Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Stainless steel braided brake hose........from China

Beresford
the 900
the 900

Stainless steel braided brake hose........from China

Post by Beresford on Thu 22 Dec 2016, 7:02 pm

I saw this on ebay, and just had to buy it to see what it was like. I'd previously replaced the hoses on my CB with a pair from Wezmoto who are the cheapest available that I've been able to find up until now. The Wezmoto hoses were £40+ the set. This single hose - was £4.11 DELIVERED FROM CHINA.

But would you trust it , that's the question?

Can anybody suggest a way of testing first, cos at the price it's an incredible saving, and they are available in a big range of lengths and colours.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122191605621?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=422465729436&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Re: Stainless steel braided brake hose........from China

Post by wornsprokets on Thu 22 Dec 2016, 7:28 pm

I imagine a pressure test with compressed air up to certain  pressures...but at what pressures i am not sure.. china...  hmmm...not sure i take chance with brakes
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 22 Dec 2016, 7:37 pm

I wouldn't trust it, even if it withstands the pressure test in the long run the banjo's will likely degrade and possible leak or contaminate the system
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Thu 22 Dec 2016, 7:53 pm

i believe pressure testing is in the region of 2x max working load for 10 minutes for hard pipe work in my work place, with something similar to this. You'd need to dead end one banjo and have a suitable union to connect the other end to the pump.

http://www.builderdepot.co.uk/rothenberger-rp30-pressure-test-pump.html?gclid=CLvVlsfIiNECFdU_GwodZGYCsg

expensive though
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 23 Dec 2016, 8:32 am

IF you are trying to work out how to test it you need to think how it might fail, now, only looking at the functional parts (not the cosmetic finish!) a brake hose has two ends and a flexible pipe between them, so:

* you can test that both ends are correctly swaged onto the pipe by pulling them and seeing what happens (I'll let you decide on how hard, but then, it only cost 4 quid!).  If they are securely mechanically connected then they will do the job.

* you should inspect the banjos at either end to make sure there are no obvious flaws in their manufacture (cracks, inclusions etc)

* you should check the weave of the stainless braid, especially when being bent, to make sure that none of the rubber brake pipe (that is inside the stainless braid) is exposed when you bend or flex the pipe

* it's not the same as a proper pressure test, but if you put it on the bike and leave the brake handle tied back to the lever for (say) 48 hrs that will put the whole thing under more pressure than you will ever use when actually breaking - obviously you want to look for bulging or leaking at the end of the test

So, if you do this you can be pretty sure said brake hose will not fail immediately when you put it on the bike (so it will be safe to ride off down the street after you've put everything back together).

The aspect that is harder to test (and what will probably determine the long-term safety) is the quality of the materials:

* you would expose the whole assembly to temperature cycling (say -20 deg. C to 55 deg. C) a good few times and the repeat the pressure test

* Expose the metal parts to some kind of corrosion test - usually a thing called a 'salt-fog' which simulates being on a ship with salty spray (not quite our application but similar in winter!)

*  Maybe a solar-radiation test?  Just in case any light gets through the braid to the rubber bits - what happens after a (simulated) 5 years?

I suspect there is a product standard for brake hoses (amusingly it is almost definitely a European one) to which it is supposed to conform - it would probably cover most/all of the above.

Now, we have tested one sample brake host -  the far more vexed question is this: Is every brake hose from this supplier going to be the same?  Well, that depends on their quality system and how many corners they want to cut (or not) - I can't really comment on that as I don't know.

I would hasten to say that you can apply all the same misgivings to brake hoses that were entirely manufactured here, in this country.  Equally, you have to think, where are the hoses for Wezmoto (or Wemoto for that matter) made and who is supervising that?

Anyway, all I can say is that you should do what you think is necessary whenever you buy or adjust a safety-critical part of your bike, even if it is from a 'reputable' supplier.

EDIT: sorry for the wall of text :)

EDIT2: made sure it was clear I knew that Wezmoto and Wemoto were two different places ;)

Last edited by eternally_troubled on Sat 24 Dec 2016, 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 23 Dec 2016, 9:27 am

@eternally_troubled Wezmoto and wemoto aren't related to each other as far as I'm aware as they completely have different office addresses that are nowhere near each other. 

Wezmoto lines funnily enough come with hel washers, hel rubber protector on the brake lines and the thingy that goes through the banjo. Same with my goodridge lines I believe.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Fri 23 Dec 2016, 9:44 am

Ive front wezmoto brake line last two years,  there very good.... not sure if i chance  on chinese version... not even if there that cheap....( i had front brake fail on tzr 125 back in the day and brake lever went to bar then i rear ended a car... i stayed on but as you can imagine some thing got crushed into tank Embarassed  ) i value my nuts so i stick with wezmoto lines....   when it comes to bike parts do not use chinese version  brake lines ,levers, chains...mastercylinders...not worth the risk  i think... maybe i am wrong...?
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Fri 23 Dec 2016, 12:59 pm

bin it and buy a well known make
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 24 Dec 2016, 4:49 pm

@skyrider wrote:bin it and buy a well known make

I would really truly like to think that was the safest answer - however I fear that the only 100% guaranteed thing you get from going somewhere well known is a better standard of redress if something does go wrong. You would hope that the possible liability associated with failing brakes ensure that anyone in this country would have done their research/testing properly.

I suspect that if you want the best chance of success you would be better going with venhill - all their brake lines are made here (in Dorking I believe) and they (at least) mention testing on their website. They also do lines for the CB500 :)

eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 24 Dec 2016, 4:50 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:@eternally_troubled Wezmoto and wemoto aren't related to each other as far as I'm aware as they completely have different office addresses that are nowhere near each other. 

I knew that - I didn't mean to imply they were anything other than both possible suppliers of brake hoses. I fixed my post :)
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sat 24 Dec 2016, 6:10 pm

Because the price was so low, and I didn't actually need hoses anyway (I've fitted replacements to the Honda already, and the Tiger has braided hoses as standard) I bought this purely out of curiosity. I'll probably end up using it as a clutch hose on something, or cutting it open to see if it is properly assembled and likely to be of useable quality.
Vardypeeps
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by Vardypeeps on Wed 28 Dec 2016, 12:40 pm

I've always gone with Hel Brake Lines, British and very nice quailty.
They can sometimes send hoses with the wrong style end on but never had any issues with sending anything back either.
Bigbill55

Post by Bigbill55 on Mon 02 Jan 2017, 11:04 am

If any item is of bad quality word soon gets around and we all steer clear of it. I don't know if Chinese brake hoses are any good or not as I have never used them. But I am thinking they must sell thousands of these things, and has anyone heard of one failing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 27 Jun 2017, 4:57 am