Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, ride safe! The CB500Club team

Frauds of half oil back on offer

Jameshambleton

Frauds of half oil back on offer

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 25 Dec 2016, 10:10 pm

So after the long discussions of this time last year I've been using this without issue and it's back and it's at the same price as last year to £12 for 4 liters.

Frauds of half
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Re: Frauds of half oil back on offer

Post by Beresford on Mon 26 Dec 2016, 1:11 am

Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 26 Dec 2016, 9:38 am

I've been told that you shouldn't use fully synthetic as it affects the way the bearings in the engine move, fully synth makes them skid rather than roll as they should do. As there wasn't fully synthetic when our engine was designed.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 26 Dec 2016, 10:31 am

I think full synthetic is a better oil but ive heard that in likes of old yamahas that use to drink oil like yzf 750 & fzr 1000...it make it worse as in consumption  as its a thinner oil...also clutch slip...but i cant be sure of this, i use semi in my old fireblade
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Mon 26 Dec 2016, 10:37 am

@Jameshambleton wrote:
 fully synth makes them skid rather than roll as they should do.

This sounds like a confusion between the behaviour of roller/ball bearings with plain bearings.
The most important consideration with an oil is the film strength where the nose of the camshaft lobes bear on the followers, as this is where the oil is under maximum stress. Modern fully synthetic oils tend to be better in this respect.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 26 Dec 2016, 3:21 pm

I've found that they hide these very well amongst the other oils, usually a single row next to the 5 liter bottles. I've just bought 4 bottles but I'm going to get a couple more, 4 bottles should last me for the year but now with having 3 bikes I may need some more.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 26 Dec 2016, 3:24 pm

I used 10/40  semi in cb and no probs .. james going get few cans  in next few days
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Mon 26 Dec 2016, 4:03 pm

I've just visited one of the local stores here (Bangor) and they had a pile of the 4L £12 oils on display in front of the main cash desk, so you couldn't miss them. I wonder how long that offer will last ? I bought a couple as the CB is due a change in about 1000 miles, for me that would be approaching Easter, and I'll bet that the offer would be over then! I use the same oil in the Tiger, but that isn't due until the summer, and when it's due I'll be feeling great smugness ! cheers
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 26 Dec 2016, 4:43 pm

What you using beresford, fully synthetic in the cb? I say offer last til end of jan....
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Mon 26 Dec 2016, 9:27 pm

@wornsprokets wrote:fully synthetic in the cb?
Yep
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 27 Dec 2016, 11:05 am

@Jameshambleton wrote:

I've been told that you shouldn't use fully synthetic as it affects the way the bearings in the engine move, fully synth makes them skid rather than roll as they should do. As there wasn't fully synthetic when our engine was designed.

You *can* have problems with some types of ball-bearings, in some situations. Our engine (in the cb500) has plain bearings for the most critical parts, so the rotating part is constantly 'skidding' on a film of pressurised oil all the time anyway - I'm pretty sure you can use fully synth in the cb500.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Tue 27 Dec 2016, 1:13 pm

Have you a fairly new clutch in the cb beresford...i taught fully synthetic cause clutch slip in old bikes
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Tue 27 Dec 2016, 5:25 pm

18,000 miles
My CB and my Tiger are the same year - 2003. When new, Triumph recommended Mobil 1 synthetic for the Tiger which has a wet clutch. Mobil 1 is a high quality general purpose car oil, so since then I have always used full synthetics in my bikes with no clutch issues.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 28 Dec 2016, 7:34 am

@wornsprokets wrote:Have you a fairly new clutch in the cb beresford...i taught fully synthetic cause clutch slip in old bikes

Not normally - it's the friction modifiers (additives to make oil flow more efficiently) in 'high efficiency' oils which usually cause clutch problems - it shouldn't be a problem as long as you stay away from any oils that suggest they improve your miles-per-gallon! The synthetic oil by itself isn't the problem...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 15 Dec 2017, 7:38 pm