Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

2017 plans

stormbringer

Re: 2017 plans

Post by stormbringer on Sat 07 Jan 2017, 6:35 pm

trevor machine wrote:I have just that - a Highlander Blackthorn 1.

The Blackthorn is a good little tent though - but it's roll in, roll out job. However, is easy to pitch and packs very small and is light, also affordable. I like.

Also, devising an ever-smaller set up becomes a diverting pass-time in itself - no tank bag, no tent, no this that or the other. These bush craft wizards on youtube often have a mad zealous ethos for getting their gear down to fitting in a matchbox. It's a strangely compelling little game to play once you get into it.

I've got some kind of camping on my todo-list, but have near-zero experience with tents - apart from ending up being soggy and displeased with the whole affair the few times I've tried.

So I read a few reviews on the Blackthorn 1, hoping it would be a choice that would not fail me in the rain. It probably won't if reviews are to be trusted, but it seems to be too small.

Bugger. Any pointers to reliable 1-man-tents, big enough to give shelter in the rain for a 6.1 foot bloke?
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sat 07 Jan 2017, 7:01 pm

That Blackthorn really is small - but it's easy to pitch, cheap, dry and fairly well-made. It's also light and compact and easy to disassemble and pack. I'm 5' 11", so around 1.7m - also not slim, for sure. But this little tent *will* accommodate people of this size and proportion ; - ). The first night is rough in any tent. Oh yeah I also have a small, slim, self-inflating bed roll thing which is essential and arguably more important for a comfortable, restful night than a sleeping bag. But as has been said, it's a bit of a young man's game really, and although I do spend time planning this kind of thing, actually doing it is another matter. ; - )
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sat 07 Jan 2017, 7:02 pm

Oh yeah I forgot to say - storing your boots and lid etc. is done using decent sized polythene bags which can preferably be tied and just dumped near the tent and or bike. This does away with the need for a tent with a "porch".
hh_12345
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by hh_12345 on Sat 07 Jan 2017, 7:11 pm

stormbringer wrote:

trevor machine wrote:I have just that - a Highlander Blackthorn 1.

The Blackthorn is a good little tent though - but it's roll in, roll out job. However, is easy to pitch and packs very small and is light, also affordable. I like.

Also, devising an ever-smaller set up becomes a diverting pass-time in itself - no tank bag, no tent, no this that or the other. These bush craft wizards on youtube often have a mad zealous ethos for getting their gear down to fitting in a matchbox. It's a strangely compelling little game to play once you get into it.

I've got some kind of camping on my todo-list, but have near-zero experience with tents - apart from ending up being soggy and displeased with the whole affair the few times I've tried.

So I read a few reviews on the Blackthorn 1, hoping it would be a choice that would not fail me in the rain. It probably won't if reviews are to be trusted, but it seems to be too small.

Bugger. Any pointers to reliable 1-man-tents, big enough to give shelter in the rain for a 6.1 foot bloke?

You can take a look at the blacks octane 2.

http://www.adventuretravelmagazine.co.uk/index.php/gear-reviews/camping/tents/item/189-blacks-octane-2-tent-review/189-blacks-octane-2-tent-review

Listed as 200 pound tent in the link but they are currently sold for about 80. It is a 2 person tent, but it is not big and would be comfortable for a single person. It is  light, compact when stored,  watreproof and has space for luggage at entrance area.  
I have spent a rainy night in mine and it didn't let water in, It is also a fairly warm tent. Got it from e bay for 60 pounds.

A also own two  tents from the decatlhon brands but they tend to be a bit heavy.

I think that any tent made by a established sports goods manufacturer like north face, vaude or vango  would be good enough. 

You should also consider the type of the tent - here is a link where two popular types are compared:
http://www.fjallraven.com/tunnel-vs-dome

rendeer

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 24 Oct 2017, 1:14 am