Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

do you ever replace just your front sprocket?

trevor machine
the 900
the 900

do you ever replace just your front sprocket?

Post by trevor machine on Wed 08 Mar 2017, 6:02 pm

I decided to do a good proper clean of my bikes the other day - getting all the grease off that I'd covered them with for winter, etc. etc. One job was taking the chain guards and sprocket covers off. One had a quite hooked front sprocket - but the chain itself is shiny (a blingy Iris branded goldy looking one) and the rear sprocket is in very good order too.

I think both chain and rear sprocket have a lot of life left in them - possibly 10k (I'm pretty fastidious about chain care - cleaning w/ paraffin and oiling with EP90 after almost every ride). Hence I'm replacing only the front sprocket. Obviously, it's significantly smaller than the rear one and so can be expected to wear noticeably quicker. For these and related reasons I'm just going to replace it and continue running the chain and rear.

Do any of you guys ever do this? I ask because afaict most bike owners seem to replace all three components at the same time, as a matter of course. Maybe I would if it was a 'Blade or whatever - but the comparatively mild-mannered CB500 won't mind so much, imo.
Jameshambleton

Re: do you ever replace just your front sprocket?

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 08 Mar 2017, 6:44 pm

JT sprockets you don't need to do this anymore apparently, just change the sprockets with the chain. 
To answer the question yes I've also done this.
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Thu 09 Mar 2017, 1:00 am

this may have been covered in a delboys garage vid but in answer to your question yes i did it with a 1 tooth down renthal front sprocket. It fixed a slight jerky lag effect I was getting coming on the power, which seemed to be caused by the teeth having worn thin. I think I did this about 10-15k after replacing both sprockets and chain and its been good ever since.

interesting stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxD3qdD7LhE
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Thu 09 Mar 2017, 11:24 am

Yes, I change the front sprocket as a matter of course at around 12-14000 miles in the life of the chain. The front sprocket wears much more rapidly than the rear and a wornsprocket (lol) will accelerate chain wear.

I would surmise that chain vendors would like you to change all at once simply as that would be good business for them.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Thu 09 Mar 2017, 12:15 pm

Hmm - well put. I feel a bit less pikey now. ; - )
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 19 Mar 2017, 6:13 pm

No, not pikey at all - just common sense. The front sprocket has to handle the same power as the rear sprocket but with smaller number/area of teeth so it is no surprise that it wears first.

If you replace it before it is too knackered then you might even extend your chain life.

I've not heard of anyone using *more* than two front sprockets to one rear (and chain), but I guess it just depends on how it wears.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 19 Oct 2017, 6:10 am