Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

So you think you're fast and/or your CB500 is slow...

eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

So you think you're fast and/or your CB500 is slow...

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 16 Dec 2016, 12:58 pm

I haven't watched all of Schaaf on youtube but this is the most amazing of his videos I've seen yet:

(In case you are wandering I'm an currently unemployed, mildly injured and very, very bored! So watching mentalists on youtube seems almost like a reasonable activity!)
Jameshambleton

Re: So you think you're fast and/or your CB500 is slow...

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 16 Dec 2016, 2:02 pm

eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 16 Dec 2016, 5:04 pm

I didn't know you'd done these as playlists/channels (whatever)! Will have to have a look. Of course now that I've noticed these I haven't got time to have a look as I have to do something 'useful' like washing up.... :)
Tricky.
the 900
the 900

Post by Tricky. on Fri 16 Dec 2016, 7:04 pm

eternally_troubled wrote:I haven't watched all of Schaaf on youtube but this is the most amazing of his videos I've seen yet:

(In case you are wandering I'm an currently unemployed, mildly injured and very, very bored!  So watching mentalists on youtube seems almost like a reasonable activity!)

fun to watch but the lines are atrocious and he's smooth as lumpy porridge.  Shocked
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 16 Dec 2016, 8:17 pm

Tricky. wrote:

eternally_troubled wrote:I haven't watched all of Schaaf on youtube but this is the most amazing of his videos I've seen yet:

(In case you are wandering I'm an currently unemployed, mildly injured and very, very bored!  So watching mentalists on youtube seems almost like a reasonable activity!)

fun to watch but the lines are atrocious and he's smooth as lumpy porridge.  Shocked

very much so binary style of riding, speaking of binary I'd better get this assignment done
GlenAnderson
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by GlenAnderson on Sat 17 Dec 2016, 12:29 am

He's got big balls, that's for sure, but that's atrocious.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sat 17 Dec 2016, 1:57 am

What's binary mean here? And what's bad about his lines?

I've always thought it was just a matter of time before something quite bad happens to this rider yet still he carries on.
hh_12345
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by hh_12345 on Sat 17 Dec 2016, 9:31 am

trevor machine wrote:I've always thought it was just a matter of time before something quite bad happens to this rider yet still he carries on.

I think he is quite careful and concentrated. I guess that he has slowly progressed to this type of riding, in that way when you do not actually aim at being fast or good, but after some years it naturally and effortlessly comes to you.

The first time I saw a video of his I thought it was just reckless and I also did not expect it to last. I still find it very risky, I would never even try to do it. affraid
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sat 17 Dec 2016, 12:21 pm

I think hes a skilled rider but riding like that on road is a liability...his luck run out and he hit somthing head on...i hope i am wrong... he crashed recently on soft ground goin into a forest type thing...and he didnt slow down....
GlenAnderson
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by GlenAnderson on Sat 17 Dec 2016, 2:23 pm

trevor machine wrote:What's binary mean here? And what's bad about his lines?

I've always thought it was just a matter of time before something quite bad happens to this rider yet still he carries on.

He rides like a teenager on a 125. 

He's too on/off with the throttle and the brakes. On a more powerful bike, that alone will have you off in double-quick time. His transitions into the curves are too on/off as well. He's changing line mid-corner, which unsettles the bike massively; on a poorer surface or with a less forgiving machine than a CB500, that is also enough to have you off pretty quick. He's riding the bike like it is a video game, not like it's an actual physical machine with mechanical components, gravity and inertia all playing a part in the equation. Too hard on the throttle and too hard on the brakes. He's ragging the nuts off the engine and is in way too low a gear most of the time. 

If you want to ride fast, you first need to learn how to ride smooth. You pick a line around the corner that you can hold all the way, you get your entry speed right so you don't have to change your line, you hold the speed to the point you can start accelerating out, and you accelerate progressively. If you brake that hard, you're going too damn fast in the first place, and if you can accelerate that hard you've slowed down too damn much. 

