Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Three reasons to ride safe.

spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Re: Three reasons to ride safe.

Post by spanner monkey on Fri 27 Jan 2017, 1:56 pm

Yeah I think the MOT tester guy said it was the next size up. Oh well, pick her back up tomorrow, all MOTD no advisories, and hopefully the new tyre will have sorted the front wheel shake. Head and steering bearings all done of course. The tyre was well past its use by date, with loads of tread still. I've had the bike nearly 5 years and not changed it and done over 11k. Amazing life for a tyre. But had to go.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Fri 27 Jan 2017, 2:33 pm

Wow that IS a lot of miles. What did you say it was? I can't seem to wear my avon ditch finders out.
spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Fri 27 Jan 2017, 4:25 pm

It was a BT45
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Fri 27 Jan 2017, 6:42 pm

Ive about 10k on my bt45's from start there was cracks in crown of  front tyre, rear squared off real quick... there good grippy tyres... there loads of tread in both tyres. Could do with replacing them.. not sure if i buy more bt45's for cb..
spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Fri 27 Jan 2017, 8:02 pm

Well in the end I matched the front to the rear which I put on a few months ago and, so avons front and rear now. I know they aren't the most popular on here but I'm not racing it.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 30 Jan 2017, 12:42 pm

spanner monkey wrote:Well in the end I matched the front to the rear which I put on a few months ago and, so avons front and rear now. I know they aren't the most popular on here but I'm not racing it.

They're not the worst tyres out there by a long way!
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Mon 30 Jan 2017, 1:54 pm

They're the worst I've ever ridden. I mean, I'm emphatically no veteran. But damn - I just got nothing back from Avons. No feel at all - it was like they never warmed up. Then again I don't ride THAT hard so maybe they actually never did!
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 30 Jan 2017, 6:28 pm

trevor machine wrote:They're the worst I've ever ridden. I mean, I'm emphatically no veteran. But damn - I just got nothing back from Avons. No feel at all - it was like they never warmed up. Then again I don't ride THAT hard so maybe they actually never did!

my bt45's are warm regardless of the weather after 25miles of constant 50mph. That said though my bt45 let go as I was cornering today revs nicely went from 2k upto 5.5k held it rather well I much say  Laughing
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 31 Jan 2017, 8:54 am

trevor machine wrote:They're the worst I've ever ridden. I mean, I'm emphatically no veteran. But damn - I just got nothing back from Avons. No feel at all - it was like they never warmed up. Then again I don't ride THAT hard so maybe they actually never did!

I can't really disagree: I'm not a big fan of them, but they are a lot better than some of the 'no-brand' ones that appeared as the 'cheapest' deals a few years ago.

I was actually trying to find a link to a 'Vee Rubber' or similar type of tyre but had problems, then I found this:

http://www.veerubber.co.uk/road/street-range/tread/37/

It says something that I can't find anywhere selling them (in the this country) anymore!

Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 31 Jan 2017, 10:00 am

eternally_troubled wrote:

I can't really disagree:  I'm not a big fan of them, but they are a lot better than some of the 'no-brand' ones that appeared as the 'cheapest' deals a few years ago.

I was actually trying to find a link to a 'Vee Rubber' or similar type of tyre but had problems, then I found this:

It says something that I can't find anywhere selling them (in the this country) anymore!

Funny how honda does off size wheels these days and restricts what bands you can use. My cb125 had contigo's and well I technically high sided it coming slowly out of a junction. The msx125 (grom) has veerubber fitted as OEM
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 01 Feb 2017, 8:53 am

Jameshambleton wrote:
eternally_troubled wrote:

I can't really disagree:  I'm not a big fan of them, but they are a lot better than some of the 'no-brand' ones that appeared as the 'cheapest' deals a few years ago.

Funny how honda does off size wheels these days and restricts what bands you can use. My cb125 had contigo's and well I technically high sided it coming slowly out of a junction. The msx125 (grom) has veerubber fitted as OEM

The cynical part of me might think that they have a deal with one or other tyre company... Also worth noting that some 125s (even from Honda) come with tyres that may have been 'cost-reduced' :)
spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Wed 01 Feb 2017, 11:00 pm

Well. I'm quite happy with the front and rear avons I've got now. Bearing in mind I started this thread entitled three reasons to ride safe you can guess how I ride - errr miss daisy - No not quite, but I have to say, the bike is spot on now, front wheel wobble eradicated as the old BT45 was past its use by date. Wheel bearings replaced head stock bearings relatively new and adjusted up - all good. I assume riding hard needs better quality rubber. But I've got the front and rear matched so assume that'll give better balance.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 02 Feb 2017, 9:29 am

spanner monkey wrote:

Well. I'm quite happy with the front and rear avons I've got now. Bearing in mind I started this thread entitled three reasons to ride safe you can guess how I ride - errr miss daisy - No not quite, but I have to say, the bike is spot on now, front wheel wobble eradicated as the old BT45 was past its use by date. Wheel bearings replaced head stock bearings relatively new and adjusted up - all good. I assume riding hard needs better quality rubber. But I've got the front and rear matched so assume that'll give better balance.

Well, for their faults, when new, my Avons were significantly better than the very worn Dunlop Arrowmax they replaced, so quite a lot of this has to do with tyre-wear (and how different brands wear differently). Then again, as others have probably said, maybe I don't set the bar too high... ;)
spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Thu 02 Feb 2017, 1:09 pm

Lesson I've learned is tread means nothing after the tyre has aged and it has 'gone off'.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 19 Oct 2017, 6:10 am