Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Three reasons to ride safe.

spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Three reasons to ride safe.

Post by spanner monkey on Thu 19 Jan 2017, 8:43 pm

I have lost track how many times I have fallen off my bike over the years, mis judging the front brake going into a junction, or just plain misreading the road as much as I try and ride like I'm on a test, it's never riding like an idiot that's the cause. As I drove to work this morning a CBF500 screamed past me and it was -4.5c in the south... what a nobber. A few days ago I uploaded a vid to my YouTube channel entitled three reasons to ride safe. I have three bikes but three more important reasons to not act like that nobber.  In the name of putting a face to a name, Of me and my three, here it is but I hope everyone is taking care out there at the moment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pL19mSbrKg    Hope I'm not infringing a forum rule by posting.
sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: Three reasons to ride safe.

Post by sullivj on Thu 19 Jan 2017, 9:50 pm

Great video spanner monkey. 

You have a beautiful family. 

Morgan is a great climber - I remember doing that all the time when I was his age!

Thanks for sharing. Where abouts in the south are you?
spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Fri 20 Jan 2017, 11:48 am

Down in Reading - M4 J12 area. Yes he's so funny when he climbs about. It's hard to believe Sienna is his twin and he's two minutes older. But a good 5 inches shorter. He's little like me, and Sienna is going to be taller than me by next year I recon. They are both 10. Thanks for watching. They are certainly as much fun as my three bikes. And way more challenging.
sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Fri 20 Jan 2017, 12:54 pm

Not too far away from me then (Gatwick).

I'm hoping to arrange a CB500 meet up in the summer, so keep an eye out for that.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 20 Jan 2017, 3:55 pm

@sullivj wrote:Not too far away from me then (Gatwick).

I'm hoping to arrange a CB500 meet up in the summer, so keep an eye out for that.

I'd possibly come down for that (dates depending and) just as long as I got someones garage floor and a pillow to sleep on
spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Fri 20 Jan 2017, 4:36 pm

I will, I'm thinking of a ride to Brecon this summer, and a meet would be good.
sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Fri 20 Jan 2017, 8:26 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:

I'd possibly come down for that (dates depending and) just as long as I got someones garage floor and a pillow to sleep on

I'm sure we can do a little better than that for you James,
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sat 21 Jan 2017, 6:08 pm

Spanner monkey are you guy that put video up on you tube of doing front wheel bearings..and had to use a dremel..i got both wheel bearings this evening but what i used was a  paddle mixer....its used for mixing plaster but i put end that goes into drill  , its long and flexible and loads purchase on to bearing...i hit funnel part on top with hammer..they came out grand....(non sds  plaster mixer paddle)  but when i took off brake caliper to put wheel  back on i put it on top of mudguard &when i put back caliper back on i had next to no pressure ...now going have to bleed caliper now....i also used paddle  plaster mixer to do rear bearings and it worked fine on those
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 22 Jan 2017, 1:48 pm

spannermonkey wrote:
...... what a nobber
They are always out there, always will be. As you were saying it's best to just try and ride your own ride for your own reasons.

@wornsprokets wrote:i also used paddle  plaster mixer to do rear bearings and it worked fine on those

As long as you can get it in and it lets you whack the other bearing out it doesn't matter what you use...

spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Sun 22 Jan 2017, 7:30 pm

@wornsprokets wrote:Spanner monkey are you guy that put video up on you tube of doing front wheel bearings..and had to use a dremel..i got both wheel bearings this evening but what i used was a  paddle mixer....its used for mixing plaster but i put end that goes into drill  , its long and flexible and loads purchase on to bearing...i hit funnel part on top with hammer..they came out grand....(non sds  plaster mixer paddle)  but when i took off brake caliper to put wheel  back on i put it on top of mudguard &when i put back caliper back on i had next to no pressure ...now going have to bleed caliper now....i also used paddle  plaster mixer to do rear bearings and it worked fine on those

Yeah that was me... would love to have seen a demo of your success. I think someone else on this forum said they did manage to get a drift in there, but the spacer tube - which I can't actually see the point of from an engineering perspective - would not shift over far enough on mine. I actually used a power drill and a tungsten carbide bit. I did the same with the steering heads. Having the MOT done Tuesday and hopefully fly through now with no advisories.

