Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Vinyl Wrap

spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Vinyl Wrap

Post by spanner monkey on Thu 02 Feb 2017, 2:52 pm

Love it or hate it ?. 

I'm all for originality, but I have a tiny dink to remove from my tank, I can't remember from whence it came, pull or fill, haven't decided, and three of the side panels ( radiator and side covers ) both sides to repair/replace. Quite like the idea of a vinyl wrap to jazz it up a bit and have seen some done on YouTube by motovloggers which look quite good, quite durable , so bought some off eBay in a matt green. Going to do it when the weather warms up a bit, and I have longer evenings to play with it all. Am I going to get ostracised on here
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Re: Vinyl Wrap

Post by ANDYC on Thu 02 Feb 2017, 3:28 pm

I hope not because I plan to wrap my track bike. More durable and much less prepping than painting. As well as being much cheaper.
spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Thu 02 Feb 2017, 4:56 pm

I'd like to see the pics of that.  I'll upload a YouTube vid when mines done anyway... Cost and ease was my thoughts too.
Llewelyn1965
the 900
the 900

Post by Llewelyn1965 on Thu 02 Feb 2017, 11:33 pm

spanner monkey wrote:Love it or hate it ?. 

I'm all for originality, but I have a tiny dink to remove from my tank, I can't remember from whence it came, pull or fill, haven't decided, and three of the side panels ( radiator and side covers ) both sides to repair/replace. Quite like the idea of a vinyl wrap to jazz it up a bit and have seen some done on YouTube by motovloggers which look quite good, quite durable , so bought some off eBay in a matt green. Going to do it when the weather warms up a bit, and I have longer evenings to play with it all. Am I going to get ostracised on here

It would be a sad day on the forum if you did get ostracised!! We are a bike family. Some people will like things  that are done and others will not, but we all love the cb500, so we should all tolerate individual tastes/choices. Let us know how the wrapping goes with some pics!!!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 10:06 am

Vinyl wrap is great - especially if you want the option to go back Smile

It isn't possible for it to last as long as a 'proper' paint job but it should last 2 years at least - probably longer if you don't use the bike every day/keep it outside.

I'm pretty sure that there is a knack to applying it - part of me thinks that the process is likely to work when it is a little warmer outside so at this time of year some kind of heating might be a plan.

On here we think that anyone riding a CB500 (however modified) is great, so what you do to it is up to you, as long as you post some pictures for us to see Smile

Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 1:20 pm

There are lots of videos on youtube showing wrapping technique. I particularly liked the ones by a Canadian professional who shows how, and explains all the materials and tools as well.
Grarea
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by Grarea on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 7:39 pm

Don't fancy it myself but am pretty interested to see how it goes.
I second the doing it in the summer as well.
I reckon it will be more pliable to apply.

How does it come? Is it shaped or just comes as a roll?
I can imagine the tank being difficult.
It will need a patient day and some cups of tea i reckon.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 9:06 pm

Grarea wrote:
I second the doing it in the summer as well.
I reckon it will be more pliable to apply.
How does it come? Is it shaped or just comes as a roll
Installers use hot air guns to ease into shape. It comes on a roll, it's not standard adhesive vinyl but is made for the wrapping trade. The adhesive only sticks when positive pressure is applied to allow for manipulating into shape.
spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 10:11 pm

I
eternally_troubled wrote:Vinyl wrap is great - especially if you want the option to go back Smile

It isn't possible for it to last as long as a 'proper' paint job but it should last 2 years at least - probably longer if you don't use the bike every day/keep it outside.

I'm pretty sure that there is a knack to applying it - part of me thinks that the process is likely to work when it is a little warmer outside so at this time of year some kind of heating might be a plan.

On here we think that anyone riding a CB500 (however modified) is great, so what you do to it is up to you, as long as you post some pictures for us to see Smile

Well I will be sure to make a video doing it anyway. One of my subscription channels -  andymancam - did it On his Kawasaki versys and I thought it was an amazing presentation, and made it look, although I suspect it wasn't - simple. My 3 bikes are all garaged fortunately, and the hairdryer method will be the weapon of choice. Only issue is I have a small, 10 pence sized dent to pull in the tank no cracks to the paint so will try and pull rather than fill first. I do prefer originality though, but I think this is one of those acceptable sensitive mods...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 18 Oct 2017, 5:46 pm