Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

quick way of getting fresh oil into the engine??

trevor machine
the 900
the 900

quick way of getting fresh oil into the engine??

Post by trevor machine on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 5:37 pm

Is there a specific kind of funnel or tube or I dunno, THINGY, that makes it easier and quicker to get three-ish litres of oil into this bike, and probably most other bikes. It's right bloody faff using a bog standard funnel cos it ends up canted over at an angle of about 45 degrees, so when you pour your oil in it easily starts to overflow unless you're really slow and careful. I don't want to be slow and careful - I want to be quick and not really give a f***. Is there a way??
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Re: quick way of getting fresh oil into the engine??

Post by wornsprokets on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 5:45 pm

U can get a funnell out of halfrauds... with a long flexible neck thats about all i can think but always spill some when refilling with normal funnel
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 6:31 pm

Might try one o' dem. ; - )

Quick unrelated anecdote / observation from earlier. Bikes are starting to come out - and with them, the poseurs and twits. Today I saw the epitome - the absolute embodiment - of the point and squirt squid, the straight line hero par excellence.

Saw him in my (car) mirrors probably five minutes before he was aware of me. I'm a bit religious about 30 limits (in car and on bike), and I also tend to not go too mad in 40 buffer zones either. So anyway, I've got the kids from school, I'm slogging my way out of the village - I've clocked this bike way behind. There's one car in front of me.

We all get to a long, dead straight stretch where we can do 60 - a mile and a half blast that ends in a narrowed, hump back bridge, and a left kink - which then goes into a series of three very interesting and quite severe bends.

Suffice to say the bike razzed past me - a kwakka, zx thou or whatever - but I could see way ahead that we're all going to have to stop at the bridge, cos oncoming shit etc.

Eventually we all set off again and bike overtakes car in front - I follow, cos I love these bends quarter of a mile in front. Except I'm mindful of this bike - something tells me he's maybe not as awesome has he seems to think. So I hang back. And I as the corners loom, I hang back a bit more. And a bit more again. And holy crap we're going round these corners at 10-15 mph. I can maybe do them at 40 on bike, 45+ in car. This is ridiculous.

Anyway, we get to the next three mile long straight - which is a couple hundred yards away - and RAAZZZZ. RAAZZZ, RAAAAZZZZZZZZ - 130mph. I'm just bimbling along at 56, meanwhile.

Who the f*** is giving these tools licences??? Embarrassing. I was ashamed to own a bike, watching this clown. And it's not even April yet.
ZekeVal
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by ZekeVal on Thu 16 Mar 2017, 6:38 pm

Wider population of riders (especially including those who don't ride that often) = more chance to see this kind of behaviour ...

About your oil insertion problem: get some junk prospectus from your mailbox, and roll it into a nice long straight funnel (piece of paper will do).
I've seen it done but never tried.

BTW, I didn't know "par excellence" was used by your brits; next time I come to the UK I might try just talking french to your guys, seeing the amount of our language you use  geek.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Thu 16 Mar 2017, 7:56 pm

ZekeVal wrote:BTW, I didn't know "par excellence" was used by your brits; next time I come to the UK I might try just talking french to your guys, seeing the amount of our language you use  geek.

Au contraire, mongammy, we all parlons franglais now, verstehe?
ZekeVal
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by ZekeVal on Sat 18 Mar 2017, 7:11 am

Ahah, I'm sure you all do Wink
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sat 18 Mar 2017, 10:56 am

My wife's dad asked my eldest daughter (10) if she knew that there were some French words in regular use within the English language. She said what you mean like frisson, rendezvous, nonchalant and cliché?

Bloody swat. : - |
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 18 Mar 2017, 1:02 pm

trevor machine wrote:My wife's dad asked my eldest daughter (10) if she knew that there were some French words in regular use within the English language. She said what you mean like frisson, rendezvous, nonchalant and cliché?

Bloody swat. : - |

Just had to check that 3 of those are even words and the definition for the 4th  Shocked
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sat 18 Mar 2017, 1:10 pm

Yeah her granddad was a bit taken aback too - I think he was hoping to impart a bit o' learning. Funny in the week too - the teacher was apparently reading a passage from a book, this one sentence had the word "loquacious" in it, and she said I've absolutely no idea what that word means. Our Lucy said "It means talkative, miss." Lol - pwnd teach.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Sat 18 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

trevor machine wrote:Our Lucy said "It means talkative, miss." Lol - pwnd teach.

