you do about this, unless you can buy a complete second-hand lock set (with key!) off ebay.
pompeybiker
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by pompeybiker on Mon 03 Apr 2017, 12:05 pm

eternally_troubled wrote:

pompeybiker wrote:I'm thinking more and more that it's the ignition switch
Since it was  damaged by the scumbag that tried to steal my bike it tends to turn too far when you switch it on so maybe the barrel is damaged inside?

This is entirely possible.  I'm not really an expert at stealing bikes, but I can see how jamming a screwdriver into the ignition lock and breaking it might cause problems Smile

You can get 'new' (not Honda) ignition locks on ebay and from wemoto (and many other places) - you will then have two different keys, one for the ignition and one for the petrol cap/seat lock.  Sadly there isn't much you do about this, unless you can buy a complete second-hand lock set (with key!) off ebay.

Got a Chinese copy ignition switch coming for £30 better than an OEM one from Honda £235 + vat!
Not worried about the keys as I have different keys for ignition and fuel cap already! the bike is an Ex London courier model so has had a hard life!
Vardypeeps
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by Vardypeeps on Mon 03 Apr 2017, 12:17 pm

Sounds like the ignition barrel is shot to pieces now Sad
pompeybiker
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by pompeybiker on Thu 06 Apr 2017, 5:17 pm

I have just got the ignition switch off and I have power to the connector block. I also did a continuity check on the the ignition switch and it seems to be working fine!
I then tried to by-pass the ignition it as I have power up to the connector  but nothing!
It's begining to look like a bad conection some where else in the loom Sad
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 08 Apr 2017, 9:13 pm

pompeybiker wrote:I have just got the ignition switch off and I have power to the connector block. I also did a continuity check on the the ignition switch and it seems to be working fine!
I then tried to by-pass the ignition it as I have power up to the connector  but nothing!
It's begining to look like a bad conection some where else in the loom :(

Well, it's probably worth replacing the slightly-knackered ignition barrel anyway, so you could start by doing that.

Do you have a Haynes (or access to an online copy?) The wiring diagram will help you.

Assuming the fuses are fine (I guess you've checked this) then the next thing to do is to check that all the fuses are getting 12V when the ignition switch is set to 'on' - this effectively tests mosts of the wiring between the battery and the fusebox.

Assuming all the fuses are getting 12V with the ignition on then you should check the various 'end points' that are fed by each fuse are getting 12V too - this is where the wiring diagram helps (it will tell you which wires are connected to the fuses).

As a final thought, did you check that the scrotes who tried to steal your bike didn't also cut the loom where it goes up the headstock?
pompeybiker
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by pompeybiker on Sun 09 Apr 2017, 4:46 pm

Thanks for the advice but it's all sorted now
It was the fuse box under the seat. the ignition fuse holder was corroded and it now works fine!
the ignition switch wasn't the culprit!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 09 Apr 2017, 9:33 pm

pompeybiker wrote:Thanks for the advice but it's all sorted now
It was the fuse box under the seat. the ignition fuse holder was corroded and it now works fine!
the ignition switch wasn't the culprit!

Excellent! A nice easy fix!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 18 Oct 2017, 5:46 pm