Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Cheap Chain Tools

liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Cheap Chain Tools

Post by liverpool_f_ on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 9:03 pm

Hi all,

I am about due to replace my chain and sprockets and I think I will be doing them myself from here on so I need to invest in a tool. I know the Whale ones to be good but at £70, I would have to do a few chain changes before I get my money back. I was wondering if anyone had good experience with less expensive tools.

I will probably dremel off the old link and use a new DID chain which I understand are easier than some since they come pre-dimpled. So I will only use the tool rivet the new chain and not break the old one which should mean that a lesser tool should be up to the job.

Any experience would be awesome so I can get a tool and get on with the job.

Cheers
Jameshambleton

Re: Cheap Chain Tools

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 9:15 pm

Also interested in this topic as I need to put a chain on my bandit and the link needs to be riveted too!
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 9:59 pm

I got a chain breaking& fixing tool... for about 28 euro i think its always best to grind of the joining link rivets with a grinder ..as i think always good chance of breaking tool trying to split link so grinder best to grind off rivets then get tool to push pins out
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 11:53 pm

@wornsprokets wrote:I got a chain breaking& fixing tool... for about 28 euro i think its always best to grind of the joining link rivets with a grinder ..as i think always good chance of breaking tool trying to split link so grinder best to grind off rivets then get tool to push pins out
I take it that, once having split the chain, you use it to pull the new one on to the front sprocket ?
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 5:34 am

Yep... if i am keeping the sprokets...
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 6:31 am

Ah, of course. Then if the whole shebang is being replaced, there is no need for any special tool. Just assemble and peen the pin (carefully) with a hammer and a reaction block of some kind (like a bodywork dolly, for example)
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 6:32 am

Just noticed. Why are we on line at this godawful time of the day ???
Rolling Eyes

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 6:49 am

@Beresford wrote:Just noticed. Why are we on line at this godawful time of the day ???
Rolling Eyes

Because we love our forum SO much!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 4:12 pm

@Beresford wrote:Just noticed. Why are we on line at this godawful time of the day ???
:roll:

Just got in from the pub? :) Sadly I suspect you are both on the way to work...

Anyway, you can use almost anything (as suggested by Beresford) to peen over the end of the hollow/soft pin, you just need sufficient hard/heavy/well supported thing behind the chain to take the blow. Look at the delboys garage youtube vid about it - he explains it well. You only need to expand the pin a *tiny* amount to secure the chain plate.

My chain-tool (a really crap Motrax one I bought years ago before I knew better - I do not recommend it!) has a ball-bearing in the end, so I suspect you could improvise with a G-clamp and a ball-bearing....
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 7:39 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:Just got in from the pub?  Smile  Sadly I suspect you are both on the way to work...

Sadly neither. I am a crabbed oul bastid who tends to wake at god-knows-what-oclock and like last night/morning have a mug of tea at about 0430 hrs. I roundly cuss the world a few times, buy something useful on ebay and lurk here in case there are other insomniacs around.
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Wed 21 Dec 2016, 11:14 pm

Since it is a safety issue if the chain decides to give in lock up the back wheel, I will attempt to avoid the hammer method. Especially since its the first one I have done.

Does anyone have a decent cheapo model that works for them?
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 22 Dec 2016, 9:53 am

@liverpool_f_ wrote:Since it is a safety issue if the chain decides to give in lock up the back wheel, I will attempt to avoid the hammer method. Especially since its the first one I have done.

Does anyone have a decent cheapo model that works for them?

Kinda - I have this one which I got to work fine, but I can see exactly how it would break if you were not very careful while using it. Certainly don't try and break the chain with it - grind first - and use it to push the pin out (probably what you should do anyway). There may also be cheaper places to get it from. I would also bet there is a better one you can get.
steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Post by steady Eddy on Fri 23 Dec 2016, 10:38 pm

I have the same one as ET, it aint a great bit of kit but it does get the job done all be it with the help of extension bar as its hard to get enough leverage.
ceejay
the 800
the 800

Post by ceejay on Fri 23 Dec 2016, 11:05 pm

I have the same one and am also of the same opinion about it - could be a better design but once you know what to look out for you can make it work. My current chain has been joined with this tool and I inspect the soft link pretty regularly and looks good so far after a good few thousand miles (and a good MOT inspection). However I initially ruined a good soft link by splitting the pin. I was very careful next time to get the ball bearing exactly in the centre and not to apply too much pressure. If you're tight on money you can make this work fine, however if the 70 quid one is really good it's probably worth the extra 30 quid if you are going to have it a lifetime (I have no idea if it is actually better or not though!)
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 24 Dec 2016, 5:14 pm

