Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Electrics die at high rpm

Scatcat1994
Squiddy
Squiddy

Electrics die at high rpm

Post by Scatcat1994 on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 4:32 pm

Hey Guys,

When I rev my bike up to about 8000 rpm it splutters, the headlight flutters and then everything dies.

Engine stalls, light turns off, all instruments completely out.

If I turn they key off and on after it stalls nothing happens, everything stays dead, when I smack the tank everything comes back on and works again as it should.

The bike has a 47hp A2 restrictor (washers in the intakes)

It does this whether in neutral or in gear.

I have absolutely no idea whats going on.

Cheers guys
Vardypeeps
Two Tone
Two Tone

Re: Electrics die at high rpm

Post by Vardypeeps on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 12:39 pm

Check your main fuse and starter relay connection in roughly the same area. The relay should be attached to the positive battery lead I think and you may find it's become corroded shorting the bike out whilst it's running?

Had the same type of thing happen to me on my Suzuki SV650 and it was a faulty starter relay/main fuse that was to blame, always used to work again when I wiggled the wiring loom.
Not fun when it happens at full lean, 70mph with someone following directly behind! Nearly crashed due to my engine breaking when it cut out!

All I can suggest I'm afraid.

Starter relay is behind the right hand side panel and is on the left of the fuses, you will see the main connections entering the rubber cover over it. Remove the cover and inspect the main fuse and wiring connections (I think it's the spark jumping between the two that causes the cut out and if it's not restarting the main fuse may be blown?).
Scatcat1994
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Scatcat1994 on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 7:20 pm

Thanks for the advice, I'll give that a look.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 7:54 pm

Be careful with them restrictors, mine had them fitted and it restricted the engine so then  the valves got hotter than it should and the valve stem cracked and put a valve end through my piston... oh and there was a massive dead spot in the rev range when the rev needle is vertical, can't remember what rpm it is but it's at 70mph in 6th gear with stock gearing ratio. 

Back onto topic. 

I had a simular issue a while back... turned out that one of the nuts on the battery terminal had come a little loose and with a little knock it moved it enough for the current to pass through again. Try checking them before you do anything else.
Scatcat1994
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Scatcat1994 on Thu 16 Mar 2017, 5:46 pm

BOys I've just had a look at my battery terminals and I tightened the positive one up.

When I tried to tighten the negative terminal however it just continuously spins and doe not tighten.
It also would not come out when I tried to slacken it out, almost like its stripped.

The bolt however wont lift off when I get pliers on it.  Never seen anything quite like it.

Might need to chop the terminal and get a new battery
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 19 Mar 2017, 8:09 pm

@Scatcat1994 wrote:BOys I've just had a look at my battery terminals and I tightened the positive one up.

When I tried to tighten the negative terminal however it just continuously spins and doe not tighten.
It also would not come out when I tried to slacken it out, almost like its stripped.

The bolt however wont lift off when I get pliers on it.  Never seen anything quite like it.

Might need to chop the terminal and get a new battery

That sounds like the culprit!

The battery nuts and bolts are normally made of copper (which is soft) so I bet it is stripped. To get the battery off the bike you may need to drill/grind off the head of the bolt to free the battery lead.

Once you get it out you might be able to get at the bottom of the battery terminal which might help.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 10:59 am