Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Fuel end can swivelling around

trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Fuel end can swivelling around

Post by trevor machine on Mon 06 Feb 2017, 11:01 am

You owners with an after-market silencer - and particularly of the Fuel brand variety - do you ever notice it's swivelled around somewhat? Usually clockwise if viewed from the rear of the bike, in my experience.

What happens is, if it gets anywhere near to approaching a shift of 45 degrees, and usually a bit less, you'll have found that the bracket with the main-stand butt on it has moved out of place, and - in turn - that the stand now returns at a higher angle than it should. This can then lead to the foot of the stand fouling the chain.

It's not difficult to realign the silencer and therefore also the bracket with the rubber stop on it that keeps the main-stand in its upward position - simply loosen all three fasteners, and get the relevant parts in place. Be careful tightening everything up, however - because the parts can quite easily move. So tighten each fastener to just beyond finger tight, then e.g. half a turn, half a turn, half a turn - until there's sufficient torque to prevent slippage. Next you can just do it as tightly as you dare on each of the three fasteners.

My problem is simply that, even with a goodly amount of tightening up, the link pipe and can seem to loosen up, leading to some undue swivelling. And I never like to go too mad on bike fasteners, because it can be easy to damage threads and so forth.

Anyone else have this - recurrent - problem? If so, what have you tried?
Jameshambleton

Re: Fuel end can swivelling around

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 06 Feb 2017, 11:17 am

I thought I was going mad! My Beowulf has been doing this for a while. 
So much so that the footpeg hanger has dented the top and the rear shock has dented it too. Really need to get a rivet gun and pop open my exhaust to push them out.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Mon 06 Feb 2017, 11:21 am

My concern is that the link pipe brackets - which are not too dissimilar to jubilee type clips - seem to want a hell of a lot of tightening, and I'm a bit nervous about just how much torqueing up to give them. They seem to turn and turn. It's a bit nerve-racking.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 06 Feb 2017, 11:31 am

jubilee clips are terrible and easily strip. You ideally need to use T-Bolt Hose Clamps and that will stop your issue, I've needed to get some myself for a while but I've never remembered to order some.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Mon 06 Feb 2017, 12:35 pm

I stress the "type" in "jubliee type clips" cos I'm pretty sure they're not actually them. But honestly - they seem to want a hell of a lot of tightening, whatever they are. Scary!
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Mon 06 Feb 2017, 5:56 pm

Oval silencers cure the urge to rotate Very Happy
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Mon 06 Feb 2017, 6:14 pm

@ANDYC wrote:Oval silencers cure the urge to rotate Very Happy

damn...

why didn't I suss that out before hitting "buy" Crying or Very sad
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Mon 06 Feb 2017, 6:54 pm

im glad my delkevic is oval then Smile
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Mon 06 Feb 2017, 7:49 pm

In mitigation, I think the problem is with the (round) link pipe more than the actual can itself.
Crash- Elmit
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by Crash- Elmit on Mon 06 Feb 2017, 8:12 pm

just fitted my new exhaust for bikes MOT. some scrote had knocked bike over on the kerb outside my house and bust the silencer off  the bolts that hold rear bracket in place so exhaust leaked. also discovered the rear suspension hits the end can while riding, and it appears the old one did the same. not sure why, but will have to bend the swing-arm bracket away from swing arm to stop it
biglee
Rossi
Rossi

Post by biglee on Mon 06 Feb 2017, 10:29 pm

U bolts are really good in many sizes and thickness
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 2:00 am

huh - good idea, that. ; - )
Fair Weather Rider
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by Fair Weather Rider on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 9:46 am

Why not drill a small hole through where the pipe connects and put a self tapper through, that will stop it twisting, you can put underneath so it cant be seen.

Happy day
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 10:26 am

Yeah, my fuel can does this - I think most aftermarket cans can have this effect. There are certainly better exhaust clips than jubilee clips.
The_Wasp
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by The_Wasp on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 8:57 pm

Yeah my fuel end can does this, it needs readjusting and tightening every so often. I think i'll do as suggested above and put a small self-tapping screw trough the link pipe and header slip joint to stop it rotating Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 27 Jun 2017, 4:58 am