Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

50k km overhaul and winter upgrades

Jameshambleton

Re: 50k km overhaul and winter upgrades

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 14 Apr 2017, 8:56 pm

@hh_12345 wrote:

@Melitos wrote:
To drive the new upper bushing in, I used old bushings + oil sealing where I had cut center out as spacers. I then used a piece of wood where I had drilled hole to push down the bushing. 

Drilling a  hole in piece of wood is great idea for driving the bushing in. To make installing mine easier I tied a copper wire around the bushing.

That's one way of doing it I suppose, I just used my seal driver.
Melitos
Godly
Godly

Post by Melitos on Sun 16 Apr 2017, 2:18 pm

@ZekeVal wrote:Those fork legs look like new! It's a job I'm planning on doing very soon (waiting for the teflon bushings to arrive). It will be my first big overhaul, hope I won't mess anything ;p

Hi

You'll find plenty of advice from this site to the procedures. Prepare with lots of tissue and rags, it's a smelly and messy job.

@hh_12345:
I found the idea of using piece of wood with hole from here, so not my original design. Anyway, I found it very good tool. No need for hammering, you can push slowly and with precision. Also the wood will not scratch the chroming.

@eternally_troubled:
I will report how they behave on the road. I used 10W oil as both Honda and Wirth suggests to use that. 

BR,
Antti
Melitos
Godly
Godly

Post by Melitos on Tue 25 Apr 2017, 6:47 pm

IT'S ALIVE! Laughing cheers Very Happy

Last weekend I managed to fit steering bearing and assemble the front end.

I warmed the bike up riding about 3 miles, then changed oil + filter and synced carbs, re-fitted tank and side panels. Then I went for a ride again but noticed soon that steering bearing had settled and I had to turn back and re-adjust to remove the slack.

First impressions:
+ Sound of Fuel exhaust
+ Carb rebuild, larger jets + syncing took away the intermittent acceleration at 6k rpm full throttle so I am very happy.
+ Front end does not feel as loose and vague as before.
- New biking boots want to occupy same space as gear lever, I have to check if moving the lever on shaft splines fixes this issue.

Unfortunately I am on business trip so no possibility to ride the bike until Friday.

BR,
Antti
Melitos
Godly
Godly

Post by Melitos on Sun 07 May 2017, 10:51 am

Hi,

I have racked about 200 miles now. I feel there is some extra noise from rear when going over potholes. I am thinking it might well be the center stand that lifts off from the resting pad and returns with some noise. I need to investigate this a bit more.

We have no MOT/annual inspection for bikes in Finland, but according to law you need to have non-original exhaust approved for road use at car MOT station. Most of bikers don't bother to have exhaust accepted, but I thought why not, so i did. Main motivation is to not give my insurance company an excuse to not cover damage in case of accident due to riding a modified and non street-approved vehicle. Sound level was measured and accepted with baffle on by a large margin. Exhaust details were written on the bike registration papers and that was all. Without baffle the Fuel can was too loud for MOT station sound level meter, my ears and my neighbourhood relations so I don't think I will be riding without the baffle.

BR,
Antti
Melitos
Godly
Godly

Post by Melitos on Mon 08 May 2017, 7:33 pm

Got tired of looking at the gauge needles through dirty glass.

eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 10 May 2017, 10:16 pm

@Melitos wrote:Got tired of looking at the gauge needles through dirty glass.

I'm guessing you're cleaning the inside of the glass/plastic?

You've got to be really careful when putting them back together not to get any dust inside..... it's really annoying to only find it in there after screwing it all back together!

The black backing on my rev counter is going all blotchy from spending too long in the sun at some point in its previous life - I'm sometimes tempted to take it apart and try and fix it but I fear I may only make it worse, so keep not bothering.
Melitos
Godly
Godly

Post by Melitos on Fri 12 May 2017, 7:57 pm

Well it turned out nice after a good scrubbing. Now at least I can't blame my gauges if I get a speeding ticket  Rolling Eyes

If only the weather would also turn out nice some day. Past week has been bitterly cold, even today we got some snowflakes...

BR,
Antti
Melitos
Godly
Godly

Post by Melitos on Mon 05 Jun 2017, 9:09 pm

Hi

The bike has been running nicely, despite the challenging weather:
https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/finland_endures_coldest_may_in_nearly_half_a_century/9643712

Front end rebuild and new shocks + new Sport Demon rear tyre made the bike feel less vague and increased my confidence on the bike. Power delivery with re-jetted carbs feels smooth. I should probably check the plugs to see how they look like, although i suspect the air fuel ratio can't be too far off...

BR,
Antti
Melitos
Godly
Godly

Post by Melitos on Fri 04 Aug 2017, 9:51 pm

Hi again,

Had some challenges with misfiring around 5k rpm at full throttle. I thought it was ignition related and fitted new HT leads and NGK SD05F caps with no help. Anyway this got me thinking that I might go for the FireBlade COP upgrade next winter.

Anyway I booked a time to local dyno shop to have air fuel ratio measured under load. Seems that the trick for larger main jet and needle shimming does not cure lean mixture at lower revs and part load. I fitted DynoJet kit and this cured the misfiring.

On the dyno:

The result, note the dip around 5krpm. I ran unbaffled on the dyno because the air fuel ratio measurement would have blocked most of the exhaust outlet of baffled Fuel pipe. This running without baffle might have made the part load / low-mid-range lean condition even more notable than on the road with baffle.

Dynojet installation

Now the bike seems to run OK. I might still play with needle position.

BR,
Antti
Melitos
Godly
Godly

Post by Melitos on Fri 04 Aug 2017, 9:58 pm

@geewhizz wrote:i'm very interested to hear how you get on with your carb jet upgrade when you get the bike back on the road. please keep us posted.

@geewhizz

Please read the post above. Carb jet upgrade did not work out like a charm and I had to go the DynoJet kit way.

BR,
Antti

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 10:50 pm