Now, you're not half bad with them words yourself, I've noticed. Eloquence runs in the family?

Still, many people nowadays do not seem to regard a comprehensive vocabulary desirable. Strange, methinks. Eloquence - and with it the beforementioned comprehensive vocabulary - is a powerful instrument indeed. And it's completely free. All you have to do is pick up all the unknown stuff as it passes you by.

But people spend their time watching the telly showing reality shows Sad

Quoting Groucho Marx; "I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book"

Ernie Kovacs has this to add; "Television: A medium. So called because it's neither rare nor well done."
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sat 18 Mar 2017, 6:40 pm

About television, I like Stephen Fry's comment , "It's not to see, it's to be seen on"
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sun 19 Mar 2017, 11:57 am

stormbringer wrote:

trevor machine wrote:Our Lucy said "It means talkative, miss." Lol - pwnd teach.
Now, you're not half bad with them words yourself, I've noticed. Eloquence runs in the family?

No - there were no books in our house when I was growing up, although my mum did like going to the library, and took me sometimes. What it was, really, I got to my mid 20s thinking I was fairly smart (despite myriad pointers suggesting otherwise - not least of which were my 'O' Level results, etc.) and had a bit of a rude awakening when I discovered I was nowhere near as clever as I'd assumed. I was affronted by this breaking news - and realised I'd bloody well have to put some serious effort in if the situation to was to be remedied. It never really was - but I did work quite hard for a fair few years, reading as much as I could, etc., and trying to get at least a little "cultured". It was fun, as well - which always helps. And now I'm trying to get the kids interested in language and learning, and anything else I think they might be interested in. They respond quite well, on the whole - bless 'em. ; - )
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sun 19 Mar 2017, 12:03 pm

Meanwhile back on topic - I bought one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Fuel-Measuring-Jug-5-Litre-Flexible-Spout-Cap-Lid-Metric-Imperial-/360971997237?hash=item540b9b9035:g:nY8AAOSwgQ9V3C4m

Bloody useless - I can see it working for cars, but for bikes where the fill hole is small...no. Takes just as long as any other way and is just as prone to spillage.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sun 19 Mar 2017, 2:03 pm

OK, if nothing else works, get a funnel (with a nozzle which will fit in the filler hole) and drill a small hole in the rim. Hitch the funnel into an upright position using a piece of wire with hooked ends attached to somewhere suitable on the bike.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 19 Mar 2017, 6:34 pm

For this problem I added a bit of flexible hose to the end of my normal funnel - my other bike has an even more dumb filler placement than the cb500!  (you can't even get near it with an oil can)

On another note: you pick-up most of your vocabulary from what is said to you and what is said around you when you are (very) young, so I would suspect that trevor you are almost entirely responsible for your daughters eloquence ;)
spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Sun 19 Mar 2017, 9:36 pm

Watashi wa Furansugo (French) ga zen zen wakarimasen !. Watashitachi no autobai wa Nihon no autobai dakara Mina San wa nihongo on benkyou o Shinakereba narimasen. Muzukashikunai desu. Jyuugo nen mai ni, benkyoushiteimashita. Yomi To kaki mo sukoshi muzukashi ga.... totemo omoshiroi deshita.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Mon 20 Mar 2017, 12:09 pm

As this thread has branched out into esoteric areas of language, here's a little ditty which shows great sensitivity in the use of colloquial english.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtxPy5OKRxw
Crash- Elmit
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Post by Crash- Elmit on Fri 24 Mar 2017, 8:59 pm

I use a redex fuel additive bottle with the bottom cut off. it fits the thread perfectly so I can just pour the oil in
spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Fri 24 Mar 2017, 10:01 pm

Crash- Elmit wrote:I use a redex fuel additive bottle with the bottom cut off. it fits the thread perfectly so I can just pour the oil in

Always a simple solution
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Sat 25 Mar 2017, 1:40 pm

Boodysaspie
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Boodysaspie on Tue 28 Mar 2017, 9:13 pm

scratch scratch scratch

Uhhh ... how do you avoid overfilling?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 20 Oct 2017, 3:10 pm