Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

gear change leaver seal

sammythespider
Rossi
Rossi

gear change leaver seal

Post by sammythespider on Mon 02 Jan 2017, 8:47 pm

Hi there, does anyone know if the seal on the gearshift lever can be changed without stripping the bike, looked in my Haynes but it only shows you how to do it if the whole mechanism has been removed, seems excessive just to change seal. Mine seems to be weeping slightly so not too worried at present. Thanks sam
Jameshambleton

Re: gear change leaver seal

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 07 Jan 2017, 9:40 pm

I'll have another look tomorrow, for some reason I got waterpump seal stuck in my head so I took a couple of photos of that today.. whoops
ZekeVal
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by ZekeVal on Tue 17 Jan 2017, 9:23 pm

I don't know if you still have this issue, but I was randomly browsing the french CB500 forum in the mechanical section, and I came across a tutorial to solve this problem (http://forum.cb500.org/viewtopic.php?t=28846) you might need to register to access that.

You basically just need to get a new seal (ref:91203-KK3-830, but might have changed to 91203-KA4-771) , lean the bike on the right side, unscrew the gearshift lever, and then pry off the old seal with a flat-head screwdriver. Finally put on the new seal with the writings facing outside, making sure everything is clean to avoid trapping unwanted particles there, which would ruin your seal in no time.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by ZekeVal on Wed 18 Jan 2017, 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 18 Jan 2017, 9:00 am

Yes that's useful!

If you did it at the same time as an oil change you probably wouldn't even need to lean it over...
ZekeVal
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by ZekeVal on Wed 18 Jan 2017, 7:32 pm

eternally_troubled wrote:Yes that's useful!

If you did it at the same time as an oil change you probably wouldn't even need to lean it over...

Good point !
sammythespider
Rossi
Rossi

Post by sammythespider on Thu 19 Jan 2017, 6:55 pm

Thank lots for that, don't know for certain if I need to do it yet but looking at the bike it seems a bit oily in this area, not enough to drip but I am keeping an eye on it. Relief to know that I can get away without a major engine strip though. Thanks Sam
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Wed 19 Apr 2017, 11:37 am

Yeah, I changed mine a while ago without draining the oil or anything. Just took the gear lever off, levered the old one out, cleaned the gearchange shaft, and pushed the new one on. Put electrical tape around the splines on the shaft to avoid damaging the new seal.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 20 Sep 2017, 3:39 pm