Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

tyre covers

Crash- Elmit
Two Tone
Two Tone

tyre covers

Post by Crash- Elmit on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 12:04 pm

As it says in the title, I want to respray my wheels as they are getting quite tatty, but I do not want the hassle of getting the tyres off. is there anything on the market that will wrap around the rubber to mask it off, some kind of gaitor, maybe, rather than faffing about with masking tape?
Fair Weather Rider
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Re: tyre covers

Post by Fair Weather Rider on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 12:09 pm

I've done wheels in the past and have used masking tape, to avoid taking tyres off.
It's a fiddle, but what else are you going to do till spring?
Crash- Elmit
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by Crash- Elmit on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 12:24 pm

you  are probably right. I found something on a well known auction site  but at £33  it aint worth it
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 10:27 pm

There might be a halfway house:  if you let the tyres down and 'pop' the bead off on one side so the edge of the tyre comes away from the inside of the rim you can probably secure an old sheet (or similar cheap masking material) between the tyre and the wheel so that he tyre is covered but the rim is not.  Do the spraying, turn it over and do the same thing.

Of course you then have to get the bead seated again, which is easy if you have a compressor, less easy without.

TBH I've seen the results of just masking off the tyre and it is possible to make it look good, but you have to spend a while doing it to get it right.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 10:48 pm

I've seen someone who I got a bike off use a pack of playing cards to cover the sidewall when he was respraying a wheel
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 11:11 pm

Cut a curve in a sheet of thin stiff card or even aluminium to match the rim and manually hold it in place against the tyre as a mask while spraying a section at a time.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 28 Jun 2017, 6:26 am