Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Tyres for the CB500 (1994)

Share
avatar
Vardypeeps
Two Tone
Two Tone

Posts : 125

Tyres for the CB500 (1994)

Post by Vardypeeps on Wed 29 Mar 2017, 1:57 pm

Hi Guys.

After seeing some nice examples of CB500s on the home page at quite impressive lean angles I've come to the conclusion that I would like my next set of road tyres to offer the same.

Now I know the standard sizes are 110/80-17 and 130/80-17 but there is a limited amount you can find at this size, I got Michelin Activs (might be looking in the wrong places?)

I would like to know if someone has experience of a wider section tyre being fitted on the road, how stable are they at full CB500 wack (striaght line) and does it effect the adgility of the bike?

I just hear so many stories of bikes not being right once they have been changed but want something with similar stability but additional lean angle.

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Posts : 763

Re: Tyres for the CB500 (1994)

Post by muttley1 on Wed 29 Mar 2017, 3:06 pm

Hmm, all depends how the roads you ride on are and how you ride 'em. I bet most cb5's don't spend their time leant at 45 degrees but do handle well on stock sized tyres (bt 45's etc).

However, the Thundersport race series uses stickier rubber in 110/70 70 and 140/70 70 sizes. I don't know what the current control tyre is but I've used Bt090's, 003's and evo20's, all previous control tyres.

All will make the bike drop/turn in faster due to the steeper profile of these tyres, all grip well but are not so great in the wet or when weather is colder. Setting pressures is a work-it-out-for-yourself thing and you'll get about 1500 miles from a rear.
Of them, I'd say the evo's were the best.

muttley1
avatar
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic
Posts : 785
Location : Windsor

Re: Tyres for the CB500 (1994)

Post by ANDYC on Wed 29 Mar 2017, 3:09 pm

Before I changed to wider wheels I used Pirelli demon sports and they were fantastic as far as the balance went with grip (both wet and dry) and the mileage was pretty decent for a sports tyre too.
avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 1912
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Re: Tyres for the CB500 (1994)

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 29 Mar 2017, 6:43 pm

@muttley1 wrote:However, the Thundersport race series uses stickier rubber in 110/70 70 and 140/70 70 sizes. I don't know what the current control tyre is but I've used Bt090's, 003's and evo20's, all previous control tyres.

All will make the bike drop/turn in faster due to the steeper profile of these tyres, all grip well but are not so great in the wet or when weather is colder. Setting pressures is a work-it-out-for-yourself thing and you'll get about 1500 miles from a rear.
Of them, I'd say the evo's were the best.

muttley1

Dunlop alpha 13's 

I get about 2.5k out of my s20evo rear with the front hardly ever been worn, do you have a similar experience? 


http://www.cb500club.net/t225-specs-stats#44642
avatar
stormbringer
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 1228
Location : Aarhus, Denmark

Re: Tyres for the CB500 (1994)

Post by stormbringer on Wed 29 Mar 2017, 6:50 pm

Umm - what's wrong with BT45s?
I've properly scraped pegs with those and in addition I've done 20.000 miles on the front. Rear does approx 12k and offers OK fun as it wears down.

Am I missing something here?
avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 1912
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Re: Tyres for the CB500 (1994)

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 29 Mar 2017, 6:52 pm

As for turn in the s20's feel better at higher lean angles but you'll easy ground out the pegs with bt45's but they seem to very numb in feeling towards the edge because of their profile.

20k out of a front? Jesus I got 7.5k out of my front before it was at 1mm depth on the sides. Rears usually last about 3-4K
avatar
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic
Posts : 785
Location : Windsor

Re: Tyres for the CB500 (1994)

Post by ANDYC on Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:10 pm

With the Pirelli's I would average about 10k from the rears and 15k from the fronts.
avatar
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Posts : 1451
Location : not that far from Kirkistown

Re: Tyres for the CB500 (1994)

Post by Beresford on Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:17 pm

@stormbringer wrote:Am I missing something here?

British roads are surfaced with concrete lumps and chicken fat. Non-EU financed roads in Ireland leave out the concrete lumps.
avatar
stormbringer
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 1228
Location : Aarhus, Denmark

Re: Tyres for the CB500 (1994)

Post by stormbringer on Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:46 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:20k out of a front? Jesus I got 7.5k out of my front
Yes - I sense 'old age' coming on... OTOH I've been focused on going far at a steady pace last year, so maybe all is not lost - yet.

"Old men go raging into the night!"
avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 1912
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Re: Tyres for the CB500 (1994)

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:53 pm

I've found that my bt45 fronts seem to very quickly start to crack inside of the thread even with a reasonably new DOT date.
avatar
stormbringer
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 1228
Location : Aarhus, Denmark

Re: Tyres for the CB500 (1994)

Post by stormbringer on Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:54 pm

@Beresford wrote:British roads are surfaced with concrete lumps and chicken fat. Non-EU financed roads in Ireland leave out the concrete lumps.
We have marginal tax rates in excess of 50%. Want any?

