You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Any recommendations for a reg/rec?

louis_sutton
the 800
the 800

Any recommendations for a reg/rec?

Post by louis_sutton on Tue 21 Feb 2017, 12:35 pm

Having just suffered the ignominy of a recovery van, my charging system is shot so I'm eyeing the reg/rec with suspicion. Yet to do any checks, as I had to leg it to work.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Over £150 for an original is a touch painful, £78 at wemoto, or are the cheap ones on the bay actually any good? Tempted by a £15 one just out of sheer curiosity how long it would take to kill it!

Cheers
Louis
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Re: Any recommendations for a reg/rec?

Post by wornsprokets on Tue 21 Feb 2017, 12:42 pm

Ive a tourmax..in cb and a west county windings one in blade... not cheap but both going strong 2yrrs on...depend how much u want to pay?
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 21 Feb 2017, 1:47 pm

Get a mosfet reg/reg and run it independently  of the  loom. A used one for  about 50-60
louis_sutton
the 800
the 800

Post by louis_sutton on Tue 21 Feb 2017, 3:15 pm

Thanks both- I'll be honest, I'd rather pay as little as possible, as my bike is useless once the ulez comes in (and I'd rather put money towards rebuilding my plastic maggot). I'll have a look at both of those as options though, thank you.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Tue 21 Feb 2017, 3:40 pm

Sure take a chance with  20-25 pound one then...louis
burning_rubber
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by burning_rubber on Tue 21 Feb 2017, 4:04 pm

what about this  link
louis_sutton
the 800
the 800

Post by louis_sutton on Tue 21 Feb 2017, 4:47 pm

I'd be an outfit to ignore recommendations and experience just because I'm trying to be tight. Thank you, I shall explore all of those options!
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Tue 21 Feb 2017, 5:46 pm

@burning_rubber wrote:what about this  link
The [size=32] [/size] Shindengen SH775 mentioned in this link is a modern series type and can be bought from any Polaris dealer for about £70. One of those is the best way to keep the stator from overheating and failing.
You'd have to improvise connectors for the wires, though that isn't too difficult.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 21 Feb 2017, 8:10 pm

This is my post on the 400 forum which explains the upgrade. I did have it on this forum but all my images broke on my thread.  If you don't want the fancy connectors you can just use regular spade connectors and just put shrink wrap over the top.

http://400greybike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=52701&sid=ac0d02a3845471af827629fad218c9d9
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Wed 22 Feb 2017, 7:06 am

James, I think that you'll find that a "mosfet" reg/rec is still a shunt type regulator.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 22 Feb 2017, 8:08 am

Yeah it's just easier to explain to others when it's like that. Most people won't care about electronics enough to care, those who have an interest will already know. 

I used this thread amongst others to learn about it. 
http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/104504-charging-system-diagnostics-rectifier-regulator-upgrade.html

http://www.cb500club.net/t3130-charging-battery
louis_sutton
the 800
the 800

Post by louis_sutton on Thu 23 Feb 2017, 2:11 pm

Thanks all - not been ignoring this, got sidetracked at work.  I've got a cheap fleabay special to see whether that works, and am in the meantime deciding what to do.  I've got a voltage indicator on the way (finally found the other, incredibly informative thread) and am deciding between the SH775/847 and the FH020AA, how to do the connectors, new mounting bracket etc etc.  Great stuff.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 23 Feb 2017, 2:23 pm

FH ones are much more energy efficient so the bike will charge much easier at lower revs. 

SH ones are the same as the one you've currently got connected only it's just got bigger cooling fins.

Both of the reg/recs you've picked out use Furukawa QLW 250 connectors. 

I advice that you pick somewhere to mount the reg/rec first. In the end I cut away the inside of the nearside rad panel and mounted it there. 
louis_sutton
the 800
the 800

Post by louis_sutton on Thu 23 Feb 2017, 3:27 pm

Ah useful detail, thanks. The sh connectors differ to standard ones in the same way the fh connectors do, so I didn't realise (still have more reading to do, but trees falling over have meant I need to figure out how to get to work tomorrow). 

That reg looks surprisingly big in that photo, but mine's an s version so I might see where I can hide it behind the fairing if it won't fit behind the side panel!
Boodysaspie
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Boodysaspie on Fri 24 Feb 2017, 8:32 pm

Those of you who know about these things will laugh at me, but ...

Why not move the reg/rec to somewhere near the horn, where mother nature will provide all the cooling it needs (or at least more cooling than it gets behind a sidepanel)?
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 25 Feb 2017, 8:41 am

@Boodysaspie wrote:Those of you who know about these things will laugh at me, but ...

Why not move the reg/rec to somewhere near the horn, where mother nature will provide all the cooling it needs (or at least more cooling than it gets behind a sidepanel)?

It's a very good thought, especially because Triumph do it on their bonevilles. The only issue would be the cabling to get it there and that there isn't any decent mounting points unless you making a custom mounting bracket.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sat 25 Feb 2017, 9:41 am

Thats a great idea..i think i saw regulator rectifier between forks on gn 250
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 02 Mar 2017, 11:40 am

@Boodysaspie wrote:Those of you who know about these things will laugh at me, but ...

There's no reason not to do that - it's only no there because Honda find it easier/cheaper to put it under the side panel mounted on the frame (which acts as a heat sink). I would say if you were going to do this make a decent thickness bracket to attach to the back of the regulator - it is also meant to loose heat from the back! Also, ensure you use good thickness cables to extend the loom to reduce the voltage drop.
Boodysaspie
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Boodysaspie on Thu 02 Mar 2017, 11:55 am

Should I worry about weatherproofing? I assume the reg/rec itself is sealed against water/salt, but what about the plug and wiring? Perhaps I could incorporate a shield into the bracket?
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 02 Mar 2017, 12:02 pm

@Boodysaspie wrote:Should I worry about weatherproofing? I assume the reg/rec itself is sealed against water/salt, but what about the plug and wiring? Perhaps I could incorporate a shield into the bracket?

Yes, the connection is the vulnerable part - a shield that stopped the direct water hitting the connection would be sensible. You should also mount it so that the connection points downwards (so the water/grot drains out!). Might also be worth a gob of dilectric grease...

Also, if it is at the front of the bike, you can keep an eye on the connections and give them a clean if they go green...
Boodysaspie
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Boodysaspie on Thu 02 Mar 2017, 12:28 pm

That makes sense. I was thinking of mounting it fin-vertical, so that insulating crud didn't build up, but I'll mount it at 45 degrees to give both the fins and the plug a chance to drain.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 17 Jul 2018, 5:02 am