Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

What have I done wrong here?

JLev88

What have I done wrong here?

Post by JLev88 on Thu 16 Mar 2017, 6:21 pm

Can anyone see what I've done wrong here after putting new forks on the 
Bike, the front end and front brake feel awful! Thanks in advance

JLev88

Re: What have I done wrong here?

Post by JLev88 on Thu 16 Mar 2017, 6:23 pm

Also apologies for the formatting, I've done this on my phone. It looks like I've over tightened the axle or missed a spacer by the speedo drive or something?

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Thu 16 Mar 2017, 6:54 pm

Just been out to check mine and it's much the same. Rides with no problem.

I expect your issue may be more to do with the brake side, or the forks maybe.

When you say "feels awful", how do you mean?
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Thu 16 Mar 2017, 7:14 pm

Undo the pinch bolt on the bottom of the NS forkleg. See if the leg pops across a tad.
The base of the hex on the head of the bolt should be flush with the fork leg.
If it won't line up the stanchion may be out of true, but hopefully it will pop into place when you ease off the pinch bolt.

Edit: Also there is no spacer on the speedo side, it relies on the pinch bolt.
JLev88

Post by JLev88 on Thu 16 Mar 2017, 7:40 pm

The front end feels like there is a lot more vibration, and the mirrors are vibrating more so it's not just my imagination! The front brake also suddenly seems to feel hard/wooden. I'll try the pinch bolt tomorrow and, I'm assuming, hopefully the fork pops inwards a touch! Thanks all
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Thu 16 Mar 2017, 7:44 pm

That first picture makes it look as if you have a bearing adrift or something. It looks as if the axle is way off centre.
PS. New forks - Wow!
JLev88

Post by JLev88 on Thu 16 Mar 2017, 9:03 pm

I'll have to take the wheel off and look at the bearings as well then. Also, sorry for being a total noob at this but what do you mean by the axle being 'off centre'? Off centre to what? And how can I rectify it? 

Thanks all!
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Thu 16 Mar 2017, 9:53 pm

JLev8 wrote:what do you mean by the axle being 'off centre'? Off centre to what?
I meant that it looked as if the axle was not running co-axially with the wheel. Not that the wheel was to one side of the forks.
I may be totally wrong, just that the picture gave that impression.
You also said that the brakes were not working correctly and a wheel with a problem bearing could have that symptom.
Vardypeeps
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by Vardypeeps on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 12:31 pm

@Beresford wrote:That first picture makes it look as if you have a bearing adrift or something. It looks as if the axle is way off centre.
PS. New forks - Wow!

Does look like the speedo side bearing might not be seated right but only by 1-2mm or so if at all?

Don't suppose your bike has been sat for a long time waiting for your new forks? Could it be a mucky chain creating vibration or some old fuel clogging one of the carbs making it run rough?

Any other things changed/tinkered with while waiting for forks?
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 19 Mar 2017, 8:23 pm

You said you put 'new forks' on. Were these complete forks? Were they *brand* new or second-hand?

If they were second hand, did you rebuild them? Do you know they are not bent?

Why did you replace the forks? If it was after an accident then it might be more than the forks that were bent.... for example, the headstock can get bent which won't help the handling (don't ask why I know this!)
JLev88

Post by JLev88 on Wed 22 Mar 2017, 7:59 am

Well thank you all, after inspection it turns out that the N/S fork is slightly bent, oh the joys of ebay! Annoyingly it was the N/S fork that needed replacing as the previous one had completely seized and no amount of persuasion could separate the lower from the upper parts of the fork, even when taken to a professional mechanic. 

Luckily those "new" forks were only £150 and whilst the N/S one is a bit bent, I was considering sending it to Brook Suspension for a rebuild (has anyone used them?)

Anyway, thanks all for your advice, very much appreciated!
Vardypeeps
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by Vardypeeps on Wed 22 Mar 2017, 1:01 pm

If they were discribed as being sold as new, even when second hand, your within your rights to request a full refund and send them back.

It might be a bit of a faff but if they were sold as straight, they should be straight...

Which part is bent? No end of work will fix a bent fork slider (the lower section the wheel is attached to), you would have to buy this part seperate.

Happened to me with my Suzuki Van Van.
Crashed it and rebuilt the forks to get rid of the bent sanctions, rebuilt with Suzuki OEM sanctions to find one was getting stuck only an inch into it's travel.
Turned out the fork slider/lower had some form of dent or bend meaning the sanction could not slide correctly.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 7:40 am