@ceejay wrote:I have the same one and am also of the same opinion about it - could be a better design but once you know what to look out for you can make it work. My current chain has been joined with this tool and I inspect the soft link pretty regularly and looks good so far after a good few thousand miles (and a good MOT inspection). However I initially ruined a good soft link by splitting the pin. I was very careful next time to get the ball bearing exactly in the centre and not to apply too much pressure. If you're tight on money you can make this work fine, however if the 70 quid one is really good it's probably worth the extra 30 quid if you are going to have it a lifetime (I have no idea if it is actually better or not though!)

Yeah - you have to be careful not to over tighten or do it too far off centre (which is easy to do with this tool) - I learnt this in a very similar way. Honestly look at the Delboys garage about chain fitting - you don't need one of these tools! (hope I have the correct video) It's worth watching even if you do have one of these tools, but...
Vardypeeps
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by Vardypeeps on Wed 28 Dec 2016, 12:23 pm

Wemoto do one for around £50 which I bought and works great
Vardypeeps
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by Vardypeeps on Fri 13 Jan 2017, 12:59 pm

Popped a Topic on the General pages, Demon Tweaks have a sale on the Sealey Chain Tool at £35 instead of £72
Bigbill55

Post by Bigbill55 on Fri 13 Jan 2017, 2:03 pm

Have you considered  an endless chain. A few more parts to strip to fit it, but you will have no link to fit, and save the money you would spend on a chain tool.
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Fri 13 Jan 2017, 7:29 pm

I missed that offer on the Sealey chain tool set or I definitely would have considered it! I was not really aware of endless chains until more recently but if I am not mistaken, I don't think you could use it on the CB with removing the swing arm. Can anyone else on here confirm or deny that? I suppose you could do it by removing the lower shock absorber mounting perhaps.

In my search the a cheap tool, I ended up buying the most expensive tool! I have heard from many sources that many of the cheap tools have broken their riveting pins after 1 or 2 uses so I gave up on that and just bought the Genuine DID tool. Part no KM500. I think all the cheap tools are copies of this tool but it is especially designed for DID style chains and it both presses the outer link and does the riveting. Its also neat in that it does not allow you to over tighten and ruin your new link/rivet.

I bought and returned a whale tool because it didn't look like it would do a great job of flaring the DID style rivet. The spanner mechanism on the DID tool looks to give more control than the hammer method of the whale tool
Vardypeeps
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by Vardypeeps on Mon 16 Jan 2017, 12:44 pm

Endless chain to my knowledge always involves removing the swing arm pivot bolt which can be a pain on some bikes.

IMO The more you spend on tools the longer they will last.
TBH I managed to rivet 4-6 chains with just a drift and hammer on various 600-650cc bikes and never had them break but I'm happier now I have a chain tool Razz
Fair Weather Rider
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by Fair Weather Rider on Mon 16 Jan 2017, 7:21 pm

What's wrong with a split link? they normally supply both types of joining link with new chains.
I have always used a split link and never had a problem.

Mike.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 16 Jan 2017, 8:14 pm

I got my jt chain and jt sprokets  there oring, over a year ago and i did about 10k miles on them and regularly lubed and adjusted the chain... the adjustment near at limit... not impressed at all with jt chain... jt sprokets are fine... i was in bike shop saturday and i said it to guy i bought them off... any way i got a new master link a did one but its one with removable clip,  i am going take link out of chain when the time comes...i wont buy an other jt chain again....it was 135 euro  i think....... also now noticed from wheel bearings  need doing
RustyRed
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by RustyRed on Mon 16 Jan 2017, 9:16 pm

I use a split link as well Fair Weather Rider. No issues here.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 16 Jan 2017, 9:55 pm

I looked at prevoius post from few years back..it said that a split link with a clip is only suitable for 40hp bike...And i think cb's 57 hp out put Mad
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Mon 16 Jan 2017, 11:25 pm

Like everything else on the market, split links come as cheap basic ones and much more expensive ones. I did a search on ebay to see what was available, and it's obvious that the good ones are going to be a lot more capable than the basic ones. The clip design is totally different, and I'll bet that the accuracy and precision is also greatly improved. I'd be happy using a high quality split link ('O' ring type ) but definitely not one of the cheapos.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 3:37 pm