I'd put a months money on the fact that an experienced rider could cover that ground quicker, yet look slower doing it. Except for the fact that an experienced rider would likely decide it was too risky. 

And yes, it's only a matter of time before he comes a cropper.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sat 17 Dec 2016, 3:51 pm

Oh okay yeah good points, well made. Fwiw I especially agree with the importance of smoothness.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 17 Dec 2016, 5:23 pm

Tricky. wrote:

fun to watch but the lines are atrocious and he's smooth as lumpy porridge.  :shock:

I think the lumpiness and on-off style is why he is fun to watch - I'm not sure I would be too impressed if I was trying to follow him in real life (I think I'd be too scared he was going to crash!)
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sat 17 Dec 2016, 6:08 pm

the smoother you are the faster you go and that doesn't   seem to be him he looks like an ambulance ride waiting to happen, one thing is for sure I wouldn't hitch a ride with him I would sooner walk Neutral
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sat 17 Dec 2016, 6:13 pm

Yeah it's entertaining, in some ways. But I find myself watching through the gaps in my fingers. Laughing
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 17 Dec 2016, 6:23 pm

trevor machine wrote:What's binary mean here?
On and off, as in the throttle.
Tricky.
the 900
the 900

Post by Tricky. on Sat 17 Dec 2016, 6:38 pm

GlenAnderson wrote:

trevor machine wrote:What's binary mean here? And what's bad about his lines?

He rides like a teenager on a 125. 

He's too on/off with the throttle and the brakes. On a more powerful bike, that alone will have you off in double-quick time. His transitions into the curves are too on/off as well. He's changing line mid-corner, which unsettles the bike massively; on a poorer surface or with a less forgiving machine than a CB500, that is also enough to have you off pretty quick. He's riding the bike like it is a video game, not like it's an actual physical machine with mechanical components, gravity and inertia all playing a part in the equation. Too hard on the throttle and too hard on the brakes. He's ragging the nuts off the engine and is in way too low a gear most of the time. 

If you want to ride fast, you first need to learn how to ride smooth. You pick a line around the corner that you can hold all the way, you get your entry speed right so you don't have to change your line, you hold the speed to the point you can start accelerating out, and you accelerate progressively. If you brake that hard, you're going too damn fast in the first place, and if you can accelerate that hard you've slowed down too damn much. 

I'd put a months money on the fact that an experienced rider could cover that ground quicker, yet look slower doing it. Except for the fact that an experienced rider would likely decide it was too risky. 

And yes, it's only a matter of time before he comes a cropper.

i was going to write a reply, but i think you have covered roughly what i would of said, good post Glen.
spitonyourgrave22
Admin
Admin

Post by spitonyourgrave22 on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 1:43 pm

Yeah I agree with what you guys are saying. When I was younger and more brave/stupid, I could get pretty fast on my route to work, and would take corners like this. I never had incident, never had a car pull out or anything. But I agree his style is very aggressive in the wrong areas. Too much of everything, and a smoother rider would be able to carry more speed.
spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 11:25 am

Watched this out of curiosity, but am most definitely not subscribing. Complete nobber and should not be on the road. Hope that tank bag doubles as an air bag. Unimpressed !
dodger
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by dodger on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 11:56 am

Had my CB so long and covered so many miles on it ,it feels like pulling on a comftable glove when I get on it ,I tend to ride exactly the same in wet or dry conditions ,maybe I need to think about my riding style ,something I never thought about before ,just like the gear indicator thread !!!!!!!!!.
SINCE JOINING THIS FORUM I HAVE CERTAINLY STARTED THINKING MORE !!!!!!!!!!!.
hh_12345
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by hh_12345 on Mon 12 Jun 2017, 7:26 am

Looks like he has gone down. I hope he gets well soon.

Not my stile of riding, and I can never watch a riding video of anything until the end, but still enjoyed watching a few minutes of his riding from time to time and the praise for the cb.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 24 Oct 2017, 1:09 am