Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, ride safe! The CB500Club team

Brand New Standard Silencers

jonnyteabag
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Brand New Standard Silencers

Post by jonnyteabag on Sun 08 Jan 2017, 3:58 pm

Hi all,
 I've used this company for exhaust cans before and can recommend them.

They're based in Italy and wonder if these standard looking silencers made by Marving are the original supplier of the Italian built CB5's.

If the euro rate improves it may be a cheap way to get a standard can for your bike.

https://www.motorcycle-exhausts.net/honda-cb-500/66744-marving-h-2152-nc-honda-cb-500-93-95.html

I notice that there are people selling pattern front pipes in unpainted mild steel on the Fleece-bay,so if you painted/coated a set of these with a black finish and matched it to the Marving original type you could have a genuine looking standard system for all of those with a OCD for originality Laughing
Jameshambleton

Re: Brand New Standard Silencers

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 08 Jan 2017, 6:39 pm

Nice to see their website is still around but for £164 you could get a full motad ebay system for £20 more
jonnyteabag
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by jonnyteabag on Sun 08 Jan 2017, 9:56 pm

Well I guess there's always someone daft enough to pay and want the closest thing to original Rolling Eyes

One day people will be clamoring to "restore" these workhorses..then the price of every cable clip and widjit will go thru the roof  Sad 

Ride safe, JT Rolling Eyes

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sun 08 Jan 2017, 10:03 pm

I have a brand new Honda end can in the loft,for when I do the full rebuild..
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 08 Jan 2017, 10:16 pm

@sullivj wrote:I have a brand new Honda end can in the loft,for when I do the full rebuild..

Just keep turning that front engine mounting bolt, mine had started to give a decent amount of resistance today as I was turning it and it was only fitted a couple of months ago.
jonnyteabag
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by jonnyteabag on Sun 08 Jan 2017, 10:18 pm

Does anyone know the cost of the Honda Silencer?

Bet it's more than £164 tho...
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 08 Jan 2017, 10:31 pm

@jonnyteabag wrote:Does anyone know the cost of the Honda Silencer?

Completely off topic, I've just noticed your location.... I was in Colne the other weekend on the cb... bugga

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Mon 09 Jan 2017, 6:30 am

J
@jonnyteabag wrote:Does anyone know the cost of the Honda Silencer?

'Only' £415...!

Thanks for the tip about the bolt James. I will take mine out and grease it up again.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Mon 09 Jan 2017, 7:35 am

@sullivj wrote:I have a brand new Honda end can in the loft,for when I do the full rebuild..

That's some careful forward planning. When do you think the time will come for a full rebuild? Given the care with which you treat your CB I'd say this would be decades rather than years. I'm positively neglectful in comparison and - although I do somehow seem to have acquired two of the damn things - I'm wondering if I'll ever actually be without a CB500. I know I could - and according to friends SHOULD - sell one, but you know how it is. Every time I seriously consider some other bike, I start to think yeah but even though it would be better according to criterion X (e.g. better for longer distances) sanity prevails and I conclude that yes this may be true but it wouldn't be any better at A, B, C, D, E, F and G - and given those make up 95% of my riding, why bother changing. Hence I don't.

E.g. I might fancy a £2k-ish Hornet. But then I think wait, for that I could get a half decent VFR750 which is twice the bike, or a vtr storm which is twice the fun. Fact remains that for 90% of the time the CB is as good a bike if not better.

Anyway, every year that passes sees 10k, 15k and even sometimes 20k more miles on these bikes - and they never look, feel or sound any different! What the hell. The manufacturer's slogan should be "Honda - almost comically durable".

Whoops - soz about that digression guys. Back to exhausts now!! ; - )

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Mon 09 Jan 2017, 8:11 am

Unlikely to be any time soon Trevor.  I did lavish some care attention and VHT to my entire exhaust a few years ago, and it's held up very well.

I do have a habit of stockpiling new parts when I see them become available for a good price 'just in case'...!

I have other bikes, but for the reasons you've given, I'm unlikely to get rid of the humble CB either.  I brought it as a 'hack' to throw around the Isle of Man for a week, fully intending to sell it afterwards.  I enjoyed the week so much, I've had it ever since.
hh_12345
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by hh_12345 on Mon 09 Jan 2017, 8:39 am

@jonnyteabag wrote:Well I guess there's always someone daft enough to pay and want the closest thing to original Rolling Eyes

That would be me! Very Happy

I like the sound of the original and the looks are ok too.

I also like the motad but I can not find a clip of it to check the sound, so I'll probably be getting marving soon.

Recently a new original honda silencer sold on e bay for 110 pounds, but thats quite rare.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Tue 10 Jan 2017, 10:12 pm

It was Solfer who made the Italian-built CB500 silencers. http://www.solfer.it/
jonnyteabag
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by jonnyteabag on Tue 10 Jan 2017, 11:35 pm

Ah, ok..well if the pic they show on the link IS a Marving it looks a pretty decent copy then,even shows the hose guides like the genny one.

I used to own a Yamaha BT1100 Bulldog which was manufactured in Italy by Belgarda and apart from the motor which was imported from Japan used a lot of Italian sourced parts,all electrics, frame was made by Verlicchi (who make the frames for Ducati) and the exhausts were made by Lafranconi,(Think Moto Guzzi)

Needless to say that most of Bulldog probs that owners of these bikes seem to have are electrically related!
Italian electrics eh?? Laughing

JT Rolling Eyes
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Tue 10 Jan 2017, 11:39 pm

@jonnyteabag wrote:Italian electrics eh?? Laughing

JT Rolling Eyes

Ha ha! They're much better than they used to be, but they'll never shake off the bad rep. And yes, the Marving silencer is the only one that faithfully recreates the hose-guide. Have you seen the prices that a good, used CB silencer goes for? They're in demand.
jonnyteabag
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by jonnyteabag on Tue 10 Jan 2017, 11:46 pm

Makes the Marvin look a good buy then...
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 11 Jan 2017, 8:51 am

This is certainly a good copy - personally (when my original rusted away) I went for stainless. If I get bored of the shiny-ness I will sand it and paint it black!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 15 Dec 2017, 2:05 pm