Road-quality-wise, methinks the germans have it made.
avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 1912
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Re: Tyres for the CB500 (1994)

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 29 Mar 2017, 8:08 pm

@stormbringer wrote:

@Beresford wrote:British roads are surfaced with concrete lumps and chicken fat. Non-EU financed roads in Ireland leave out the concrete lumps.


We have marginal tax rates in excess of 50%. Want any?

Road-quality-wise, methinks the germans have it made.

We pay 57.95p per litre of fuel duty tax so...

118.9p * 0.20 = 23p (standard 20% tax on everything)
118.9p - 23p    =  95.9p 
95.9p - 57.95p = 37.95p a litre before any fuel duty or value added tax 
So we pay 80.95p a litre of just tax alone, with the true cost a litre is 37.95p

Anyone care to correct me if I'm wrong.
avatar
Vardypeeps
Two Tone
Two Tone

Posts : 125

Re: Tyres for the CB500 (1994)

Post by Vardypeeps on Thu 30 Mar 2017, 12:56 pm

Some nice tips on here.

Didn't think about longevity at the time of asking this question. The BT045's sound like a good option but the Michelin Activ's have less tread at the edge and provide quite decent feedback at lean.

Those Pirellis sound quite good for mileage/grip

So if I was to change to 110/70 and 130/70 instead of 110/80 & 130/80 the tyre profile would be taller and more agressive?
More options available?
avatar
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Posts : 1451
Location : not that far from Kirkistown

Re: Tyres for the CB500 (1994)

Post by Beresford on Thu 30 Mar 2017, 1:19 pm

@Vardypeeps wrote:So if I was to change to 110/70 and 130/70 instead of 110/80 & 130/80 the tyre profile would be taller and more agressive?
No. They have a 70% height to width ratio. ie. Smaller rolling circumference. 120/70 and 140/70 approximate to 110/80 and 130/80 in section height.
avatar
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!
Posts : 3699
Location : 'ere be fens. (near Cambridge)

Re: Tyres for the CB500 (1994)

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 03 Apr 2017, 9:51 am

@Jameshambleton wrote:
@stormbringer wrote:
@Beresford wrote:British roads are surfaced with concrete lumps and chicken fat. Non-EU financed roads in Ireland leave out the concrete lumps.

We have marginal tax rates in excess of 50%. Want any?

Road-quality-wise, methinks the germans have it made.

We pay 57.95p per litre of fuel duty tax so...

118.9p * 0.20 = 23p (standard 20% tax on everything)
118.9p - 23p    =  95.9p 
95.9p - 57.95p = 37.95p a litre before any fuel duty or value added tax 
So we pay 80.95p a litre of just tax alone, with the true cost a litre is 37.95p

Anyone care to correct me if I'm wrong.

Nope, looks about right.

However, you have to appreciate that if you didn't pay it on fuel you would pay it in some other way...
avatar
Hcb
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Posts : 46

Re: Tyres for the CB500 (1994)

Post by Hcb on Sat 30 Sep 2017, 1:05 pm

I use 140/80/17 back, and no changes front (110/80/17)

Bridgestone BT45 battlax.

Very happy with this tyres.. but, if it's possible, don't wait for the change.. 2 or 3 years is ok, but, after four or five years, the tyres get hard and uncomfortable.

If you have the money, is a good option.
avatar
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Posts : 1257
Location : dublin

Re: Tyres for the CB500 (1994)

Post by wornsprokets on Sat 30 Sep 2017, 8:05 pm

Bt45s are a good tyre but as james says they crack like mad and rear squares off quick... ive 110/80/17 front on cb 500v and on cb500s ive a 110/70/17 front makes turn in quicker... roads in n.ireland and uk are way better than  terrible pot holed roads in south....(i had to avoid massive pot hole if i had hit it i would been off, i was banked over in left hand bend and to put it up right runnin me on to wrong side of road)u must not be in south driving much beresford. 1.33  euro litre petrol and crazy rate of high car tax and insurance from false whiplash claims and high tax on fuel
avatar
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Posts : 1451
Location : not that far from Kirkistown

Re: Tyres for the CB500 (1994)

Post by Beresford on Sat 30 Sep 2017, 8:41 pm

@wornsprokets wrote:u must not be in south driving much beresford.
WS I mustn't be unkind to the Southern roads. I've done a fair few miles in the past month through Dublin and also to Monaghan and Laois, and the roads were pretty good. Some fabulous biking roads in Monaghan, which surprised me.

Sponsored content

Re: Tyres for the CB500 (1994)

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 10:45 am