Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

cbf 500 replacement headlight bulb

Share
avatar
biglee
Rossi
Rossi

Posts : 54

cbf 500 replacement headlight bulb

Post by biglee on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 8:38 pm

hi all and happy new year
i want to replace my standard bulb with something much brighter as my journey now takes me down a 5 mile country lane with no street lights any surgestions  thanks
avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 1806
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Re: cbf 500 replacement headlight bulb

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 9:29 pm

This topic is a good idea, I do all my journeys in the dark. I'm also thinking about getting some spot lights on the front too fitted via relays
avatar
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic
Posts : 747
Location : Windsor

Re: cbf 500 replacement headlight bulb

Post by ANDYC on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 9:36 pm

Don't bother with spotlights, just wiring your headlight with relays will be a vast improvement. There is a thread somewhere explaining it.
avatar
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic
Posts : 747
Location : Windsor

Re: cbf 500 replacement headlight bulb

Post by ANDYC on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 9:38 pm

It's listed as headlight upgrade by navy Mike in the upgrade section
avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 1806
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Re: cbf 500 replacement headlight bulb

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 10:09 pm

ANDYC wrote:It's listed as headlight upgrade by navy Mike in the upgrade section

I linked it in my post but it doesn't stand out clearly. With the majority of the riding that I do I was going to aim the spots downwards just infront of my bike for corners as half of my riding is done at night.
avatar
biglee
Rossi
Rossi

Posts : 54

bulbs

Post by biglee on Fri 06 Jan 2017, 10:04 pm

hi all i really wanted some advice on what bulb i should use as a replacement for my standard
avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 1806
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Re: cbf 500 replacement headlight bulb

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 07 Jan 2017, 12:14 am

biglee wrote:hi all i really wanted some advice on what bulb i should use as a replacement for my standard

My bike supposedly has an uprated bulb in the headlight but I've never had to check. I'm changing in indicators this weekend so I'll let you know what I have also osram night breakers are apparently very good.
avatar
biglee
Rossi
Rossi

Posts : 54

bulbs

Post by biglee on Sat 07 Jan 2017, 12:17 am

are they h4 or h7
avatar
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic
Posts : 747
Location : Windsor

Re: cbf 500 replacement headlight bulb

Post by ANDYC on Sat 07 Jan 2017, 9:21 am

They are H4.
I went through many uprated bulbs before I realised that it makes negligible difference unless you're going to be getting a full 12 volts to the bulb.
avatar
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!
Posts : 3656
Location : 'ere be fens. (near Cambridge)

Re: cbf 500 replacement headlight bulb

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 09 Jan 2017, 9:40 am

ANDYC wrote:They are H4.
I went through many uprated bulbs before I realised that it makes negligible difference unless you're going to be getting a full 12 volts to the bulb.

I can only agree with Andy - if you are going to buy a new bulb it is also worth adding a relay to remove the 'bottleneck' that is the handlebar switch/wiring!
avatar
Vardypeeps
Two Tone
Two Tone

Posts : 125

Re: cbf 500 replacement headlight bulb

Post by Vardypeeps on Mon 09 Jan 2017, 12:30 pm

Osram Nightbreakers can be recommended by me (bought from Halfords £23?).
I have one fitted to my Suzuki Van Van 125 as the original bulb is very poor and the headlight itself is small.
A very noticable white light difference and I think it said 100% brighter, definatly is.

I currently got a Bike It - Multi Colour Tech (something like that) fitted in CB500.
Supposed to cast varying colours as you lean to catch peoples eye, can't say it works and should have bought another Osram!

Might have a go at fitting a relay as mentioned above to help me out.
avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 1806
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Re: cbf 500 replacement headlight bulb

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 09 Jan 2017, 2:06 pm

Vardypeeps wrote:I currently got a Bike It - Multi Colour Tech (something like that) fitted in CB500.
Supposed to cast varying colours as you lean to catch peoples eye, can't say it works and should have bought another Osram!

My mate has something simular to you on his ktm RC125 constantly looks like he's indicating when it's just the headlight flickering going over bumps in the road, the amount of times I've had to look fully backwards to check is stupid.
avatar
Vardypeeps
Two Tone
Two Tone

Posts : 125

Re: cbf 500 replacement headlight bulb

Post by Vardypeeps on Tue 10 Jan 2017, 12:28 pm

Jameshambleton wrote:

Vardypeeps wrote:I currently got a Bike It - Multi Colour Tech (something like that) fitted in CB500.
Supposed to cast varying colours as you lean to catch peoples eye, can't say it works and should have bought another Osram!



My mate has something simular to you on his ktm RC125 constantly looks like he's indicating when it's just the headlight flickering going over bumps in the road, the amount of times I've had to look fully backwards to check is stupid.

Really don't rate them for the price, just go as bright as you can without melting your headlight Razz
avatar
biglee
Rossi
Rossi

Posts : 54

bulbs

Post by biglee on Wed 18 Jan 2017, 8:02 pm

hi guys
my cbf dont have headlight switch the lights come on when the yey is turned would this affect the power drain from the battery
avatar
Vardypeeps
Two Tone
Two Tone

Posts : 125

Re: cbf 500 replacement headlight bulb

Post by Vardypeeps on Thu 19 Jan 2017, 12:20 pm

Technically yes if its not running or sat at idle it would put more strain on the battery but no more than a standard bulb though?

The wiring loom wouldn't be putting any additional current through if you just changed the bulb, so it wouldn't effect the drain.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/motorcycling/motorcycle-bulbs/halfords-bike-it-motorcycle-bulb-hmb472sbb-h4-12v-60-55w
I would just grab on of these, seems to have good reviews.

Sponsored content

Re: cbf 500 replacement headlight bulb

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Wed 20 Sep 2017, 3:02 am