Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Tyre size

Jameshambleton

Tyre size

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 15 Feb 2017, 5:54 pm

I've been doing some internetting this evening... 
The rear wheel is a J 17xMT3.5 DOT and the typical sizes for this are 130 and (oversize) 140. On this chart on the MAXXIS website it seems to say that this is a normal size for a 140 tyre and that you could fit a 150 size tyre to a MT3.5 rim  scratch

stormbringer

Re: Tyre size

Post by stormbringer on Wed 15 Feb 2017, 6:21 pm

Interesting. This would almost match up with the text on our own forum. I note here that a choice of 140/70 is present - probably to maintain circumference. Going wider while maintaining ratio increases circumference...

To counter the discussion on wider tires, I read yesterday night (on the same internet as you are using) that widening the tyre will eventually result in a reduction of contact patch area - leading to less grip etc. I didn't quite figure out why that was so.

One thing I can relate to is that a wider tyre will - given the same shape - cause tyre patch to travel farther away from bike axis at given lean angle, in turn creating a different handling. Not sure about the perceived change though...

But comparing a squared-off tyre to a new one of the same make tells me a change in shape will be very noticeable!

For equal dimensions, different makes will most likely differ in shape, creating said perceived difference in handling. N'est ce pas?
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Wed 15 Feb 2017, 6:25 pm

I'm intrigued  that almost all superbikes on the market, irrespective of performance capability, use a 120/70X17 front tyre.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Wed 15 Feb 2017, 6:36 pm

@stormbringer wrote:Interesting. This would almost match up with the text on our own forum. I note here that a choice of 140/70 is present - probably to maintain circumference. Going wider while maintaining ratio increases circumference...

To counter the discussion on wider tires, I read yesterday night (on the same internet as you are using) that widening the tyre will eventually result in a reduction of contact patch area - leading to less grip etc. I didn't quite figure out why that was so.

One thing I can relate to is that a wider tyre will - given the same shape - cause tyre patch to travel farther away from bike axis at given lean angle, in turn creating a different handling. Not sure about the perceived change though...

But comparing a squared-off tyre to a new one of the same make tells me a change in shape will be very noticeable!

For equal dimensions, different makes will most likely differ in shape, creating said perceived difference in handling. N'est ce pas?

The narrow rim will have the effect of squeezing the inner or bead edges of the wider tyre closer together and creating a smaller cross section radius than the tyre was originally designed to have. This results in less usable tyre than you would be used to as you would be grounding everything before reaching the limit of the treaded area.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 22 Aug 2017, 1:56 pm