Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

VFR750F

Jameshambleton

VFR750F

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 17 Jan 2017, 7:46 pm

I'm looking at a 1987 RC24 vfr750f for about £450, in a rather sorry state for itself. I'm tempted to make a streetfighter out of it, with a single sided swingarm and underseat exhaust, single round 7" head light ect. Obviously my cb400sf would be getting sold and my bandit 400 will be going somewhere (undecided at the moment).

I was wondering if anyone here had any experience of these bikes?
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Re: VFR750F

Post by wornsprokets on Tue 17 Jan 2017, 8:49 pm

Ive ridden later ones james..there a good bike but exhaust rot and are not cheap to replace as they have lot bends in them(but there old bike now so u mite get cheap ones) there racing them in a series in uk now...there low state of tune so they go on for ever....nothing sounds like a v4 .... i missed out on a mint 93 german import it was 2k euro it was like new... go for it james ... as it be snaped up for racing it wont last long
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 17 Jan 2017, 9:04 pm

@wornsprokets wrote:Ive ridden later ones james..there a good bike but exhaust rot and are not cheap to replace as they have lot bends in them(but there old bike now so u mite get cheap ones) there racing them in a series in uk now...there low state of tune so they go on for ever....nothing sounds like a v4 .... i missed out on a mint 93 german import it was 2k euro it was like new... go for it james ... as it be snaped up for racing it wont last long

It's got a full motad system on it, it's currently my mates and it's just sat in his front garden (as shown) so not publicly for sale, needs new front discs though as with it been stood they've warped to where the pads are and there is a serious case of pulsing through the lever as you brake. 

I didn't realise they had a racing series. Any chance of any details?
trophydave
Godly
Godly

Post by trophydave on Tue 17 Jan 2017, 9:47 pm

I had an 89 one similar to yours and a 94 S/Sided swingarm one.The Motad is a good thing to have as wornsprockets pointed out.Check the charging as like a lot of Hondas they can eat the R/R.Screw and locknut valve adjustment on the early ones,although not the easiest bikes to work on.My 94 one was probably the best bike that I have owned although I never really connected with it.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Tue 17 Jan 2017, 9:55 pm

Theres a guy james in practical sportsbike magazine racing vfr 750 simular to urs. This month.. it has details in  mag of series they race in
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 18 Jan 2017, 8:19 am

Personally I'd prefer that to your cb400 - the VFR has the correct number of cylinders :)

I've never heard to brake discs warping while stationary, anyway, do you know anyone with a large lathe?  If that aren't too warped you can skim it back to being flat...  of course this assumes that there is enough thickness left to do this.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Wed 18 Jan 2017, 2:17 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:Personally I'd prefer that to your cb400 - the VFR has the correct number of cylinders Smile

Both have four. ; - )
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 22 Jan 2017, 1:44 pm

@trevor machine wrote:
@eternally_troubled wrote:Personally I'd prefer that to your cb400 - the VFR has the correct number of cylinders :)

Both have four. ; - )

True, but only one has them in a V :)
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Fri 27 Jan 2017, 2:14 am

Go for it, James. As has been said, there's nothing like a V4, which is why I will always own one. Fill ya boots, lad!
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 27 Jan 2017, 8:46 am

@badseeds wrote:Go for it, James. As has been said, there's nothing like a V4, which is why I will always own one. Fill ya boots, lad!

I shal be seeking father's permission tonight as it'll have to live at his house
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Fri 27 Jan 2017, 10:20 am

For cheap money for vfr750 i dont think u can loose, has one those engines ever gone bang in normal use and basic care, i buy one .... there a dealer here in ireland with early version same as that with full luggage... for1900 euro! But he says it has a genuine 6k miles on it
Boodysaspie
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Boodysaspie on Thu 23 Feb 2017, 1:19 pm

You'll need as many headlights as you can manage (think 60s scooter) as the VFR's reg/rec doesn't like regging Laughing Laughing
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 23 Feb 2017, 1:42 pm

@Boodysaspie wrote:You'll need as many headlights as you can manage (think 60s scooter) as the VFR's reg/rec doesn't like regging Laughing Laughing

Thanks for that, I'm going to be doing the modifications on this bike properly. Mosfet reg/rec and charging system independent of the loom. Naked headlight like the CB and pretty much anything and everything fitted with relays.

Oh and I bought the bike 2 weeks ago
Boodysaspie
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Boodysaspie on Thu 23 Feb 2017, 1:58 pm

If this is your first, you're in for a treat. That engine! I've had two and lost many licence points on each, but these days I prefer the simplicity/lighter weight of the twins.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 23 Feb 2017, 3:16 pm

@Boodysaspie wrote:If this is your first, you're in for a treat. That engine! I've had two and lost many licence points on each, but these days I prefer the simplicity/lighter weight of the twins.

First bike over 499cc, this project is going to take well over a year to do because of the amount of research that I need to do. Mainly measurements for one off custom parts and hidden problems that always arise especially the rear chain alignment and swingarm.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Thu 23 Feb 2017, 8:40 pm

Always liked the sound of the v4... vfr 400- vfr750- 800(non vtec)rvf400- rc30-rc45 special. Bikes...  james will enjoy his v4 experience....
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Fri 24 Feb 2017, 3:48 pm

james, i met a 92-93 vfr750 with a gp style exhaust and it made the best sound ive ever heard from a motorbike. it was sensational.

Last edited by geewhizz on Sat 25 Feb 2017, 5:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Boodysaspie
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Boodysaspie on Fri 24 Feb 2017, 6:24 pm

I had a Motad Venom on my last VFR. The stamp said "street legal" Laughing Laughing, yet it sounded, as geewhiz says, sensational. The baffle was removable ...

The downside, for me at least, was the weight when flicking through the twisties, and the complexity at spanner time. Maybe I'm just getting old ...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 23 Aug 2017, 10:25 pm