You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

[solved]Carb heating, is it necessary?

Melitos
Godly
Godly

[solved]Carb heating, is it necessary?

Post by Melitos on Fri 30 Dec 2016, 7:52 am

Hi all and greetings from Finland.

I have an early PC26 CB500 in red.

My problem is that the carb heater hose connector is broken on RH side carb. It has been that way at least since i bought the bike about a year ago. There is no coolant/air/fuel leak, only that the heat carried by coolant is not transferred to carburettor body.

Should i leave it as is? Has anyone experience on running their bike without carb heating? I do not plan to ride on temperatures below +5°C.

Should i remove the heating also from LH side carb to keep things in balance?

Should i try to find used heater hose connetor for my RH carb?

I plan to rebuild my carbs during this winter and fit dynojet kit so while I am at it, it would be easy to fix this heater hose issue.

BR,
Antti
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Re: [solved]Carb heating, is it necessary?

Post by jerryfudd on Fri 30 Dec 2016, 8:03 am

my father in law had the same issue when he bought his 500S and noted it was a little rough on the cold start and that was in the UK's warmer months. He just bought new connectors and fitted to the carbs, problem sorted.

Dan
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 30 Dec 2016, 8:28 am

I don't think it will do any long term harm.  You'll just get the 'coughing and spluttering'/hesitancy sometimes associated with carb icing - of couse, this won't happen all the time.

It's rather difficult to predict when carb icing is going to happen - oddly enough it's not as strongly linked to temperature as you might think - it is also related to humidity, so a cool-ish autumn day might be worse.

I would leave the LH carb  (the one with heat) alone - having at least one carb which doesn't ice up is a good thing!  I don't think it will cause an imbalance apart from when one is iced up and one isn't!

Is it part 19 from here that is broken?  It looks like you can order a new one - there might well be a cheaper, local Honda representative to order it from - I suspect Lings charge rather over-the-top postage to send Finland!
Melitos
Godly
Godly

Post by Melitos on Fri 30 Dec 2016, 10:29 am

Thanks guys!

Indeed it is the part 19 that is broken. I had no clue that these have a part number and could be bought separately. Now that I know the part number I can order it from local bike service shop.

It is anyway next to impossible to buy the part second hand since nobody wants to break carb assembly into smaller parts, so buying a new part will be lowest cost option.

Cheers,
Antti
Vardypeeps
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by Vardypeeps on Fri 30 Dec 2016, 11:20 am

I'm habing the same issues with fueling at the moment and I think this could be the source of my problems too!
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 30 Dec 2016, 12:33 pm

@Vardypeeps wrote:I'm habing the same issues with fueling at the moment and I think this could be the source of my problems too!

I have a spare set of carbs if you want to take them off me for the parts? I'm going to be at morrisons in keithley at 2pm ish today, I'll pm you my number
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Fri 30 Dec 2016, 12:52 pm

I have at least one of these items available, quite possibly more as I canibalised a set of carbs for the fireblade ones on my track bike project.
£5 delivered to UK or plus whatever postage is to where you live.
I can't believe that Lings list them for £23+ Shocked
Melitos
Godly
Godly

Post by Melitos on Fri 30 Dec 2016, 1:10 pm

@ANDYC wrote:I have at least one of these items available, quite possibly more as I canibalised a set of carbs for the fireblade ones on my track bike project.
£5 delivered to UK or plus whatever postage is to where you live.
I can't believe that Lings list them for £23+ Shocked

Hi

I'd be interested to buy one from you. I'll send PM.

BR,
Antti
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 02 Jan 2017, 3:43 pm

@ANDYC wrote:
I can't believe that Lings list them for £23+ :shock:

Yes, this is the price of Lings (or more probably Honda) keeping them on a shelf for (say) 20 years!

Much cheaper if you can find one that has been kept on a bike for 20 years....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 27 Apr 2018, 3:38 am