Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, ride safe! The CB500Club team

Grimy winter weather

liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Grimy winter weather

Post by liverpool_f_ on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 5:23 pm

Hi all,

There was a discussion on here a few weeks back about diesel and oil on the road. On my way home I have to take one of those 270 degree entry ramps to get onto the A3 and there was a strip of diesel the whole length of it right in the middle of the road so just another reminder to pay extra attention and knock another few MPH off your speed on these dark wet nights.

Also a good idea to get the high viz out and replace your crappy stock horn with a good one. I have recently bought (but not yet fitted) one of these;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/R-G-Denali-Soundbomb-Mini-Motorcycle-Horn-113dB-LOUD-/321875771508?hash=item4af14a8074:g:kvMAAOSwFnFWBR5E

No relays required and much smaller than some other mega horns like the Stiebel Nautilus. The Nautilus is amazing but you may struggle to fit one on the CB.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Re: Grimy winter weather

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 5:50 pm

Good advice liverpool f Shocked...also newly  laid tarmac is lethal...too some type of oil come out of it very slippery... i was on some last...week...rear end slid out as i turned left... but i knew from before as i came off newly layed tarmac  it was like black ice.. tarmac truck was still there it was layed with in an hour or so.i wasnt pleased it was a new bike ...and i had brand new loan on it...and i just put it on its side

Last edited by wornsprokets on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
GlenAnderson
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by GlenAnderson on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 6:28 pm

Good points. 

I've one of those Nautilus horns on my Landy and I agree, they're great but a bit bulky for most bikes.

I used to have a pair of horns very similar to the Denalis on my old BMW R100RS. I'm not sure whether they were factory or not, but by god were they loud! I may treat myself to a Denali for my new CBR... Thanks for the link.

Very Happy
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 6:35 pm

I have just installed that horn and it is great. Sound like a car horn which is what you want and great that it comes in a package that is just plug and play. Just swap it in in place of the stock horn.

Can't wait for my next opportunity to scare some sense into the next vacant driver I meet on the street!

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 6:58 pm

Thanks for the link. 

I have the nautilus on my CB. Might put one of these on too!
dodger
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by dodger on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 9:27 pm

Was also considering one of those horns as I also have the pleasure of a daily two wheeled commute but the seller obviously does not like us over here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Alvi
Running out of unique names

Post by Alvi on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 9:57 pm

@dodger wrote:Was also considering one of those horns as I also have the pleasure of a daily two wheeled commute but the seller obviously does not like us over here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doesn't like us either! My postcode just brings up 'doesn't post to the Isle of Man'. What really pi55es me off, when I change my postcode to a mainland one, it turns out he uses Royal Mail, who charge exactly the same to deliver here as they would to his next door neighbour - RM only have to get it to mainland airport, IoM post picks up the tab from there. I see this quite a bit with ebay sellers - fair enough with private sellers, you wouldn't expect them to know, but a mail order business? Don't deserve to be in business! 

Rant over!  Wink
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 10:39 pm

I get that also especially amazon ..not that far from uk... i expect it in iceland...not ireland
spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 10:52 am

Ive got two of those style of horns ( similar ) and they are incredibly loud and much more so than a typical car horn, actually fitted to my '81 CX500 on the forks. I think they are great for bikes. I don't know why the size of the horn has to reflect the size of the vehicle, thinking of bicycle/motorbike/car/bus/lorry, it just gets louder and louder depending on the size of the vehicle, but the need is the same - To let someone know you are there. Why do bike horns have to be the same stock standard feeble coffee cup saucer dishes that they are. With the mods that most bikers on here are perfectly capable of doing and the general insatiable fettling of old vehicles essentially keeping them running as new ( average bike age on this forum ? ) this is something that everyone should have. Many years ago I was on a 125 scooter ( please don't be rude, first bike on a CBT, learning the sensible way although having said that it was a piece of Chinese manufactured junk) and the car in front was rolling back ever so slowly on a hill at a traffic light, and I had no room to move back/roll back, due to the imbecile behind that decided to drive straight up to my number plate, and what could only be described as 'duck with a sore throat quacking noise' that my scooter was putting out did nothing to prevent an impending 'bump'. I had stopped about a bike length from the car initially. In the end the traffic light changed and he engaged his hill start procedure, and my only saving manoeuvre would have been to climb off and get my self out of his way. I couldn't go right onto the oncoming traffic, I couldn't go left onto the path with pedestrians and curbs. These bad boys I think may have disabled his vehicle/taken his tyres out/stalled his engine with the nuclear impulse/at the very least given him a much needed wake up !. They were already fitted to my CX when I bought it, but a definite must for my CB ( along with a new front tyre ) LOL
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 4:03 pm

@wornsprokets wrote:I get that also especially amazon ..not that far from uk... i expect it in iceland...not ireland

Overcharging people for postage is easy money: a proportion of people won't notice and a proportion won't care - if you are overcharging them enough (and you have a product that they want to buy) you'll win. It's not a good way to increase customer satisfaction though...
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 5:19 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:
@wornsprokets wrote:I get that also especially amazon ..not that far from uk... i expect it in iceland...not ireland

Overcharging people for postage is easy money: a proportion of people won't notice and a proportion won't care - if you are overcharging them enough (and you have a product that they want to buy) you'll win.  It's not a good way to increase customer satisfaction though...

steam packet isle of man sailing costs come to mind... dunno why..
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 7:58 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:steam packet isle of man sailing costs come to mind... dunno why..

Funny you should say that, because that is the reason I have never visited the Isle of Man. Neither for the racing and nor even though I have a relative there. I just can't co-operate in being ripped off.
Alvi

Post by Alvi on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 9:30 pm

I've come to accept it as one of the costs of living here. On the plus side, we don't have to pay travel or accomodation costs for TT, MGP or S100 so I guess that pays for a few trips  Wink. It's actually cheaper now than it was in the '80s when I moved here. There were no offers or deals then, just a 5 tier fare structure based on when you were travelling - cheapest winter evening sailings, dearest summer daytime. It didn't matter if you were going for 2 days or 2 months, same price. The tip is, book a short stay offer, avoid school holidays & weekend travel, and book well in advance. And most important, avoid TT! If you do want to come over for it, travel as a foot passenger & hire a bike, or bring it over the week before & leave it in my garden - don't expect covered parking though, I can't even get all my bike in the shed!  Wink
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Wed 21 Dec 2016, 2:11 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:

Overcharging people for postage is easy money: a proportion of people won't notice and a proportion won't care - if you are overcharging them enough (and you have a product that they want to buy) you'll win.  It's not a good way to increase customer satisfaction though...

yes the costa packet company Neutral
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 22 Dec 2016, 9:20 am

@Jameshambleton wrote:

Yeah, the medium is different but the principle is the same :)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 15 Dec 2017, 2:08 pm