Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

New discs and pads

Ray Baxter
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

New discs and pads

Post by Ray Baxter on Wed 22 Mar 2017, 9:55 am

Hi guys 

Recently fitted new discs etc. New pads squeezed in with a little persuasion! Yes pistons fully retracted. Now the wheel does turn by hand, but there is more friction than I would like and the disc gets damn hot. Just windered what folks would do - run it or dismantle calliper and investigate further. Could it be a messed up slider? Any thoughts
hh_12345
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Re: New discs and pads

Post by hh_12345 on Wed 22 Mar 2017, 10:44 am

I guess it would be the slider if only one of the pads contacts the disc so there is space for the caliper position to be adjusted.
Ray Baxter
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Ray Baxter on Wed 22 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Thanks - there is no space between pad and the calliper casting. Plenty of space between the other pad and piston
Ray Baxter
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Ray Baxter on Wed 22 Mar 2017, 12:17 pm

Thanks - there is no space between pad and the calliper casting. Plenty of space between the other pad and piston
Vardypeeps
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by Vardypeeps on Wed 22 Mar 2017, 1:07 pm

Strip and clean your caliper at first to see if the slider is stuck.

Did you clean the brake pistons before retracting them? Dirt and grime on these can lead to them getting stuck in the caliper or not backing off properly when the lever is released.

Is your brake fluid old? Might as well replace it.

Bare in mind, aftermarket levers can apply slight lever pressure without you realising, this could also be a cause of your warm disc.
Ray Baxter
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Ray Baxter on Wed 22 Mar 2017, 6:12 pm

cheers,

Yeah, I need to do that, but its pissing it down with rain. I use the bike to commute and need it tomorrow. Do you think it will be Ok for a 50 mile commute? then sort tom? or am i being stupid. The wheel is stiff to turn by hand, but it can be rotated with one hand ok?

oops, soz, yes I cleaned pistons and added copper grease, all good there and the brake fluid was changed a month ago.

I have used EBC discs and pads if thats of any use?
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 22 Mar 2017, 7:47 pm

Might be that your mastercylinder has too much fluid in it. 

As you changed the fluid last month I would presume that the pads were worn and the piston was pushed out, then you've filled up the m/c to the correct level. 
Now you've had to push your piston all the way in... well as far as it would go. The brake fluid then gets pushed back into the m/c so it might be really full so the system is staying pressurised.  

Don't forget that new pads and discs do have extra "bite" until they're worn in. I usually drag my brake for half a mile at 30mph when I've changed the pads. Makes them bedin really nicely.
Ray Baxter
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Ray Baxter on Wed 22 Mar 2017, 8:31 pm

Thanks guys

Good point. 'll check the fluid level in the morning. Still raining here, so will ride it tomorrow. I'll post tom eve to let u knowb the outcome

fingers crossed
Ray Baxter
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Ray Baxter on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 7:02 pm

Hey, 50 miles later and the wheel turns more freely. I can now touch the disc without second degree burns. So I figure, i'll live with it and check the sliders next time I remove the disc.

cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 20 Sep 2017, 3:08 am