Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Cracked front disc

Brillpaul
Squiddy
Squiddy

Cracked front disc

Post by Brillpaul on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 4:53 pm

I had new fork seals fitted and new front pads. Not many miles down the road I heard a rubbing sound every time the wheel turned. I checked it out when I got home to discover the front disc had cracked straight through. Has anyone had this happen or know of any reason why it happens?

Last edited by Brillpaul on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
Jameshambleton

Re: Cracked front disc

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 5:46 pm

I had this issue with the rear and it turned out that the metal clip that the pads sit in had disappeared so the pads didn't press as they should and it cracked 3 rear discs until I found it.
Brillpaul
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Brillpaul on Sun 19 Feb 2017, 7:42 pm

Thanks James. I think the Brembo is all there so will check the thickness of the disc. Plan to ride to garage that can replace it and new pads for around £60.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 19 Feb 2017, 7:57 pm

@Brillpaul wrote:Thanks James. I think the Brembo is all there so will check the thickness of the disc. Plan to ride to garage that can replace it and new pads for around £60.

New disc, pads and labour for £60? You can't even get a decent new disc for that money.. Say the pads are £20 (EBC HH territory), that leaves £40, the cheapest (non branded) new disc from china is £36 so I doubt they'll be charging £4 an hour labour. 

Are you going to somewhere reputable as that seems awfully dodgy to me.
Brillpaul
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Brillpaul on Sun 19 Feb 2017, 9:45 pm

Sorry. Labour not included. Reputable dealer and he will guarantee the quality of the used disc.
Brillpaul
Squiddy
Squiddy

Sorted

Post by Brillpaul on Mon 27 Feb 2017, 7:45 pm

M
@Jameshambleton wrote:

@Brillpaul wrote:Thanks James. I think the Brembo is all there so will check the thickness of the disc. Plan to ride to garage that can replace it and new pads for around £60.

New disc, pads and labour for £60? You can't even get a decent new disc for that money.. Say the pads are £20 (EBC HH territory), that leaves £40, the cheapest (non branded) new disc from china is £36 so I doubt they'll be charging £4 an hour labour. 

Are you going to somewhere reputable as that seems awfully dodgy to me.

Sorted today for £90. Good secondhand disc, pads were OK and £40 labour included. Always great to get back on the road.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 27 Feb 2017, 9:01 pm

Cracking news or not hopefully. Glad to hear you're back on the road!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 7:37 am