Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Cheap Chain Tools

wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Re: Cheap Chain Tools

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 16 Jan 2017, 11:34 pm

Its a d..i.d    o ring link berseford?
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Tue 17 Jan 2017, 12:01 am

This DID one is about £7

and this cheapo is £1

wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Tue 17 Jan 2017, 12:03 am

Its ...same one d.i.d as ur pic
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Tue 17 Jan 2017, 7:07 am

I do a lot of motorway hacking and I don't like the split link for that reason. If it fails in those conditions it could be fatal. I am sure the link is perfectly capable but people do not recommend them on 600cc and up, so for me, 500cc was pushing it a bit!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 18 Jan 2017, 8:44 am

You are not supposed to use split links on anything more than about 45-50 bhp, so yes, the CB500 should have a rivet-link chain.

The CB5 puts out around 57 bhp, so it's not exactly a superbike - so using a split link is probably not as suicidal as it would be on an R1 Smile

Personally I use a rivet link - the only time I will want to take the chain off will be when I am replacing it - at that point I grind/file the riveted part off and prise it apart - no problem. If you want to find way of easily replacing/riveting a chain see Delboys Garage on youtube...

It is good practice on any bike with a spring-link type chain to give it a quick look before you ride - you wouldn't want to leave without it!
Fair Weather Rider
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by Fair Weather Rider on Wed 18 Jan 2017, 12:44 pm

Have been following this thread about chain and found it very interesting, the tip on Dellboys Garage by Eternally Troubled was brilliant, I hadn't heard of him before, had a look at You Tube, so much useful info.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 22 Jan 2017, 1:57 pm

@Fair Weather Rider wrote:Have been following this thread about chain and found it very interesting, the tip on Dellboys Garage by Eternally Troubled was brilliant, I hadn't heard of him before, had a look at You Tube, so much useful info.

Oh yes, he's certainly worth a watch - lots of great videos on bike stuff.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 25 Jul 2017, 9:40 pm