Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Cb500 s

wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Cb500 s

Post by wornsprokets on Sat 25 Feb 2017, 7:10 pm

So i picked up this  cb500s  today off a friend it never be mint but its a usuable bike...has 18k...looks to be genuine as its not as rattly as my 43 k cb500v... its been left up for 6yrs  so tires were flat... needs good service .but carbs dont seem to be gumed up.... indicator broken...front brake lever end snaped...also has yss rear shocks(bit rusty) front peg broken...

Beresford
the 900
the 900

Re: Cb500 s

Post by Beresford on Sat 25 Feb 2017, 7:23 pm

Yah boo Ken. It's blue. That's the slow version !!  Razz
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sat 25 Feb 2017, 7:42 pm

I  have to get   the nitrous can out to beat your red one so mr  beresford.....  its Moody blue
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sat 25 Feb 2017, 7:54 pm

Red is even slower. Mine's Fastest Black. Cool
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sat 25 Feb 2017, 8:29 pm

At least i be able to keep up so afro
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 02 Mar 2017, 11:43 am

That looks like it will clean up well (despite the slow speed Smile

I'm betting it needs an oil/filter change after 6 years! Were the brakes stuck on? You should change the fluid even if they aren't...

You'll be able to give us a naked vs. fairing review Smile
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 12 Mar 2017, 5:23 pm

Starting to do bit of work on cb 500s i changed oil &filter and camchain tensioner started to rattle...  so i took.. carbs and airbox out to take camchain tensionser ..  took camchain tensioner out and its in bath of oil at mo

[size=32]u.jpg" />URL=http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif][/URL] check out front sproket wtf?[/size]
As bike was left up for years and carbs are off i was going to take them apart for a clean but three of on of carb bowl screws are cross headed... so i leave carbs for now as they are if there problem running bad i order new screws from david silver spares
...the rad on my 97cb 500v sprung a leak during the week so i took rad off the s,    so i havent decided yet to by a delkivic one or get old one repaired
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 12 Mar 2017, 7:09 pm

The brakes were draging but not stuck on e.t......the tyres were fairly new...but were flat and out of shape now ...yes it get brake overhaul...also fork seals are gone too so fluid was leaking into caliper.... also it has very low yss rear shocks that make it hard to get it onto  centre stand and easy to toppel of side stand...its also missing  foot peg,   i let u know what its like to ride but it be good while before i do....
Having two other bikes...on road
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 19 Mar 2017, 8:01 pm

Not surprised about the tyres - there isn't really anything you can do about that (other than buy new ones) - mind you, would be worth getting it going first!

That sprocket looks f*cked! Once the teeth start to wear badly then it is a vicious circle of destruction - what does the rest of the chain and rear sprocket look like? If you are lucky you might be able to get away with just a new front one...
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 19 Mar 2017, 9:42 pm

It looks like a cheap non oring chainseems ok with a split link...rear sproket looks ok.too... i did forkseals today it must been leaking long time caliper pads forklegs covered in fork oil...also hard to get caliper off the disc.... also had camchain tensioner in bath of oil for week... it back in engine now but i cant do anything till i get new rad or get old one repaired

[size=31]dont worry ive timber and couple bricks under front of engine... but builders transformers come in handy[/size]
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 26 Mar 2017, 7:40 pm

Rear caliper sliding pins seized solid....cleaned and put back together
so forks are back in with new seals and fork oil

Front end back on calipers sliding pins cleaned and also pistons cleaned

Loads meat on rear pads  but this happened when putting  caliper back into the disc...old pads left in for years
Luckly i had an other pad left over from my other cb ,also put carbs back on ...so i am going put radiator back on .
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 27 Mar 2017, 8:25 am

That happens Smile Sometimes you can see little cracks at the bottom of the pads where they are splitting off the backplate, sometimes it just falls off (as you found).
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Mon 27 Mar 2017, 12:00 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:That happens Smile  Sometimes you can see little cracks at the bottom of the pads where they are splitting off the backplate, sometimes it just falls off (as you found).
Oooops. This persuaded me to replace the front pads in my Tiger now (they are the same as the CB Nissin pads incidentally)  I decided that as they are the originals and 14 years old was enough !!!
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Fri 14 Jul 2017, 7:31 pm

So i had my  first proper run(in about 6yrs plus) on cb 500s yesterday evening , i think engine is sweet a nut and looks to be genuine 18k on it, also think could be a little faster than my cb 500v... but the bt45s are scrap as they were flat i say for most of years cb was left up.. so new tyres when funds allow
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sun 16 Jul 2017, 6:51 am

Oi Worny - what did you think of those YSS jobs? Having just put some on mine ("Bravo Twin" shocks, as they call them), they're a bit soft imo. Not too soft, exactly - but bloody close!!
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 16 Jul 2017, 9:50 am

They were on the bike there terrible ...a previous owner must been very short ..its very low at the back ....its like a chopper.... low at back high at front.... tec have now there shocks in stock on there web site at 50 pounds you cant loose trevor....sell your yss on...in fairness yss on  my cb 500s are bit rusty but there not leaking if there were not so dam short the mite be ok...
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Today at 8:28 pm

Glad to hear you've got it going.  If it's really only got 18k on it then it is barely run in!

Last edited by eternally_troubled on Sat 22 Jul 2017, 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bloody typos....)
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets Today at 8:48 pm

Yep ...it looks to be genuine  et... there no mot here but i know i was left up for over 6 yrs so it would ring true on low miles also  the paint  where seat meets the tank is unmarked ... where on any honda ive had including  cb 500v usually  worn & rusty from miles and rubbing seat on tank... also front caliper pistons like new... and front forks have no rust or pitting on them...
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Today at 8:50 pm

So are you going to sell your naked CB500 or keep two?
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets Today at 9:41 pm

My cousin wants the s  for his test...when he sees how good a cb rides i am sure he want it.....he get cb on conditon that when he doesnt want it...it come back to me.... i dont think i ever sell the cb 500v... if it does come back ....it mite eventually be come a track bike

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 22 Jul 2017, 11:42 pm