Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Rear brake shoe cam lubrication?

skyerae
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Rear brake shoe cam lubrication?

Post by skyerae on Sun 19 Feb 2017, 4:39 pm

I have now (again) taken off the rear brake as the rear brake lever had seized as well as the shoe assembly. Sorted the brake lever by disassembling it, greasing it up and reassembling and back on the bike. Removed rear wheel and found the cam that actuates the shoes has seized - this is the second time this has happened. What do the other members use to lubricate this cam, it is inside the bush that this has occurred? Tried to clean the felt seal (what were Honda thinking????!!!) and that broke while I was doing this. Got the cam out and it is drier than dry. I wash the bike fairly regularly (no power washer) as we have salt quite early on in the autumn and into late spring this being deepest darkest Scotland apparently.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Re: Rear brake shoe cam lubrication?

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 02 Mar 2017, 11:25 am

You need to lubricate it with something that won't melt and ruin your rear brake.

To this end, you can use a *thin* layer of copper-slip or, if you prefer, some graphite (yes, from a pencil) or a *thin* layer of graphite-laden grease.  This will fix the lubrication issue and should stop it from going wrong for a while.  In my experience of drum brakes (not on the CB500), once you have cleaned it up and lubricated appropriately, it won't need doing for a year or two.

The cam is meant to be a good fit in the brake plate thingy - to keep the grot out when sealed with a *thin* layer of grease - if yours has corroded such that it is no-longer a good fit that might explain why it is failing/sticking repeatedly.

That felt-washer is actually a high-temperature dust seal Smile (http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_motorcycle_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=13MY5R41&block_02=F__1100&block_03=1542&block_04=xx&block_05=hmc).  You should buy a new one - it does do something useful, just not as useful as you would like Smile
skyerae
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by skyerae on Thu 02 Mar 2017, 2:07 pm

I used a little molybdenum disulphide grease but this seems to have "evaporated" (?!) Have ordered two dust seals (felt washers) from Fowlers and have noted that the Haynes misinformation manual says that this needs to have oil sparingly applied to it. There is what looks like a machined groove spiraling down the round section of the cam - where it sits in the bush. Is this to let lubrication work it's way through but from where? Have copper slip so will use that and see what happens, once I receive the felt washers and reassemble the bike. Then the really fun job of sorting out the front caliper which is binding (replace the caliper seals) and carrying out an oil change. Then check the valve clearances and then lastly balance the carburettors.
Vardypeeps
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by Vardypeeps on Mon 06 Mar 2017, 1:22 pm

I had the same issue, cleaned and greased and it was back within a week.
Cleaned and used copper slip instead and it's fine.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 20 Sep 2017, 3:43 pm