Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Stator cover

spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Stator cover

Post by spanner monkey on Mon 02 Jan 2017, 4:55 pm

Okay so not too familiar with the charging system. The spare CB500 engine I rebuilt ( its a '95 with 55k on it allegedly )has the stator cover on it but the three yellow wires coming from it have all come loose from the 3 slot box connector at the outer end and I just need to solder new blades on and refit the connector. ( it was like this when I picked it up so the breaker was clearly being careless - he handed me the connector at least )  Haven't uploaded a pic as it's quite clear as to the bit I'm referring to. As they are all the same colour Yellow and there isn't a clear and obvious way how do I know which wire goes where in the box connector. I'm going to swap the engines over this year at the next oil change and strip the bikes own unit down to solve a little but not very often knock. And give the engine a general rinse through and look over. I could just swap the stator covers when I swap the engines, but don't really want to as I'd like to sell one of the engines complete ( most likely the spare after testing ) and at least they'll both have been tested running so not selling on a pup with smoke, knocks, noises, rattles etc.

I do have a multimeter and an amateurish knowledge of its workings ( mostly used as a volt meter and testing for continuity ) so all guidance very much appreciated. 

Ta so much in advance.
Jameshambleton

Re: Stator cover

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 02 Jan 2017, 6:58 pm

The 3 yellow wires that come out from stator windings can be put into the block in any order, it doesn't matter as they all carry 3 phase ac current and they all go through the same diodes in the reg/rec.
spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Mon 02 Jan 2017, 9:04 pm

Well that's a bit simple then. What Is the point of 3 wires then ?
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 09 Jan 2017, 9:13 am

spanner monkey wrote:Well that's a bit simple then. What Is the point of 3 wires then ?

One wire for the end of each phase :)  The alternating current/voltage in any one phase is 120 degrees 'out of phase' with the current in either of the other phases - here is a (bad!) diagram I made to try and explain:

The three colours represent the voltage between phases - so on your alternator the red voltage between one pair of yellow wires, the green voltage between another pair and the blue voltage between the remaining pair - they are all on the same diagram so it is possible to see the relationship between one and other.

This all happens because the alternator has three coils connected like this:

The round black bit is the end of the crankshaft and the grey bit is the magnet on the rotor.

As you probably know this is a slight simplification (there is more than one magnet and there could be more than three coils) but this is conceptually how it works.

Because the voltage/currents in the three yellow wires are essentially very similar (just out of phase with one and other) it doesn't matter which one is connected to which input on the rectifier regulator.

To answer your question directly: There are three wires because if you use three wires you can get three times as much power out by only adding one extra wire! (if you only had one phase you would still need two wires).

EDIT: additional - just in case you are interested this is also how almost all of our electrical power is generated and distributed (in three phases), just at a slightly different scale....
spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Mon 09 Jan 2017, 9:54 am

Thanks. LOL though as the only bit of your answer I understood was that you clearly know what your talking about. Just poke the 3 yellow wires in the the box connector in any order then. 

Cheers

Rich
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 09 Jan 2017, 9:59 am

spanner monkey wrote: Just poke the 3 yellow wires in the the box connector in any order then. 

Absolutely!  You don't need to worry about all that other stuff but it might be of interest to someone (maybe!) :)
spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Mon 09 Jan 2017, 12:53 pm

Yeah thanks for the detail, I'll read and digest, but for once a simple fix, not a complicated one at all. Issue being it's the spare engine I rebuilt and just want to swap them at next oil change to see how it fairs and to then sell on as a reliable runner, with the benefit of a strip on the bikes existing engine. 

Cheers

Rich
spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Tue 10 Jan 2017, 12:12 am

Thanks eternally troubled that actually makes a fair bit of sense now. I'm not that ofay with the electrical side so this is a nice little education.

Thanks

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 23 Oct 2017, 7:58 pm