Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Swing arm bearing

liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Swing arm bearing

Post by liverpool_f_ on Mon 30 Jan 2017, 1:02 pm

Hi Gents,

My swing arm look pretty rusty so I was going to remove it and paint it. I then figured so long as I was removing it, I might as well swap out the bearings as the swing arm hasn't had any servicing done in my ownership (and maybe ever.) Can anyone tell me from the part in the diagram which of these bearing are the ones you could reasonably expect to replace.

The prices are pretty hefty;

https://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_motorcycle_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=13MY52I1&block_02=F__2300&block_03=1589&block_04=xx&block_05=hmc

On a related note, has anyone had problems removing the swing arm pivot bolt? I imagine it should be straight forward but if anyone has first hand experience of how stubborn they are that would be much appreciated.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Re: Swing arm bearing

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 30 Jan 2017, 1:19 pm

Well...

You *can* replace both number 26, number 18 and number 7.

Part 26 (from above) is a 'normal' 6202 bearing (i.e. it's 'just' a ball bearing), so if go to a shop that sells bearings you will be able to buy one of them for less than the 9 quid that Honda want - best to take the old one(s) for comparison purposes.

Part 18 is a needle bearing which *may* be available from somewhere else but it might be worth checking first (the dimensions are in the lings product description, I think), Part 7 is a metal sleeve (honda call it a collar) - this may also be available.

It's also worth checking wemoto and other places - they will probably be cheaper than Honda.

Haynes has details of how to do it.

When I took my swingarm off to cure the rust (by replacing the swingarm!) I considered replacing the bearings in the 'new' swingarm I was putting on but I gave them a good clean and greased everything up and it all felt fine, so I didn't bother. I reckon it's not worth doing unless you can feel play when trying to move the swingarm from side to side.

I didn't have any problems getting my swingarm off, other than the amount of caked-on grot that it was covered in (my fault!). The swingarm nut/bolt is done up pretty tight so you might want a breaker-bar or similar high-torque mechanism to get it to shift initially.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Mon 30 Jan 2017, 3:15 pm

I've replaced the bearings and it was almost on a par with headstock bearing replacement - PITA.

If they dont feel worn i wouldnt give yourself the aggrovation - its part 18 that caused my problem, that needle bearing shell just didnt want to come out.

Dan
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 30 Jan 2017, 4:42 pm

Only remove the bearings if you're getting them powder coated, if you're just getting it resprayed then just mask them off.

The bolt however it fairly east to remove, just make sure you go for the nut and not the actual spindle like what I did.
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Mon 30 Jan 2017, 6:16 pm

I am going to Hammerite the swing arm as my bike could best be described as "not a show bike." Just don't want the surface rust turning into proper rust and requiring replacement of the arm. I might consider myself warned and remove the swing arm to paint it but leave the bearings for now. There is no side to side movement as far as I can feel, but the bike is not 100% stable. It's hard to tell if that just because it's a fairly light bike and many parts are slightly worn or if it is down to a single culprit.

If the bearings are not a "while I am at it" type job then I will skip them and stick to new chain, sprockets and a quick paint for this weekends tinkering.

Cheers gents
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Mon 30 Jan 2017, 6:19 pm

btw if you are removing the swing arm it could be a good time to change the chain slider/rubbing strip.
l.t.racing
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by l.t.racing on Mon 30 Jan 2017, 7:11 pm

Got a brand new bearing and seal kit for sale if you need it, just fitted same brand to my race bike and fitted spot on.  Come with 2 seals, 2 bearings, 1 niddle roller bearing, and a new bush for that bearing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 21 Sep 2017, 6:10 am