Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Fasteners

TheWizardofOdds
Godzilla
Godzilla

Fasteners

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Sat 18 Mar 2017, 12:08 pm

I've got an exhaust, fan and radiator to replace my rotted trio and need to replace all rubber mounts, hoses,  clips,  bolts, nuts etc.  I had a look on lings and for the exhaust alone it would cost 75 pounds ish. 

Any ideas about where I could get these items at less exorbitant prices? Ideally Stainless Steel for the fasteners.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Re: Fasteners

Post by jerryfudd on Sat 18 Mar 2017, 12:38 pm

if it helps i buy all my nuts and bolts from Kay's..... all my engine bolts are from them (A2 cap head) - in fact i rebuilt most the CB with them

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Kays-Fasteners
TheWizardofOdds
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Sat 18 Mar 2017, 6:59 pm

jerryfudd wrote:if it helps i buy all my nuts and bolts from Kay's..... all my engine bolts are from them (A2 cap head) - in fact i rebuilt most the CB with them

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Kays-Fasteners

It definitely helps,  and is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks very much.  

I think the sizes are all on the lings site so I should be able to order OK.  

The port gaskets are about 6 quid each alone, although I'll probably have to order those but things like the coolant drain plug washer are 5 quid.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Sat 18 Mar 2017, 9:07 pm

good stuff Smile ......certainly better than Honda or ProBolt prices!
Vardypeeps
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by Vardypeeps on Mon 20 Mar 2017, 1:13 pm

Can always recommend Bapp Industrial Supplies.
Park in car park, remove old bolt and get them to match it up then replace and ride home
TheWizardofOdds
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Mon 20 Mar 2017, 6:51 pm

Vardypeeps wrote:Can always recommend Bapp Industrial Supplies.
Park in car park, remove old bolt and get them to match it up then replace and ride home

Where's that?

It definitely appeals, it's a bit of a carry on trying to work out what I need using the parts diagrams etc.
Vardypeeps
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by Vardypeeps on Tue 21 Mar 2017, 12:58 pm

TheWizardofOdds wrote:

Where's that?

It definitely appeals, it's a bit of a carry on trying to work out what I need using the parts diagrams etc.

Hi Wizard.

I didn't check your location before suggesting Bapp as I'm not sure they have branches further afield than Yorkshire.
Search for Industrial fastner suppliers and ring to see if they have a service counter not just warehouse.

Sorry, I got your hopes up and didn't check!

You could buy stainless from Halfords but they way overprice it for the quailty...

If I remember from my fastener sales days there was one called Scottish Premier Fasteners up North.
TheWizardofOdds
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Tue 21 Mar 2017, 6:28 pm

Vardypeeps wrote:

TheWizardofOdds wrote:

Where's that?

Hi Wizard.

I didn't check your location before suggesting Bapp as I'm not sure they have branches further afield than Yorkshire.
Search for Industrial fastner suppliers and ring to see if they have a service counter not just warehouse.

Sorry, I got your hopes up and didn't check!

You could buy stainless from Halfords but they way overprice it for the quailty...

If I remember from my fastener sales days there was one called Scottish Premier Fasteners up North.

No problem at all. Thanks for the suggestion all the same. 

I know what you mean about halfords, I got a couple of ss hose clips and they weren't exactly cheap. I can't justify paying the lings prices at all so I'll just have to collect as and when I can. 

I'll check out your suggestion about the Scottish fasteners thanks.  

I notice most places have the sizes of bolts as M something or other but on the lings site it just gives sizes in millimetres. Any conversion lists anywhere? I'll check in a bit myself anyway.
Vardypeeps
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by Vardypeeps on Tue 21 Mar 2017, 6:50 pm

M8 x 100mm
Should be 8mm wide at the threaded section by 100mm to the head of the bolt/allen screw. The head of the bolt/screw will almost always be the right size unless your getting some with a flange on the head.

If you measure any you remove for replacement with a vernier gauge you should get a good idea of what you need.

Most metric bolts for engine casings etc have a standard thread pitch and stainless usually matches (you can easily tell by looking at the spacing between threads on the bolt/screw).

Think Honda's are mostly M8 by whatever length.

I would still stick to the Honda OEM ones where it's important like at the yoke clamps, swing arm, axles etc

Hope this helps a little.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 21 Mar 2017, 7:42 pm

M8 x1.25 is the most common bolt that is used on this bike. I can try to find out odd bolts should you need them.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Tue 21 Mar 2017, 9:36 pm

It pays to always check thread pitch as well as diameter as metric threads can be fine medium or coarse. Though medium is the normal pitch you'd expect to find. The one which is not normal of course is the mirror stem thread !
TheWizardofOdds
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 11:49 pm

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I've got no excuse not to crack on with replacing all the nasty nuts and bolts now!

Removing bolts that have been covered in about 5 coats of bbq paint anyone?...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 23 Oct 2017, 8:00 pm