Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Newbie, budding racer

Mr bounce
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Newbie, budding racer

Post by Mr bounce on Sat 21 Jan 2017, 10:39 pm

Hi guys I'm just out to pick some brains for advice. I've recently bought a cb500 to convert to race this year. Now I've bought a 94 drum model. I know this model uses nissin brakes, so my question is do the brembo items on the disc model offer better stopping power or is there nothing to choose between the two? I don't use the rear brake when racing so this is why I opted to buy the drum model one when it came up cheap. Are there any other differences between disc and drum models they may have changed I wouldn't have known about, thanks. Matt
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Re: Newbie, budding racer

Post by Beresford on Sun 22 Jan 2017, 1:47 am

I don't think that there is any performance difference with the front brake between Nissin and Brembo. The major consideration is that Nissin overhaul kits are far cheaper (1/2 the price ?) than the Brembo ones.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sun 22 Jan 2017, 7:40 am

I have two 500s - one with Nissin, one Brembo. The latter also has braided lines. It's also clearly the stronger brake, and/but is in very good order. The Nissin could probably stand a little bit of TLC, but is in no sense neglected. It's quite simply not as powerful.

However, and though this won't be of any use to you for the purposes of racing, I very seldom brake hard because a bit of decent forward planning plus also some useful engine braking courtesy of the twin configuration mean that the Nissin feels somewhat better than adequate. So I usually don't find myself wishing I had a Brembo on the older bike (the older one being the bike I prefer to ride, for reasons that remain unclear to me - i.e. although the younger bike feels tauter and less spongy, the older 500 is somehow comfier, and in some obscure way seems to have a bit more character).

Of course, if I needed to stop quickly, the Brembo would be the brake to have. The Nissin might have a bit more feel, but it can't halt the bike's weight like the Brembo. I'd say the Brembo is at least 10% more efficient - maybe even 20%.

Interestingly though - and again this won't be relevant to your track-focused riding - the rear drum is a MUCH better brake than the rear Brembo disc version. Imo it's superior in every sense - it has way more feel, can lock the wheel quite easily, but yet is also more than capable of a graduated "three phase" sort of application. Which is far more than can be said for the rear disc variation. I've had four bikes with rear drum brakes now - including the overly heavy w650 - and at the risk of sounding a bit antediluvian, I think they're far better than disc brakes. I suppose they are a bit heavier, though.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 22 Jan 2017, 8:21 am

The nissin calipers are more desirable with a brembo m/c, the brembo calipers are known to have issues with the pistons when the get very hot due to what the piston is made out of. This causes them to stick more, where as the nissin ones don't. Also don't forget to remove the dust seals too.
Mr bounce
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Mr bounce on Sun 22 Jan 2017, 11:55 am

Thanks for the replies I'm going to stick to the nissin's. Give them a rebuild and run a galfer wavey disc with SBS dual carbon pads should do the trick i hope
Fair Weather Rider
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Fair Weather Rider on Sun 22 Jan 2017, 7:48 pm

Where do you race Mr Bounce? be nice to come and have a look sometime.
Mr bounce
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Mr bounce on Sun 22 Jan 2017, 8:43 pm

I'm going to be racing with emra, they race at Mallory Park, Leicester. I hope to do a couple of thundrsport GB rounds depending on finances! I won there rookie and sstk1000 championships in 2015 then had a year out due to the birth of my daughter. So I'm back racing but on a budget hence the cb but really looking forward to it and going for more success. Not sure if Mallory is easy for you to get to but by all means pop along. Matt
Tricky.
the 900
the 900

Post by Tricky. on Sun 22 Jan 2017, 10:04 pm

i run nissin caliper and brembo m/c. less travel on the lever which is more desirable under race conditions. the brembo caliper has a tendency to bind when very hot, regardless of how well they are maintained.
Mr bounce
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Mr bounce on Sun 22 Jan 2017, 10:09 pm

Now I was going to rebuild the nissin master cylinder with a repair kit. Is it worth me just buying a brembo m/c and repair kit for that and keep the nissin as a spare?
Tricky.
the 900
the 900

Post by Tricky. on Mon 23 Jan 2017, 9:23 pm

Mr bounce wrote:Now I was going to rebuild the nissin master cylinder with a repair kit. Is it worth me just buying a brembo m/c and repair kit for that and keep the nissin as a spare?

the choice is yours. you will get a very different feel mix n matching the nissin/brembo caliper/master cylinders, no one set-up is right for everyone. i would suggest having a complete set-up on all four and see what is best for you. the ones that youre not most happy with keep in your spares box for when you crash.
Vardypeeps
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by Vardypeeps on Tue 24 Jan 2017, 11:40 am

Honestly never had an issue with the Nissin caliper, braided line and standard Honda pads though I may not have got them hot enough to compair to a race situation I can use one-two finger braking.

I suppose the drum version may have additional gyroscopic weight on the wheels but not that much more?
Mr bounce
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Mr bounce on Tue 24 Jan 2017, 10:29 pm

Thanks lads going to run what I've got for now but just give it the once over
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 25 Jan 2017, 2:23 pm

Mr bounce wrote:Thanks lads going to run what I've got for now but just give it the once over

Not a bad idea. It will be good enough for a start. You can always buy the 'other' option(s) later if required.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 24 Oct 2017, 1:17 am