You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Wombles Wheels

ultrawomble

Wombles Wheels

Post by ultrawomble on Wed 01 Mar 2017, 11:32 pm

Hello - Womble from Preston here.
I have a bit of an eclectic taste in bikes and recently picked up a CB500Y for daily commuting duties when the X9 did something typically Italian with the electronics.

I have a PC50 in the shed at the mo ( and a Tomos moped in bits- teh POWAH)
Recent bikes have been a MSX125 ( couldn't leave it anywhere without some little scrote or other trying to nick it) and various vintage mopeds (Im a serial moped licker) and the X9-500
The C50 has a 140cc engine fitted which renders the front brake utterly useless.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: Wombles Wheels

Post by sullivj on Thu 02 Mar 2017, 6:31 am

Looks like a nice example Womble. Welcome to the forum.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 02 Mar 2017, 7:21 am

@ultrawomble wrote:Hello - Womble from Preston here.

The C50 has a 140cc engine fitted which renders the front brake utterly useless.

Good to hear that there is someone as daft mad as me! That and you're not too far away from me too, there are a few members in Preston on the forum. 
http://www.cb500club.net/t5123-northern-meet-up-april
ultrawomble

Post by ultrawomble on Fri 31 Mar 2017, 8:10 pm

Eventful couple of weeks - ended up being bummed £180 for two tyres as opposed to having to get just one as the bike had a radial front and cross ply rear ( the rear was getting thin). Lots of arguments with the garage about this as they ha only MOT'd it a couple of weeks before hand and not noticed the mixed tyres, but did notice the thin rear.
A happy bunny I was not that day.

I regret that I have but one shed to fill with shonky old mopeds... Just bought a 65cc kit for the Tomos and have this mad idea about shoving some knobblies on it and going over the Gatescarth Pass on one of the open access days.

Comedy gold moment earlier in the week when pulling out of the health centre car park turning right I stalled as I set off - already leaning right there was no way I could have stopped the bike going over without hurting something. 
So very very slowly bike and fat man lay down.

Brake lever only bit to suffer. Even the Zorst got off scot free. New brake lever ordered for the princely sum of £3.99 which arrived today and demonstrated why it was £3.99 as it fits as tight as a nuns chuff. Will need a quick session with the BFO file to ensure that it returns to the "off" position when released.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 9:27 pm

@ultrawomble wrote:Hello - Womble from Preston here.

I have a PC50 in the shed
Recent bikes have been a MSX125
various vintage mopeds (Im a serial moped licker)
Hi, and welcome Smile

Ah - the moped bug... Or just 'minibike'-bug, as you've been running a MSX125 which I'd like to try at some point. I've got that bug too:

If you look closely, you'll see the ST70 is out of order. To be fixed, hopefully tomorrow if I can get hold of suitable materials.

The CB is in fully working order - and an Y reg like yours Smile
ultrawomble

Post by ultrawomble on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 9:43 pm

The MSX was a fab fun little thing - but just hated leaving it anywhere and couldnt justify it being a garage queen - 

I'd love a monkey ( or another MSX) but for the moment I havent got the space for stuff that isnt used. I do keep looking at those DAX clones though on eBay.

I have a 65cc kit going on this next week all the way from Amsterdam where the Dutch seem to like them.  I still feel a bit ambivalent about taking it off road.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 9:59 pm

@ultrawomble wrote:The MSX was a fab fun little thing - but just hated leaving it anywhere

I do keep looking at those DAX clones though on eBay.

I have a 65cc kit going on this 
still feel a bit ambivalent about taking it off road.

The trouble with minibikes is they can simply be carried away. Too light - my ST weighs in at a whopping 65 kilos and should I leave it (not happening!), I'd have to chain it to something immobile.

Dax clones are Chinese quality. You have been warned.

Looks like a Ciao on steroids. Not a bike I'd want to go fast on. And certainly not off-road!
ultrawomble

Post by ultrawomble on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 12:07 am

@stormbringer wrote:

@ultrawomble wrote:The MSX was a fab fun little thing - but just hated leaving it anywhere

I do keep looking at those DAX clones though on eBay.
Dax clones are Chinese quality. You have been warned.

Looks like a Ciao on steroids. Not a bike I'd want to go fast on. And certainly not off-road!
True, and by the time you have replaced all the Chinese bits with decent kit you may as well just buy a proper one - the only difference with the Chinese clone being that I can at least build it up over time as and when the funds allow, all the while riding it whilst the sun shines!

The Tomos Targa is very similar in design to the Ciao - part of the fun going more than 45mph on something like that! There is a green lane not far from me called the Gatescarth pass and I keep thinking it would be a bit bonkers to try and do it on a small capacity bike
http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/visiting/thingstodo/green_roads/green_road_gatescarth/gatesgarth-guidelines
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 8:08 am

@ultrawomble wrote:There is a green lane not far from me called the Gatescarth pass and I keep thinking it would be a bit bonkers to try and do it on a small capacity bike
http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/visiting/thingstodo/green_roads/green_road_gatescarth/gatesgarth-guidelines

Nice!!!

"Why d'ya do it? Because I can!"

Sometimes the fun is in doing something quite clearly  foolish. However, a Dax clone would fit the purpose so much better here. The americans call it the Trail 70 Smile

How fast may the Tomos go - legally? I assume it's a moped, not a small motorcycle.

Thoughts on clones: Yes. Also, if you happen to break it somehow, it's less of a disaster. And easy to repair as this particular engine is the worlds most popular motor type. If you find confidence in numbers/statistics, this one is 'home safe'.
ultrawomble

Post by ultrawomble on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 10:07 am

@stormbringer wrote:

@ultrawomble wrote:There is a green lane not far from me called the Gatescarth pass and I keep thinking it would be a bit bonkers to try and do it on a small capacity bike

How fast may the Tomos go - legally? I assume it's a moped, not a small motorcycle.

Yes, legally the Tomos shouldn't go above 30mph but oddly ( and optimistically) Tomos saw fit to fit them with a speedo that goes up to 50mph.
I can change the entitlement on the log book, though in doing that lots of other regulations come into play changing it from "bicycle" class to "Motorcycle" class. 

Hmm, you have got me thinking seriously about a DAX clone again now....
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Mon 03 Apr 2017, 8:22 pm

@ultrawomble wrote:I can change the entitlement on the log book, though in doing that lots of other regulations come into play changing it from "bicycle" class to "Motorcycle" class. 

Hmm, you have got me thinking seriously about a DAX clone again now....

Changing from something smaller to "Motorcycle" class: Right, I've just gone through that process. The Dax on the picture is a '73 original, previously classified as a moped. 20 mph.
No longer so. Negotiating danish vehicular bureaucracy was mental, but I've done it. Because I can!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 17 Aug 2018, 11:46 am