Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Paraffin?

BallisticBrian
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Paraffin?

Post by BallisticBrian on Thu 09 Mar 2017, 11:02 pm

Hi guys. How's it going?

Someone gave me a couple of litres of paraffin to clean my chain and I only used a couple of ml.

How can I use this paraffin up by adding it to the tank? Can I add a proportion to the fuel to get rid of.

I'm not worried if there's a dip in performance but don't want to bugger up my carburettor and cause any timing issues.
thanks in advance for your expertise! Wink
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Re: Paraffin?

Post by Beresford on Thu 09 Mar 2017, 11:23 pm

Is the boy serious ?!!! This is wrong on both counts. Paraffin will ruin the roller lubrication of the chain, and will fuck up the engine as well. Don't even think about putting it into the tank.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 10 Mar 2017, 8:02 am

Beresford wrote:Is the boy serious ?!!! This is wrong on both counts. Paraffin will ruin the roller lubrication of the chain, and will fuck up the engine as well. Don't even think about putting it into the tank.

Wrong on the first account. The instructions on my D.I.D Chain says on the actual packaging to use paraffin to clean the chain but then to lubricate it afterwards... I'll have to check the box.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Fri 10 Mar 2017, 8:10 am

Jameshambleton wrote:

Beresford wrote:Is the boy serious ?!!! This is wrong on both counts. Paraffin will ruin the roller lubrication of the chain, and will fuck up the engine as well. Don't even think about putting it into the tank.

Wrong on the first account. The instructions on my D.I.D Chain says on the actual packaging to use paraffin to clean the chain but then to lubricate it afterwards... I'll have to check the box.

All the bike handbooks I have suggest paraffin as a chain cleaner (and EP90 as a lubricant). This is Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki.

I suppose the rejoinder is that it's a mild solvent and will effectively attack the grease within the O rings. But I'm struggling to think of a substance to clean the chain that wouldn't do this - maybe unused 10w40 on a rag? At any rate, I've had good results cleaning chains with paraffin and oiling with EP90 - I can get about 30k out of a chain. Maybe more.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Fri 10 Mar 2017, 8:15 am

BallisticBrian wrote:How can I use this paraffin up by adding it to the tank? Can I add a proportion to the fuel to get rid of.

Yeah sure - but do remember to add a few heaped teaspoons of sugar. drunken

BallisticBrian
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by BallisticBrian on Fri 10 Mar 2017, 8:22 am

It's ok guys I can get rid of on facebook selling pages. When I gooled it, some guy came up with a contraption to pre-heat paraffin and add it to the fuel flow on his bike with a tap that allowed you to start and stop the bike on pure petrol.

So basically I was asking what mixture ratio can go in a bike without the elaborate pre heating etc.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Fri 10 Mar 2017, 8:28 am

At the right quantities you could probably 'get away' with diluting the petrol in our humble CBs (urine perhaps?!), but I wouldn't recommend it...!

BallisticBrian
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by BallisticBrian on Fri 10 Mar 2017, 8:34 am

sullivj wrote:At the right quantities you could probably 'get away' with diluting the petrol in our humble CBs (urine perhaps?!), but I wouldn't recommend it...!

No, if you did that... I'd say URINE trouble.... :/
Fair Weather Rider
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Fair Weather Rider on Fri 10 Mar 2017, 8:42 am

I never use a solvent to clean my chain, just a wire brush on the outer links, then wipe with a rag and then chain lube.

Go for it.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Fri 10 Mar 2017, 12:54 pm

Here's what the Fount of All Knowledge says on the topic of chain cleaning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alDo_Sz3iO8

BallisticBrian
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by BallisticBrian on Fri 10 Mar 2017, 1:42 pm

I appreciate all the good will, however this thread was about - can I use it in the fuel tank, and it is now on facebook selling page. cheers anyway.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Fri 10 Mar 2017, 3:14 pm

As a general rule the answer is a quite emphatic no you bloody can't! ; - )

BallisticBrian
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by BallisticBrian on Fri 10 Mar 2017, 3:18 pm

Why don't you swap your name with Fair Weather Rider, and you would be Fair Weather Trevor? Wink
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Fri 10 Mar 2017, 4:01 pm

I've pondered that many, many times over the decades.
spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Fri 10 Mar 2017, 5:20 pm

Good thread, I was wondering on what is the best chain lube, after cleaning without spending a fortune on spray cans.

BallisticBrian
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by BallisticBrian on Fri 10 Mar 2017, 5:28 pm

As this thread has struck more interest in 24 hours than any of my other threads about niggly electrical issues that can't be fixed easily, I'll post a few picks and the link to the other site about Paraffin and motorbikes: Maybe this might even get my reputation up from "1" where it's been for over a decade. Who knows??? :O

http://www.100-biker.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10567

http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Fri 10 Mar 2017, 6:01 pm

I wouldnt use parafinn near any engine but good post brian.  If you post somthing else..  i give you my vote to boost ur rep but not this...i am afraid. Its a bad idea.. best give your parafinn to some one who has keresene burner or heater......or use it to clean stuff.  Keresene was used in stretching petrol and it ruined at least 2000 engines in ireland...in 2015
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Fri 10 Mar 2017, 6:42 pm

Whenever I have tried to buy paraffin recently for a weed burner, it has cost more than petrol anyway. So I don't see much point in attempting to run an engine with it.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Fri 10 Mar 2017, 6:53 pm

My cousin works in a garage in dundalk county louth ireland not that far from border of northern ireland , the amount of  engines that have been killed by washed diesel and stretched petrol is not funny.... these practices are  usual carried out by very dodgy people..  modern cars especially  modern turbo diesel ones  will not last long....and you be stuck with scrap engine...
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Fri 10 Mar 2017, 7:54 pm

wornsprokets wrote:My cousin works in a garage in dundalk county louth ireland not that far from border of northern ireland , the amount of  engines that have been killed by washed diesel and stretched petrol is not funny.... these practices are  usual carried out by very dodgy people..  modern cars especially  modern turbo diesel ones  will not last long....and you be stuck with scrap engine...
Ah Ken, that made me chuckle. Good farming area south Armagh and County Louth, and you know how farmers hate spending a pound (or euro) if they think stuff can be bought cheaper.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Fri 10 Mar 2017, 8:15 pm

Hehe mike... no wonder farmers can afford landcruisers when there filled up to neck with green diesel.. the amount of cars on m1 to dublin are full of green diesel....no probs with that but washed diesel&stretched petrol too dodgy for engine...to take chance....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 24 Oct 2017, 1:09 am