What on earth did you do to the calliper to lose pressure taking it off ???
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 22 Jan 2017, 7:49 pm

I dont know... i put caliper on top of mudguard put wheel on then put caliper on and pressure went.... so  bleed caliper ... stil not  much  pressure....i put cable tie  on brake lever to bar. I came back few hours later  took cable tie off and  pressure came back... now its grand....ive wezmoto brake line on it...ive an other thread there what i used  to take out bearings
spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Sun 22 Jan 2017, 8:00 pm

Very weird indeed. You didn't turn the banjo on the caliper in error taking it off, and lose fluid did you ?. Still doesn't explain after bleeding it, still being spongy then fine after leaving it though, unless air in the line just came up and back into master cylinder. I recently bled the front and rear on the CB500 and my CX500 front after a calliper rebuild and on the front on my XV535 and they were pretty solid straight after. Shouldn't be any lag in them setting down. How very odd.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 22 Jan 2017, 8:52 pm

Nah i never went near banjo and brake line is braided line ... maybe i have to rebuild master cylinder and caliper seals...but no leak...
spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Sun 22 Jan 2017, 9:43 pm

Did you use fluid from a new container when you bled them?  Might have had something to do with it.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 23 Jan 2017, 10:30 am

Yep it was sealed new bottle,  i only bleed it couple times.... as it wasnt long ago i changed fluid . Its fine now two fingers lock up wheel .  Did u look at the paddle mixer i use to take out bearings.... it just a cheap paddle ive done all wheel bearings now with.. it...end of it like cut bar no point on it
spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Mon 23 Jan 2017, 7:59 pm

Hi 
@wornsprokets wrote:Yep it was sealed new bottle,  i only bleed it couple times.... as it wasnt long ago i changed fluid . Its fine now two fingers lock up wheel .  Did u look at the paddle mixer i use to take out bearings.... it just a cheap paddle ive done all wheel bearings now with.. it...end of it like cut bar no point on it

Yeah so you used the chuck end as a drift behind the inner race going in from  the other end ? . My issue was I had no lip at all as the spacer between the two bearings was the same diameter and prevented any drift getting any purchase. How did you get the  drift to sit behind the race or have I totally mis understood ?
spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Mon 23 Jan 2017, 8:00 pm

Has yours got the spacer tube in there ?
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 23 Jan 2017, 10:14 pm

U push tube to one side i had  paddle at an angle and it got purchase  only little but no problem  on bearing..then right whack....with hammer...then move to other side and repeat... yep tube was inside... i also did rear bearings same way and no probs. I pushed tube  and there little purchase... these were original bearings...in wheel... i had paddle mixer at angle as far as it go..   i wil be doing head race bearings with paddle mixer...too as there very loose...but i try adjust them first
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 24 Jan 2017, 7:50 am

@wornsprokets wrote:I will be doing head race bearings with paddle mixer...too as they're very loose...but I'll try and adjust them first

Dream on :) It should be that easy but there isn't a 'lip' on the bottom bearing race that lives inside the head-tube.

People have all sorts of problems getting them out - you either need something that grips the inside of the bearing race or weld something onto the race to pull it out (this also helps by heating it up). If both of them fail it can be cut out (slowly!) using a dremmel or similar cutter.

Anyway - you are right to try and adjust them first. Depending on how much time you have available it might be worth taking them apart, cleaning, greasing and adjusting them - mind you, this requires taking the front of the bike apart in the same way as changing them!
spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Tue 24 Jan 2017, 11:16 am

@wornsprokets wrote:U push tube to one side i had  paddle at an angle and it got purchase  only little but no problem  on bearing..then right whack....with hammer...then move to other side and repeat... yep tube was inside... i also did rear bearings same way and no probs. I pushed tube  and there little purchase... these were original bearings...in wheel... i had paddle mixer at angle as far as it go..   i wil be doing head race bearings with paddle mixer...too as there very loose...but i try adjust them first

Yep that's the issue, small tolerances on the spacer tube, some have said they could move it over, some not including me. Just wouldn't give any kind of lip at all sadly, so drilled it. Ref the head race, that is either welding or drilling too. Mental design. On reflection I should have put a cut into the ends of the tube on the wheel bearings for the next person to get some purchase or just left the tube out, it's seems rather pointless as the bearing as far as I can see sits right up against the base of the drum. Not convinced the spacer tube is even needed. Terrible terrible design flaw. Not easily serviceable for some, not all anyway.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Tue 24 Jan 2017, 2:12 pm

Yep theres few terrible designs on cb rear brake for one...having to take rear wheel off to take off caliper is just plain crazy...
spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Tue 24 Jan 2017, 8:31 pm

Well my CB flew through the MOT today except the front tyre I asked the garage to order in and sort was the wrong size. Their error ! Unfortunately I can't get back over to the garage with my trailer until Saturday now, so that does mean of course the weather is going to warm up for a few days under the rules of Sod's law.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 24 Jan 2017, 8:54 pm

@spanner monkey wrote:Well my CB flew through the MOT today except the front tyre I asked the garage to order in and sort was the wrong size. Their error ! Unfortunately I can't get back over to the garage with my trailer until Saturday now, so that does mean of course the weather is going to warm up for a few days under the rules of Sod's law.

What size did they get?
spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Wed 25 Jan 2017, 8:04 pm

Apparently they sent the cbf500 front tyre. Not sure on size.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 25 Jan 2017, 8:14 pm

@spanner monkey wrote:Apparently they sent the cbf500 front tyre. Not sure on size.

120/70/17 off the top of my head, the stock cb one is 110/80/17

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 28 Jun 2017, 6:28 am